New Member - 1974 3.0 CSi

Brian Muzzy

Reaction score
I am so happy to have found this sub!
I have just taken possession of my father's 1974 3.0 CSi which he brought to the states in the early 80's after being stationed in Germany. He had been driving this car throughout Kansas up until about 5 years ago when it was parked due to some fuel system challenges. There was some body work done in the 80s to address some rust, and at that time it was repainted (not original color). I am working to get specs, but the original color was a brown of some sort. I am completely lost when it comes to BMWs as my previous restoration was on a 1967 Camaro. I am excited to dig into this iconic car and bringing it back to a driver first and in the future, a full resto.

I am in the Austin TX area and would appreciate any insight to a quality mechanic and body shop. All my current contacts are for American Muscle.
I am including a couple pics from picking the car up, and my first search for help.

The buttons under the dash are still trying to be sorted out, my father doesn't specifically remember what they were all for any help would be appreciated.

e9.jpg

BMW Buttons.jpg

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Definitely get in touch with Terry at Sayther Automotive. Let him know that I referred you to him and he'll probably charge you double his normal price!!
But seriously, he is one of the best in the country.

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations. Something so special being passed on a car your father prided himself on.
Being an Euro model, I am not familiar enough with those buttons to be any help, many on this site will be able helping out.
Enjoy the adventure!

m73

Reaction score
One should be front-fog the other rear-fog

#5 is a contact breaker for the windows -- if it pops out then windows won't work and you will have to reset the switch

Hope that helps & welcome

Brian Muzzy

Reaction score

Brian Muzzy

Reaction score
One should be front-fog the other rear-fog

#5 is a contact breaker for the windows -- if it pops out then windows won't work and you will have to reset the switch

Hope that helps & welcome
Thank you. I will be labeling these things immediately! I have been documenting the 'working/not working' electrical items and this will help a lot.

Cheers

Brian Muzzy

Reaction score
Congratulations. Something so special being passed on a car your father prided himself on.
Being an Euro model, I am not familiar enough with those buttons to be any help, many on this site will be able helping out.
Enjoy the adventure!

Looking forward to a fun year - my son just turned 16 and this project will keep us busy through his high school graduation!

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lots of good advice so far, and lots of generous, helpful folks on this board.
Probably the biggest difference between the Camaro and the Coupe, is that the former is a line built, manufactured frame/body car (I cant remember when Fisher body became part of the GM family, late 20's I think...), the coupe is an outside vendor/coach-built (Karmann; like Karman Ghia, early Porsches, etc), hand-crafted early unibody...
Keep it dry if at all possible. Rust is the most heinous problem, most from driving in "weather" and what is thrown up and under, but some other rust issues are from the top down.
Best of luck and welcome. Car looks pretty good from here!...

Brian Muzzy

Reaction score
Lots of good advice so far, and lots of generous, helpful folks on this board.
Probably the biggest difference between the Camaro and the Coupe, is that the former is a line built, manufactured frame/body car (I cant remember when Fisher body became part of the GM family, late 20's I think...), the coupe is an outside vendor/coach-built (Karmann; like Karman Ghia, early Porsches, etc), hand-crafted early unibody...
Keep it dry if at all possible. Rust is the most heinous problem, most from driving in "weather" and what is thrown up and under, but some other rust issues are from the top down.
Best of luck and welcome. Car looks pretty good from here!...
Dave
Thanks for the warm welcome. Hoping to roll the car out over the weekend and taking some additional pics. I know there are some rust spots that will have to be addressed and possibly sins of the past from the previous body work. There are plenty of mysteries to be uncovered, but am super excited for the journey.

Cheers

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Brian--Welcome to the forum. You will be able to find parts and technical info & help from the members. Collector car insurance such as Hagerty will require the car to be garaged. That will also help keep the sun& rain away while you and your son work on the car.

Brian Muzzy

Reaction score
Welcome and lovely to see your 74.

You can find the original paint code (and build date etc) but contacting BMW Group Classic.

Thanks for the reference. I will be searching their site today!

Cheers

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
It works. I did it few weeks ago and got production date and date for delivery to the dealer location plus production volumes.

They responded after few days but for some other questions I had after... in some minutes. :)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, too bad bmw kept poor records of options ordered on the cars like VW museum and PHS for Pontiacs.

Brian Muzzy

Reaction score
Thanks - I will search him out!

Cheers
Dropped the car off at Terry Sayther's place in Austin today. After a lot of discussion, we are going forward with a 3.5 swap and he will be addressing a number of other things along the way. Unfortunately, I am acting so quick on getting the project started, I have yet to get any good pics of the car in its current state. Thanks again for the reference. Hope to be cruising in the spring.

-b