New E3 Owner in Austin

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
tldr - Bought a '72 Fjord E3. Hi!

Long Version -

I have posted a few times, but was waiting to introduce myself until I had some sort of documentation of ownership. At least I have a bill of sale (there is a bonded title in my future). Already appreciate the support and advice here - thanks! Here is the story...

I don't yet have the car, it is still in CT waiting for some parts to come from Germany. PO is graciously providing the labor and getting the parts from Maximillain for me at his cost (he owns some repair shops). Needs a new exhaust and a mirror. I'll put on the missing brake pedal rubber pad myself. He's even installing some Vreds I sent up there.

The car is a Fjord over Gobi Tan. The car is believed to have 42k original miles. I do not have documentation, however there are few reasons I believe it may be true (and does not have 142k):

1. The PO to the PO emailed me today and said he bought it with 32k miles in 2008. Sold it to the PO a few years back.
2. The tires are dated 2004 and look nearly new, so I know it has not had many miles since 2004.
3. The car is in pretty darn good shape.
4. The odometer says 42k, isn't that proof?

The car appears quite unmolested. I'm told it was re-painted only once, under warranty by BMW, due to crazing. Common issue then, I understand. I believe my dad had his'73 Fjord 3.0s repainted for the same reason back then. Dad also had a 3.0si and a 530i after that. He was introduced to the marque when he worked at the factory one summer.

Pics below. Undercarriage also looks very good. Don't love the shift knob, but def looks like I could have scored one like that on Telegraph Ave in the '70s.

Side note - I have also purchased two other BMW's in the past month. One, a '76 Fjord, tastefully (to me) modified, 10 y.o., full body-off rebuild w/Metric Mechanic Rally 2400 motor, dual 45 DCOE's, 5 spd conversion, E21 Recaros, IE stage two and all that jazz. Two, a '72 2002 Inka-ish that needs a little polishing but is a very solid, strong running rust free and example. My last BMW was a 733i a long time ago.

Attachments

• 69ABC819-94C3-40B3-91A7-8EC4CE301ECC.jpeg
    69ABC819-94C3-40B3-91A7-8EC4CE301ECC.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 7F7ACAFE-56AE-4BE4-AF2E-BB7F6AF45658.jpeg
    7F7ACAFE-56AE-4BE4-AF2E-BB7F6AF45658.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 203
  • D8F1ADD4-2D4A-421D-88B9-796E3267BECB.jpeg
    D8F1ADD4-2D4A-421D-88B9-796E3267BECB.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 192
  • D461A68E-A47A-41D3-9BD0-B6085264C0B2.jpeg
    D461A68E-A47A-41D3-9BD0-B6085264C0B2.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 83844632-887E-445B-974D-CED5E2D4388F.jpeg
    83844632-887E-445B-974D-CED5E2D4388F.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 0D65C6A6-BBF8-46C7-8DAD-BFF3EAFAAC44.jpeg
    0D65C6A6-BBF8-46C7-8DAD-BFF3EAFAAC44.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 201

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had to look up tldr, I’m getting old I guess.

Amazing purchase! It certainly could be only 42K miles but after 48 years even 142K is only 3K per year. Is there a stamped service booklet to help determine mileage in its early years? Any other records? It looks lovely and in a great color combo too. I think BMW calls the interior nylon brown, earlier e3 had gold brown. Gobi is not a BMW name and is a lighter color used in 74-76 2002s but marketed by World Upholstery using that name. Share more pics when you get it home.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BMW will have color and build date, that is all. It is very rare to still have coil diagnostic plug wiring.

Last edited:

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BMW will have color and build date, that is all. It is very rare to still have coil diagnostic plug wiring.

In the past, mostly with Mercedes, I’ve been able to get service info via a dealer. Not so with BMW?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the past, mostly with Mercedes, I’ve been able to get service info via a dealer. Not so with BMW?
Unfortunately no. With a modern 17 digit vin that is possible but no one at the dealer will know what to do with a seven digit vin and BMW NA was not created until 1975.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome. Great looking Bavaria! Looks like the one I spotted on CL last month. As I suspected it’s a 72 not a 74 as listed.
I had to talk myself out of contacting the seller several times. Just no room. Getting ready to list our house so just not practical right now.
Glad it’s going to a good home. You are going to love it!
John

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cool Bavaria. I used to live in Darien CT where the CL ad lists the car. There are a lot of great cars tucked away in the area. Don't recall seeing this one out & about or at Caffeine & Carburetors in New Canaan on Elm or at Waveny Park.

Can send the VIN to [email protected] if you haven't already.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful car. Maybe it's just the photos but I always thought Fjord was slightly lighter.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@JMinNJ - Yes, it is that very car.

@ everyone for the congrats and warm welcome - thank you.

@dang - I said the same. And, I've had several conversations about that very subject - including one with @zinz who convinced me it was Fjord and who might care to chime-in.

But, I'm also told there are different shades of Fjord depending on year, who made the paint, etc. My Fjord 2002 is much lighter than the pictures of the E3 and I've always thought of it in the "traditional" lighter color.

The PO said Fjord. I've seen every sticker in pictures, including the color code sticker but without the color visible (ahhh). Could have it been repainted darker when BMW had the warranty repaint done? Maybe, but that would be strange and I think it would be visible.

I'll ask for a photo of the paint sticker. I won't get the car for probably another couple of weeks.I can almost see it in the attached pic! Is that a l or a d at the end? Maybe with someone with one or the other can look a their sticker and see where the competing words end?

Attachments

• B3FF9924-C098-4D05-AEA4-92DB1B734ADB_1_201_a.jpeg
    B3FF9924-C098-4D05-AEA4-92DB1B734ADB_1_201_a.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 180

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Mike Goble - Love Bob Wills. Oh, and, Jerry Jeff Walker lives a block down the street from us. Of course, being a Bay Area non-country music guy for most of my life, never heard of either until I moved to Austin.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@dang - I said the same. And, I've had several conversations about that very subject - including one with @zinz who convinced me it was Fjord and who might care to chime-in.

I had the same internet pictures as everyone... it's been repainted, it could be anything. It is blue... Show it to me in the daylight, with the BMW color match blue binder manual... beyond that, who knows what it is. I think the running opinion is that most of these early BMW metallic paint jobs failed pretty quickly and the cars were repainted, sometimes with Glasurit, many times not.

In the meantime, send the VIN to BMW and get the build date and what color it left the factory. I'm anxious to see it in person, it looks like a real winner.

Bob Wills, Waylon, Willie, Jerry Jeff... Austin has been a Mecca for all sorts of musicians over the years. I enjoyed the glory days of being able to see most of the big names on tiny stages; up close and personal. Nowadays... wow, the crowds, and you can't park anywhere close to the event.

Ed

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see it in person, it looks like a real winner..

Nowadays... wow, the crowds, and you can't park anywhere close to the event.

Ed

Yes, you will!

You're welcome to park at my house if I can manage to get rid of a few vehicles!

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The BMW Bavaria VIN 3103868 was manufactured on August 09th, 1972 and delivered on August 18th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Baikal metallic, paint code 042.