My V8 914 on BaT

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMG_5839 copy.jpeg

Wish me luck. This is a fun little car, but not exactly today's BaT audience. BaT has become more of a high end used car marketplace. Actual vintage collector cars are not as common as in the past. Modified vintage collector cars are even rarer. They are doing what works...and it's hard to fault that.

We'll see. The buy in is cheap and it's good entertainment if nothing else. :)

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like it is well sorted out car. I think it would be a blast to own and maybe turn it into a 914-6 someday (I assume that was a flat 6, don't know how available they are)?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've always had a love for the unloved...sold my 914-4 two summers ago (still regret it, but for my left hip...since replaced). I thought that the steering was light in that car...curious what that added not-quite-central weight did to the handling of yours? Lovely build, best of luck with the sale.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've always had a love for the unloved...sold my 914-4 two summers ago (still regret it, but for my left hip...since replaced). I thought that the steering was light in that car...curious what that added not-quite-central weight did to the handling of yours? Lovely build, best of luck with the sale.
Dave,
I have never driven a 914-4 so I really don't know. I haven't pushed this one very hard in the twisties, but it seems well planted. Steering is light but not vague. It does not do the snap trailing throttle oversteer like a true rear engine car does. I think one thing that helps is that I got rid of the stock nose high stance of a 914. It's easy to do with the torsion bar suspension. I wonder if that would help put some feel into a stock 914's steering. Also, my tires are 195 70 15. Stock was 165 80 15. That probably helps too.

Speaking of love for the unloved, I'm the guy that just restored an E3. Talking about unloved. ;)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Those poor little half shafts! :D
Like the trany, they are also good for under 300 ft lbs of torque. Side stepping the clutch at 4,000 is not advised ;)

Aftermarket, beefy ones are available. More HP is a slippery slope, however. You are then into a Pantera transmission (or at least a Boxster), chassis stiffening, roll cage, big tires and the accompanying body mods, bigger brakes, etc, etc. Pretty soon you are getting close to an E9 budget. :)

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My compliments Dick. That is one stunning build. Ultimate Mid-engined V8 sleeper. Pantera killer. Must be a blast to drive. Good luck!

jmackro

Reaction score
Dick:

I'm watching (though not bidding on) your auction. I like BaT user racingrob's comment: "Too bad this wasn’t done to a 75 model year. Then it wouldn’t have issues passing California smog." And I heartily agree with Slam254 who said: "I really like that it doesn’t have flared fenders. It looks CLEAN ! ".

Dick Steinkamp said:
Speaking of love for the unloved, I'm the guy that just restored an E3. Talking about unloved.

Well, e3's are loved here!

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
View attachment 117471

Wish me luck. This is a fun little car, but not exactly today's BaT audience. BaT has become more of a high end used car marketplace. Actual vintage collector cars are not as common as in the past. Modified vintage collector cars are even rarer. They are doing what works...and it's hard to fault that.

We'll see. The buy in is cheap and it's good entertainment if nothing else. :)
:cool:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dick, I too am one of those who loves the unloved. I have owned four Bavaria's in various states. My favorite sedan, period. A buddy just brought a '72 2002 RHD Bauer Targa across the pond. Did Porsche borrow from Bauer or vice versa. The hard, slip it in the trunk panel, the beefy, black "roll bar"?

The ultimate 914.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm guessing the serious folk are waiting until things wind down to the last 1/2 day or so. I'm not in the 914 market so I wouldn't even venture a guess but hotrodded 914s with 3.2/3.5s and done well have gotten into 6 figures in the past... And this is every bit as nice...

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm guessing the serious folk are waiting until things wind down to the last 1/2 day or so. I'm not in the 914 market so I wouldn't even venture a guess but hotrodded 914s with 3.2/3.5s and done well have gotten into 6 figures in the past... And this is every bit as nice...
Yes...the normal pattern is that bids slow down or stop until the last couple of hours. Most bidders have figured out that they are only bidding against themselves if they bid any earlier.

The best way to a $100k 914 is with a real 914-6 with the original numbers matching 2.0 liter 6. There are some big 6 914 conversions that have made $100k, however. They generally look like Singer would have done them :oops:. :love:.

A Chevy V8 car is another story. I think a 4 cylinder 914 that looked like my car would do better than my car will. Non Porsche powered Porsches are not allowed in the PCA and most Porsche owners and followers consider anything other than a Porsche motor in a Porsche as blasphemous. The market is limited for a Chevy powered Porsche.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I agree for the most part but there are a few Porsche diehards that are also hotrodders and with the rebuild cost on air-cooled 6's over 25k now a lot of the guys are getting more open minded. I go to the Easy meet every month which is as die-hard air-cooled as you can get with a great majority of the R-Gruppe there. This showed up and was mobbed with people. Now, would they open their wallet for it? Who knows but I think there's a slice of the Porsche world that "gets" a very well done, non-traditional build. We'll see in a few days though. I for one,would love to have something similar to your car...

20210403_081050.jpg
IMG_20210403_131031_840.jpg
20210403_080554.jpg