Need advice for colour choice for 71 Bavaria

Tierfreund

Reaction score
I´ve got a very nice 71 3.0S that is currently Chamonix (original color but not original paint). The interior is black velour, stock wheels and hubcabs, all chrome in place and in very good nick, (factory) tinted windows (greenish).

Since the paint has some partial resprays that don´t fully match the rest and since I really can´t stand the dirty white anymore (enhanced by my parking space neighbour beeing a very nice bright white Pagoda) I´m looking at a complete respray.

I´d like to stick to a color that was factory available in 71 for the E3 or at lleast factory available for the E3 during it´s build time. Non metallic is a more realistic choice for the model year and easier to respray partially (hey, it´s a 71 BMW driven as a daily driver in even the lousiest wether, so some repairs / resprays in the future are inevitable). These are preferences, not conditions...

The interior is very nice (and hard to come by in really good condition theses days), so I´d prefer it to stay the way it is.

Trouble is, I really cannot make up my mind. Black is a safe bet I´d say but not really all that exciting on an E3.

Fjord is very nice, but every second restored E3 over here (germany) is fjord or silver...

Any suggestions / opinions / recommendations from the crowd? Any pictures that could convince me?

Resale / Value is not an issue, it´s a keeper (and as an E3 almost worthless (financially) anyway...)

Remember, it´s a BAV ("too bad, it´s a bav...") not a coupe, so some things that look great on the E9 (Inka / Ceylon / Gulf) look plain silly on the 4door.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Verona with black interior would be nice like G-man's:
IMG_4223.jpg

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Stevehose beat me to the punch; I was going to suggest Verona or Malga. I know you said a period-correct factory color, but I have to admit, an Anthracite E3 would look pretty slick. (E46 color) Daytonaviolet would also be nice, but it is also too late (E34) and metallic.

Orangener

Reaction score
Stevehose beat me to the punch; I was going to suggest Verona or Malga. I know you said a period-correct factory color, but I have to admit, an Anthracite E3 would look pretty slick. (E46 color) Daytonaviolet would also be nice, but it is also too late (E34) and metallic.

Verona and Malaga, anthracite and granatrot, also a good choice !

04axx006.jpg
04axx010.jpg

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Oh, uh, I´m surprised. That verona looks a lot nicer than I thought. Worth considering.

Also, call me crazy, but I was also looking into bristol (a.k.a. battleship)...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've always liked Atlantik, it looks great with a black interior, ask BLUMAX, and I've never seen it on an e3. I am also partial to the darker colors like Agave and Malaga but Verona is also an excellent choice.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Whatever that color is on the four door post by Orenger gets my vote. A stunning grey? I am not quite sure. Do I see a hint of blue? Just a hint in the right light.

I have owned Coupes and Bavarias and I feel the lighter colors show off the lines and the "edges" or our cars better than the darker colors.

My three year old paint job on my Polaris 74 CSi is actually a Porsche Boxster silver that has that hint of grey in certain lights. I like the contrast of light paing, dark interior.

Steve

e3er

Reaction score
I much prefer interesting and bolder colours of their era, but maybe not the obvious choice, so my votes go to:

1. Sienabraun
2. Verona
3. + whatever on Jadegrun

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you so far for the opinions, the pictures and the encouragement. Still undecided but much enlightened.

Further comments, suggestions and pictures very welcome. I´ll even be as bold as to welcome Chicane to chime in (even though he´s recently been burned (as usual) in another E3 thread :-D)

Whatever the outcome, I do promise to share (with pictures).