need a working power steering pump

ceylon_cs

Reaction score
My 72 CS power steering belt just broke today. Some loud screechy noise before it broke. I checked the steering pump and rotating the pulley by hand was not smooth at all. I could rotate it a 1/4 turn before it gets stuck. Anyone has a good lead on rebuilding one of these or is there a place I can get a new one? Thanks in advance.

Malc

Reaction score
I have a spare one, but I am in the UK!

See if any of your local scrap yards have any E3 (Bavaria) early E28's kicking about as they basically used the same pump. THough the mounting can be a little different

In fact the pump from early mercs is suspiciously similar!

Malc

AndyM

Reaction score
You can find rebuilt ones, but they are expensive. Check with any of the usual suspects. You can also still get the bearings and seals if you are willing to try and rebuild it or have someone do it locally. Mine went out a few months ago and I replaced it with a spare I had from an E28. I wasn't quite a direct bolt on. I had to mix and match some of the mounting hardware. I also ended up having to use banjo bolts with -an fittings and custom hoses since the hose fittings are different sizes and the E28 lower hose woundn't clear the framerail on the coupe. Still cheaper than a rebuilt original. I believe there is a slight pressure difference since the steering seems to require a little bit more effort compared to the stock pump.