My new to me 73’ 3.0cs

Bejoe16

Reaction score
I have a few questions to ask you guys. It has new paint but the engine bay has not been painted. has an original underbody with peeling areas of undercoat. So it will get an engine bay paint/restoration plus a 5 speed swap. The question I have is this engine is numbers matching but I have an m90 almost ready to go. Even keeping original engine I was going to do the csi set up from my other e9. Would it be best to rebuild numbers matching engine and do csi set up or m90 with the same set up?(both with megasquirt management) of course the numbers matching engine would be kept with the car. I plan to keep this car but don’t want to do anything to devalue the car. Next question is a tough one. Since it is freshly painted. The underbody needs to be redone for me to feel comfortable driving it for rust reasons. How would one go about about? Rotisserie? Lift and just get as much as possible? What undercoating process protects best?
cd87785b5a3e273bdba4aab414b19ba3.jpg
105ee82d70f15190c18dedb1d9af7c02.jpg
157c93206070ca3309bf1794b00e9b25.jpg
5a083ea0f3f62dd9ca3820b0e8c16507.jpg
4855e0f290da96173c8743ed57b6905c.jpg
24468568f8e7a43a472df495486ce2be.jpg
20731d39af74f6c7a6ec76dcd0b53548.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
- M90
- Black interior
- 5 speed
- different steering wheel
- Hella headlights
- headliner
- clean garage

Bejoe16

Reaction score
This is my parents garage. As I am in the middle of enclosing my carport. So this is temporary storage. Interior color won’t change since seats are freshly reupholstered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
without spending a lot of money i would pressure wash the undercarriage
the get some 3m under car sealant and just spray the underbody
i did that and my area was similar to yours - now its all new looking and sealed all up
its looks brand new. i did power wire wheel some areas the were deteriorated and exposed.
go with above - i also have my numbered engine wraped up for future buyers.
i think in some areas i cleaned and applied a light coat of bondo to smooth out areas that were down to metal as you have
then in the interior -get some heat applied sound deadening to do the whole interior
even on the interior side panel behind all windows. and kick panel area.

Last edited:

Bejoe16

Reaction score
Small update. Also looking for opinions. I recently picked up a dogleg and 3.07 lsd. The plans were m90/265/3.45lsd but now I have dogleg and 3.07lsd as an option. I have two getrag 265/ODs and now this dogleg. Any recommendations? Either way will have the m90

F75B63A2-B40F-4E26-A915-7C3DEF37E9A6.jpeg
2917FB06-01E7-4000-A8CA-827E86D01458.jpeg
86B91168-AAD1-4CF2-A688-3F6ECD5D7A6E.jpeg

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
M90 for sure, close ratio box and proper 3.07. This makes for a great combo, ask anyone who’s had an early euro 635 Csi. There’s something fun about shoving the gear shift forward under hard acceleration. Also, it’s basically what I’m putting in my car and I’m fortunate to have almost every drive train option. Your car looks great. Very clean underneath.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good plan either way. Plus:
- Hella headlights
- Alpina steering wheel
- Remove A/C
- New keychain

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Small update. Also looking for opinions. I recently picked up a dogleg and 3.07 lsd. The plans were m90/265/3.45lsd but now I have dogleg and 3.07lsd as an option. I have two getrag 265/ODs and now this dogleg. Any recommendations? Either way will have the m90

View attachment 136519View attachment 136520View attachment 136521

all good options, I would keep the matching numbers, though

BTW, which blue colour is your coupe ?, is that atlantik, baikal, … ?

Bejoe16

Reaction score
all good options, I would keep the matching numbers, though

BTW, which blue colour is your coupe ?, is that atlantik, baikal, … ?
Good plan either way. Plus:
- Hella headlights
- Alpina steering wheel
- Remove A/C
- New keychain
M90 for sure, close ratio box and proper 3.07. This makes for a great combo, ask anyone who’s had an early euro 635 Csi. There’s something fun about shoving the gear shift forward under hard acceleration. Also, it’s basically what I’m putting in my car and I’m fortunate to have almost every drive train option. Your car looks great. Very clean underneath.
@deQuincey I’ll be keeping numbers matching engine on a stand wrapped in plastic. It’s baikal.

@Arde curious as to why you suggest removing ac? I do plan to drive this quite a bit year round. Gets hot down here in South Georgia. Definitely looking into your other suggestions.

@Oldbmwcoupes this helps a lot. I haven’t driven but one coupe and never a dogleg. This is the way I’ve been leaning and now I’m pretty firm on doing the 3.07lsd and dogleg.

thanks all on your great replies. This may end up being sort of a build thread. Things happen slowly due to other projects and limited funds.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Arde curious as to why you suggest removing ac? I do plan to drive this quite a bit year round. Gets hot down here in South Georgia. Definitely looking into your other suggestions.
I thought in a real hot weather the E9 A/C would not suffice, so it is just load and clutter for the engine.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Arde, I’d give good consideration into keeping the a/c. I’m in the south as well (Memphis and the Alabama gulf coast) the southern heat and humidity are rough to say the least. The extensive green house affect of our coupes exaggerates this. There are several threads in the forum on how to make your a/c perform up to modern standards. @Stevehose has really spent time getting his system highly functional and documenting this for others on the forum (I think he’s in the New Orleans area). I plan to copy what he’s done rather than play with trial and possibly error. We are fortunate in the south to have basically 12 months of driving weather. However, contrary to the northern areas, our coupes without a/c become a tough drive from June to September. Looking forward to seeing/hearing what you do.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@deQuincey I’ll be keeping numbers matching engine on a stand wrapped in plastic. It’s baikal.

@Oldbmwcoupes this helps a lot. I haven’t driven but one coupe and never a dogleg. This is the way I’ve been leaning and now I’m pretty firm on doing the 3.07lsd and dogleg.

thanks all on your great replies. This may end up being sort of a build thread. Things happen slowly due to other projects and limited funds.

thank you,

was that baikal repaint done using GLASURIT ? Ppt ? Other paint brand ?
thank you

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde, I’d give good consideration into keeping the a/c. I’m in the south as well (Memphis and the Alabama gulf coast) the southern heat and humidity are rough to say the least. The extensive green house affect of our coupes exaggerates this. There are several threads in the forum on how to make your a/c perform up to modern standards. @Stevehose has really spent time getting his system highly functional and documenting this for others on the forum (I think he’s in the New Orleans area). I plan to copy what he’s done rather than play with trial and possibly error. We are fortunate in the south to have basically 12 months of driving weather. However, contrary to the northern areas, our coupes without a/c become a tough drive from June to September. Looking forward to seeing/hearing what you do.
I hear you. My E9 has no A/C, but I was reacting based on the poor A/C of my E24.
I think I saw the threads. In my ignorance I would favor window tinting and perhaps moving to Nor Cal :).

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The a/c will not cool the car down if it's been parked while baking in the hot southern sun. It will keep you cool during morning and evening drives, and keep you alive mid day. If you get caught in rain it will keep windshield from fogging up. It's great on road trips. I would like to put some clear UV tint on my windows, except the front and rear windshields are a big challenge for installers because of the curves, this would help the a/c in a big way.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believ that @vince has a G265/6 in his e9,
and I know he had a dogleg on his euro e24. My hunch is that you would like the G265/6 better than the dogleg. Even with the taller diff, you will be rowing through the gears.

I plan to put a dogleg in mine but only for the novelty of the dogleg trans.