New Member- 1974 Mintgrun

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Introduction
Part 1- The Car Car*
Hello to all and Happy Holidays! I finally have the title and car in hand, so I can now claim that I am the excited owner of a 1974 BMW 3.0CS. But, not just your middling, old, run-of-the-mill 1974 BMW 3.0CS, no sir! This one is special. To begin with, this CS came stock (yes, stock I say!) with extra thick, reinforced, heavy duty bumpers to protect the precious sheet metal--oh, and the occupants. Yes indeed, for this CS will have none of that flimsy, glary, rust-prone, so 1973 chrome crap that doesn’t even function well as a beer bottle rest, no it cannot be suffered! Sadly, the early CS’s with primitive trim cannot boast of this modern option.
In addition, this CS is one of those creatures rarely seen in the wild and only heard of in fables and fantasies. This CS sports an exterior color that has the magical power to make some enthusiasts puke and others fawn. This CS has been verified by the exalted “Historischer Informationsdienst” deep in the Motherland to have been anointed at birth with the rare pigment known as “079”. Some call it “Mintgrun”, some call it “Mintgruen”, some call it “Mint Green” and some people with no taste call it bad names. No matter, as this CS wears this complexion as a badge of distinction and sneers, sideways and demeaningly, at the naysayers.
Finally, this CS does not demur when it comes to her appearance. She accepts her superficial flaws with verve, poopooing those who insist she immediately go under the knife for cosmetic reasons. When the time comes for exploratory surgery, she will face it with true, road grit. But until then she just wants to hit the road again after 20 years of sitting flat-tired. (However, she is vain enough to insist on replacing those mundane, e21ish rims with some nice gold BBS mesh wheels. After all, she deserves it.)
This CS is a very special CS indeed.
Yet, it was not a trifling task to acquire this classic CS. To win this CS I had to fight to the death in the terrifying BaT arena surrounded by howling crowds tossing out offal and insults (and sometimes, helpful insights). But I persevered, won, and here I am on the e9coupe forum! And so, I am happy to join this band of enthusiasts to share experiences and knowledge about these amazing vehicles.

*Woody Guthrie, The Car Song:

1974 Mintgrun BMW 3.0 CS (2).jpg
1974 Mintgrun BMW 3.0 CS (3).jpg
1974 Mintgrun BMW 3.0 CS (5).jpg
1974 Mintgrun Nose.jpg
1974 Mintgrun Trunk.jpg

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice.

Few here understand the true value of a car whose bumpers serve competently as a step ladder when needed. Congratulations.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Congrats!

Have any immediate plans with it? Any surprises (positive or negative) when you seen in in the flesh?

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have any immediate plans with it? Any surprises (positive or negative) when you seen in in the flesh?
Other than getting most of the kinks out of it after sitting for 20 years, the only thing we'll be doing is driving it!

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome, Hal !!! Some of you may recognize Hal from over on 2002FAQ; a well-respected member and someone who knows his BBQ sauce...literally.

He has some very 2002-related products for those in the need. I use his rear brake adjustment tool on my 2002s and my '67 CS, and it is very handy.

I look forward to hearing more about this green machine!

Ed Z

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I look forward to hearing more about this green machine!
Hey Ed! I hope we have the chance to park the two CS's together sometime. They would make a great pair around Christmas!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A stunning color which I love, enjoy the heck out of it, whatever you decide to do. There can’t be more than a handful of these in the US. And your wheels look like fps BMW Alpina-look wheels issued for 74 coupes, not the e1 turbines which are not very attractive.

Last edited:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great (rare) color! Welcome to the best vintage BMW forum on the interwebs.

"I've got a gal in Kalamazoo, zoo zoo zoo"

I couldn't resist

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hal, welcome. Probably the best introductory post ever - or at least I thought it well composed. Mintgrun is an acquired taste, like great bourbon. Personally I like it better on an e9 than a 2002, and you rarely see it on a coupe. Look like you got a nice car for your BaT troubles. Go and enjoy it!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very, very nice. Thanks for the photos. These later Coupes, well I must admit, I can almost accept the "diving board" style bumpers. BTW, anyone need front? P/N 51111825985.
Attractive pricing. ;)

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Hal. Your intro tells us you'll be driving and not just wrenching and altering your Coupe. But I know a guy that makes a really good 3rd brake light that might keep that formidable rear bumper from entering into your rear seat.

IMG_1640(1).jpg
IMG_1647(1).jpg

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
your wheels look like fps BMW Alpina-look wheels
We will definitely get as much driving in this coming year as possible. Cosmetics will have to wait. Having grown up on 2002s, I am immune to rust induced guilt.
Very interesting note about the wheels. Are these specific to the '74 and are they that different from the early wheels?