never seen this stuff before (brush on chrome)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah yes. I have seen the video, and recall learning that the product is very expensive (so much so that you might just have the piece chromed). But it is pretty amazing to see.

jmackro

Reaction score
That video looks a little phony: you see the guy brush watery silver paint onto the larger form, then the camera cuts to the smaller form (which is nicely chromed - who knows by what process) then it cuts back to the larger form which now looks beautiful. Might these guys be substituting a conventionally-chromed larger form while the camera is cut away?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I appreciate the concerns - but I still think that this stuff, applied correctly and under the right circumstances may be legitimate. They seem to be outside, in full sun - don't know the temperature or humidity, but they appear to be wearing t-shirts. I re-watched the video and do not see any trickery. They do cut back and forth, but when they come back you can still see the product flashing and fading into a smooth, shiny coating. Don't get me wrong - I don't see any use for it on my coupe. And I don't think I am in need of popping for the product just to test it. But I think it might be an okay finish for certain, non-automotive applications. Maybe a radio controlled car body? Or interior light fixture canopy? I admit I might be too optimistic. :rolleyes:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's not phony, their coming up with a lot of new processes for this kind of stuff. I don't question what they show, seems legit to me, but it would be nice to see a scratch test or handle it a lot after it completely dries to get an idea of how hard it is. Typically, high silver/chrome-ish paint finishes are not very hard. If this stuff works well enough it would be great for the small chrome tape door trim pieces on 2002's, and might work just as well as chrome tape on other pieces.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Checkout Eastwood Chrome Powder Bonding. Sounds great but who really knows unless someone has used it.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used Eastwood chrome powder coating. Does a very nice job overall and is reasonably durable when it comes to abrasion resistance. Tried it on a radio bezel for my 2002 and it worked nicely. Don't have a photo of it as I botched the Black part and removed the chrome with bead blasting