New 3.0 CS owner in CA

Brennan Johnson

Reaction score
Hi group. I've long coveted the E9, and finally brought one home last week: 1973 3.0CS #2240688. I'm very very pleased. The car has been in CA its entire life, and the prior owner had it since the early 1980s. It is not perfect, but is a very solid driver in good condition. I'll get the mechanics sorted out (list below), have the one rust spot addressed (next week), and rebuild and install the original front seats (already at the upholstery shop).

My initial questions for the group: is the shop manual available? How about a restoration manual? Were 15" wheels offered in 1973? If so, I'd like to upgrade as it would sure look and handle better with larger wheels.

Here is the list of mechanical issues that I'll start to tackle this summer:

New radiator (existing one is leaking)
all new hoses
carburetor insulator blocks & gaskets leaking
rebuild carburetors
full tune up
cam cover gasket leaking
shifter linkage rebuild
replace bushings and ball joints
struts & shocks
window & door rubbers

Quite a list. Any suggestions on part sourcing is highly appreciated!

Brennan Johnson
Pismo Beach, CA

Attachments

• IMG_5018.jpg
    IMG_5018.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_5019.jpg
    IMG_5019.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_5020.jpg
    IMG_5020.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_5023.jpg
    IMG_5023.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_5097.jpg
    IMG_5097.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_5098.jpg
    IMG_5098.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_5099.jpg
    IMG_5099.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 498

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the group. Your front over riders are reversed left to right and upside down, the 73 is unique in this regard. The Blue Factory manual can be found on eBay and in reprinted versions, be sure to get the two book set, not the early one volume book. Restoration advice is here with many build threads. Original wheels are 14” which you have, there are aftermarket options, most go to 16s. Lots of threads here on parts suppliers as well.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice '73! Really like the wood dash!

I prefer wheels bigger than 14" too, but w/the right stance and rubber, it can look really nice!

1520741969e7dff9f98764daP1090813_zpsqjilrvte.jpg

152074194995d565ef66e7dP1090868_zpslnwgtu4h.jpg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes - Welcome to the group (support group - lol... in many ways).

It is good to see some one from SLO here... I graduated from Poly several moons ago and now up in Seattle.
If Rob from 2002haus is still around - he can be a great resource for both the 2002 and E3/E9's.

Good luck and welcome to the fun.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes - Welcome to the group (support group - lol... in many ways).

It is good to see some one from SLO here... I graduated from Poly several moons ago and now up in Seattle.
If Rob from 2002haus is still around - he can be a great resource for both the 2002 and E3/E9's.

Good luck and welcome to the fun.

Rob Torres is not around, he got into some trouble involving a weapon and spousal abuse, you can google him. Sad.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lovely car. Your current wheels and tires look fantastic!

I agree! I would lower it w/CN springs first. You'll be surprised how much better it'd look with the right stance.

Too bad about the side moulding; hopefully it's glued on and can be easily removed (heat gun, WD-40, dental floss or fishing line).

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All the way up in Pismo! Beautiful place. And beautiful car.

If you're looking for e9 company, Dave McFadyen @Blinkling is also in that area. Well, SLO actually. He hasn't been on the forum for a few months though.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Brennan - I am almost four years into my car; started with basic mechanical stuff like you. I always start with cooling system and electrical when buying a used car. I recommend belts in addition to hoses, and while you are taking the cooling system apart, do the water pump and tstat. Once the cooling system is updated, go through electrical next, including ignition, before you do your carbs. Carbs are hard to sort out with potential ignition system issues.

Also, as to 15 " wheels, Weds look great...

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Brennan! Have you treated your car to coffee and doughnuts yet? At least two E9s are semi-regulars at the Pismo Derelicts cars-and-coffee. Saturday, 7:30 to 9:00 AM, OSH / Ross parking lot at Oak Park Blvd. and James Way. It would be great if we could get more antique BMWs together up here; I otherwise hang out with the Volvo club and some of them get peeved when the BMW gets votes at their car show but they invite me ack anyway.