My First E9 Day

E9inus Maximus

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm ecstatic to finally own my first 1972 E9 3.0 CSi Coupe (appears Euro Spec with KMH gauge cluster and all German decals inside and out). It is original Fjord Blue with one re-spray and a navy leather interior. It needs some TLC but is largely complete, very drivable and appears mostly original with the usual rust spots although not that visible compared to what I've seen. I'm no stranger to the automotive world, I've restored several cars in the past but this is without a doubt one of my absolute favorite all time coupes. I've missed out on many but patiently waited a very long time for this moment. My first question to anyone who can help is that my 7 digit VIN is 2263319 and other than it more than likely being a Hoffman imported car....I cannot find anything accurate about it or its VIN. Any help, warnings, random tech advice....etc. Feel free to chime in. It's currently on a transport truck headed straight to Miami Engines (BMW only) for a complete engine rebuild with light more streetable modifications. Yes, I bought the E9 BMW workshop manuals, own several German vehicles and have my Schwaben tools. Happy to be here. All input appreciated as I'm familiarizing myself with it now.
Cheers to all.
Dan
Miami Watch Brokers

Last edited:

BikeRider

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm ecstatic to finally own my first E9 3.0 CSi Coupe (appears Euro Spec with KMH gauge cluster and all German decals inside and out). It is light blue, possibly Fjord Blue with a navy leather interior. It needs quite a bit of TLC but very complete, very drivable and appears mostly original with the usual rust I'm sure although not that visible compared to what I've seen. I'm no stranger to the automotive world. I have restored several cars in the past but this is one of my absolute favorite cars ever. I've missed out on many but patiently waited a very long time for this moment. My first question to anyone who can help is that my 7 digit VIN is 2263319 and other than it more than likely being a Hoffman imported car....I cannot find anything single thing about it. Any help, warnings, random tech advice....etc. Feel free to chime in. It's currently on a transport truck headed straight to Miami Engines (BMW only) for a complete engine rebuild with light more streetable modifications. Yes, I bought the E9 BMW workshop manuals, own several German vehicles and have my Schwaben tools. Happy to be here. All input appreciated as I'm familiarizing myself with it now.
Cheers to all.
Dan
Miami Watch Brokers
congratulations Dan. I just got one as well, and it's already bringing a lot of joy just doing a few minor things while I wait for Tags...I've had these cars on my radar for about 5 years...they are beautiful.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, Hoffman didn’t import CSI’s as far as I know. He dealt with US spec cars. CSI’s we’re euro only, and yours likely arrived in the 80’s or later.

@tferrer didn’t spell it out. If you are modifying your motor, preserve the original harness and fuel injection components. None of it is easy to find. Barring a few exceptions, a stock CSI drivetrain is worth more than modified.

E9inus Maximus

Site Donor $
Reaction score
congratulations Dan. I just got one as well, and it's already bringing a lot of joy just doing a few minor things while I wait for Tags...I've had these cars on my radar for about 5 years...they are beautiful.
Lol...been shopping close to 10 years for mine, I wanted unrestored and as original as possible to use as a blank canvas. Here we go again.....

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the CSi club.

If you have the original head, replace it with one form an E28 or later M30 with drilled water jackets.

5-speed is the best streetable mod, whatever platform you use modify the the shift rod to use a threaded knob, so no one knows it's been modified.

Look forward to photos.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
5-speed is the best streetable mod, whatever platform you use modify the the shift rod to use a threaded knob, so no one knows it's been modified.

Look forward to photos.
I second the 5-speed upgrade, but they are getting harder to find. I was lucky 6 years ago and found a rebuilt one, now virtually unobtanium.
By the way, the threads for the shift knob are 15mm x 1.5 Metric, a size that isn't that common. I did find a tap on eBay for not very much when I was tooling up to make my own shift knob. You'd need a die that size for the shifter to match.

E9inus Maximus

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congrats! I'm originally from Miami. So you're going to modify the engine? Dumping all the original D-Jet system then?
I also live in Miami although I'm sure Miami Engines will advise the best course of action regarding the D Jet. I always thought the D stood for Druck or pressurized injection system. I want to leave it as original as possible but with a bit more grunt. Porting and polishing, headers and some valve work without compromising too much. I do want to drive the hell out of it, I'll never sell it....After seeing CSL Batmobiles tearing up Spa and Monza, I've wanted one since I'm 7.

E9inus Maximus

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the CSi club.

If you have the original head, replace it with one form an E28 or later M30 with drilled water jackets.

Look forward to photos.
I'd probably stick to an M30 with drilled water jackets. No question about upgrading to 5 speed....it's begging for an extra gear in stock form.

E9inus Maximus

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FWIW, Hoffman didn’t import CSI’s as far as I know. He dealt with US spec cars. CSI’s we’re euro only, and yours likely arrived in the 80’s or later.

@tferrer didn’t spell it out. If you are modifying your motor, preserve the original harness and fuel injection components. None of it is easy to find. Barring a few exceptions, a stock CSI drivetrain is worth more than modified.
Good to know. Interesting info regarding Hoffman although I was told there were some CSi's but it's anyone's guess, not much accurate info available out there. I'm a hoarder...I keep all my extra parts and can see how few are available for E9's. FWIW the unmodified drivetrain looks and feels excellent in mine as though it's been gone through.

E9inus Maximus

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats! I always start with the FAQs and work my way out from there:

General FAQs

This includes an email address at BMW where you can request info on your coupe.

VIN Production Range

-Dan
Got it, thanks. Check the FAQ's off the list, scanning them now. I sent an email to the specific BMW department regarding the VIN early on before taking possession of the car but they're no longer taking requests for a few more months.

E9inus Maximus

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I second the 5-speed upgrade, but they are getting harder to find. I was lucky 6 years ago and found a rebuilt one, now virtually unobtanium.
By the way, the threads for the shift knob are 15mm x 1.5 Metric, a size that isn't that common. I did find a tap on eBay for not very much when I was tooling up to make my own shift knob. You'd need a die that size for the shifter to match.
Oh yeah...looking for a 5 speed so if anyone has or knows, please LMK. I can re-tap the knob threads, no problem there. TY

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also live in Miami although I'm sure Miami Engines will advise the best course of action regarding the D Jet. I always thought the D stood for Druck or pressurized injection system. I want to leave it as original as possible but with a bit more grunt. Porting and polishing, headers and some valve work without compromising too much. I do want to drive the hell out of it, I'll never sell it....After seeing CSL Batmobiles tearing up Spa and Monza, I've wanted one since I'm 7.
Just an FYI - very few people know much of anything beyond the basic principles about the D-jet on the coupes. Just food for thought. Don't assume Miami engines knows their way around them because people that have been working on them for years still shake their heads at times. Parts are impossible to get and if you mod the engine then all bets are off. You can replace the D-jet and mod and tune to your delight with great results but be careful if you want to keep the injection stock. It's all analog and set for relatively narrow parameters which is all black box unless you have the specific D-jet testing equip. Not trying to be a kill joy but I've unfortunately gotten a lot more experience as of late and not the super fun, wind in your hair type..

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good to know. Interesting info regarding Hoffman although I was told there were some CSi's but it's anyone's guess, not much accurate info available out there. I'm a hoarder...I keep all my extra parts and can see how few are available for E9's. FWIW the unmodified drivetrain looks and feels excellent in mine as though it's been gone through.
Hoffman could not import vehicles that were not approved by the EPA/DOT as they didn’t meet emission standards.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI: Vintage Sports & Restoration in Bedford NH, 603-228-2888. Worth a call to Mario or Chris Langsten.
They have restored My 1973 CSi, 1973 2002Tii, 1988 M5, & 1968 1600 Cabriolet & purchased 3 BMWs from or through them, 2007 Z4 Coupe, 1988 M5 & the 1968 1600 Cabriolet.

They rebuilt my D-Jet harness in 2016. Cleaned all the plug connections & installed new boots. Had to send out the MAP Sensor to be rebuilt & installed a 123 Distributor, be sure to get the helix milled BMW spindle too. https://123ignitionusa.com/123-bmw-...-6-cyl-bmw-engines-with-d-jetronic-injection/

E9inus Maximus

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI: Vintage Sports & Restoration in Bedford NH, 603-228-2888. Worth a call to Mario or Chris Langsten.
They have restored My 1973 CSi, 1973 2002Tii, 1988 M5, & 1968 1600 Cabriolet & purchased 3 BMWs from or through them, 2007 Z4 Coupe, 1988 M5 & the 1968 1600 Cabriolet.

They rebuilt my D-Jet harness in 2016. Cleaned all the plug connections & installed new boots. Had to send out the MAP Sensor to be rebuilt & installed a 123 Distributor, be sure to get the helix milled BMW spindle too. https://123ignitionusa.com/123-bmw-...-6-cyl-bmw-engines-with-d-jetronic-injection/
Great info. Many thanks. I'll definitely look into them.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
For future Djet problems ( not saying you will have any ) get friendly SFDon. Buy, as soon as you see them , MAP sensors, trigger points, fuel pressure regulators, throttle switches. Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the craziness!