new clutch

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
in the rallycar i have a Tilton race clutch for a good year now , perhaps some max 3000 km... and is slipping .
i want to change again to a OEM clutch.... that race material has a great "bite" but cannot withstand any playing with the pedal. So in fact not suitable for street use. The disc are as brake pads material , not as a normal plate. Also alot smaller in diameter.
I wonder what strongest pressure plate we can find for our M30 flywheel ... ? the M635 type ?
My engine is a '86 , lucky i still have the OEM flywheel.

SAM_2429.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Don't think so Robert , i see the lined discs ( hard as brake pads ) and the pure sintered metalic ones... real race stuff. Bite and go... somebody told me that even riding on the trailor is already dangerous for the Tilton because of playing with the pedal.... ! :eek:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't think so Robert , i see the lined discs ( hard as brake pads ) and the pure sintered metalic ones... real race stuff. Bite and go... somebody told me that even riding on the trailor is already dangerous for the Tilton because of playing with the pedal.... ! :eek:

Okay, it was several years since I was into anything needing a Tilton clutch, but I just have a distant memory that there was street-able organic discs for them. This might have changed since then.
I know the more hardcore discs are horrible to deal with if it isn’t in pure racing use.

I’m sure the M5 clutch will be a good choice for your setup and use:)

bdigel

Reaction score
I have used several clutchs in my race cars and customers cars from Clutch masters. Bimmer world happens to be a dealer for them. They start with a stock type clutch and modify them . On my M30 powered car I used the one they made for an M5 . They have several variations for friction disc , and the pressure plate they modify will hold up to abuse. They change the fulcrum point for the pressure plate and reinforce the bands . This increases the clamp force while still allowing a streetable feel

http://www.clutchmasters.com/1988-1988-3-5l/

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
as far as i have found , alot '80s BMW like 5 , 6 , 7 series used the Sachs pressure plate 3082 147 033
Will go to dealer tomorrow to find out ... with next rally on 24 i have no time to order something in the US like ClutchMasters....

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Hello Michel , indeed Sachs... don't know if "performance" but it was good for 500NM... i have what ? 300 ?

michelk

Site Donor
Reaction score
hello
i did that for several years ago ,mounted in a csl,and also a lsd,what had drive ,,tulpenralley,,
never hear something bad
greet michel