Need a little advice on my center consul

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps...(from an automatic)...
Looks like the (chipcore/vinyl) piece at the front of the shift platform, that back screws to the platform. Might this get the radio and air face plate up to fill the void above it? Probably only lifts it up 1/4" or so, tho. One on the right in pic 3 is also missing this piece. IMG_2868.JPGIMG_2869.JPGIMG_2870.JPGMight be above my payscale...

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well you are missing some anchor point in that center dash. There are two brackets that hold the sides to each other and are also attached to the tunnel so the sides should not move. there is also a vertical board way in the back that also holds the sides together. Finally a thrid bracket under the shifter. Then the climate control setup is screwed into each side as is the vent/radio plate. Overall, none of these should move. The shifter boot/surround is only held by some screws that are revealed when you take the window switches out and fairly flimsy. I see someone modified yours as there are screws in the front.

Dave is correct as usual.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And now that I look again, your shift platform itself looks about a 1/2" ,at least, too high, relative to the console side pieces that "capture it" ? Has the attachment bracket been changed?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well you are missing some anchor point in that center dash. There are two brackets that hold the sides to each other and are also attached to the tunnel so the sides should not move. there is also a vertical board way in the back that also holds the sides together. Finally a thrid bracket under the shifter. Then the climate control setup is screwed into each side as is the vent/radio plate. Overall, none of these should moved. The shifter boot/surround is only held by some screws that are revealed when you take the window switches out and fairly flimsy. I see someone modified yours as there are screws in the front.

Dave is correct as usual.
I cheated...I have a few of the platforms handy, and three of the four have that little piece, the fourth is missing it but has the screw holes.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I cheated...I have a few of the platforms handy, and three of the four have that little piece, the fourth is missing it but has the screw holes.
Any chance you would let some of these extra parts go? Please let me know and thank you
Any chance you would sell me some of these extra parts? Please DM and thanks so much

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The manual trans doesn’t use the soft piece between the platform and the a/c panel. And not all coupes have a lower bracket on the tunnel with screws on the lower console sides, my 73 does not. The issue is your console isn’t tight enough up to the dash rail, it has to be snug up top. That is done with the screws under the two side air intake panel covers that holds the console side panels to the heater/fresh air panel. These are two long machine screws, not coarse screws. Then, there are two coarse screws on each side that attach the a/c panel to the side panels, they screw into speed clips on the a/c panel. That will raise your a/c panel up to the heater panel. Lastly there is one screw on each side at the firewall where a coarse screw threads into a speed clip but this only holds the console to the tunnel a bit. The shift platform itself is held to the side panels by a coarse screw on each side that you can see after removing the window switches. Your leather shift boot can be replaced easily with the platform removed, Coupeking I think still sells shift boots.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Once you remove the shifter setup, the missing parts should become apparent. I would wait till then. I may have some brackets if that is ultimately what is missing.

Perhaps the differences are related to AC? Mine is a 73, got 3 brackets holding the sides. Will say, getting that center console to fit nicely is about as bad as window alignment.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Once you remove the shifter setup, the missing parts should become apparent. I would wait till then. I may have some brackets if that is ultimately what is missing.

Perhaps the differences are related to AC? Mine is a 73, got 3 brackets holding the sides. Will say, getting that center console to fit nicely is about as bad as window alignment.
Omg getting my windows working properly was a huge adventure taking many people multiple hours. I hope this is not as hard
I am bringing my car in for some attention on minor things on Tuesday I will have them photograph what is there so we can determine what parts I need and take it from there. Thanks again for all your help

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You might search some interior shots on this forum to print and take to them of how it should look properly finished. I wish I could say mine is, but it's spaghetti right now.

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Latest project to think about is my center console. My car had one owner for 45 yrs who sold it to his neighbor for three years who sold it to a broker. The center console does not look original. Any thoughts on what is not right?
2CB824AF-2E06-4ED4-A1A7-543AA36C04E3.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Please see the attached video and let me know if you can assist in any fashion. Thanks much
IMHO
This is not rocket science, and is one of the most simple interior component in the whole car.

IIRC, AC panel is held in position independent of the shifter console.

I’ve driven my car with the shifter console completely removed and the AC panel is still nice & tight against the bottom of the dash.

As HBC correctly says, the alignment of the AC panel relative to the dash is determined by just 4 screws that attach the AC panel to the two side pieces (see pic from parts book).

If your shop can’t out figure something as simple as 4 screws … find another shop.

And, bring the BMW factory parts picture so they can see how it all goes together.

John

Attachments

• 7F3A4F77-635B-4419-A55F-F3479F8E8B8B.jpeg
    7F3A4F77-635B-4419-A55F-F3479F8E8B8B.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: GPD

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dashboard travails:

There are times when it seems like all the idiots in America have moved close to Scott and become auto mechanics. It never fails to amaze me how they screw up even the simplest of jobs on Scotts car.

John