New Member in Boston - Looking for coupe

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have admired these coupes for as long as I can remember. I am finally in a position where I have the means to afford one. I would love to buy a well sorted one from a forum member. I travel to California often so can look at cars on both coasts. Looking forward to meeting members in New England.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome

I have admired these coupes for as long as I can remember. I am finally in a position where I have the means to afford one. I would love to buy a well sorted one from a forum member. I travel to California often so can look at cars on both coasts. Looking forward to meeting members in New England.

Thre are many coupes that come available. If you give us an idea of a price range we can all be on the lookout. Plan to pay upwards of $20K for a dry, well soted coupe that will still need works. Keep an eye on the classified section below. There are currently one or two that might be what you are looking for.

Color preference? Sunroof? A/C? rock-stock or 3.5L, 5 speed?

Go to www.coupeking.com if you can afford a big budget restored coupe.
Check La Jolla Indepndent if you are in southern CA.

Hplug http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14950

Last edited:

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
My coupe preferences

My preference is to buy from a private party owner who has cared for it for at least 5 years.

I prefer the silver and blue tints (Polaris, Fjordblau, Atlantis, Nachtblau, Baikal) but some red tints too (Granatrot, Malaga). Don't really want a red, white or black.

Options: PW/Sunroof/AC. Alpina (open lug) and Nardi/petri wood steering wheel would be nice.

3.5L upgrade and 5-spd conversions welcome.

Price 30-50 depending on condition.

Thanks for the suggestions Stan.

I have heard that Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent is a great guy to work with.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Coupe

Check out the one Hplug from the group has to sell, also on ebay now. Great clean car

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
1972 Nachtblau 3,0CS (VIN 2250135) on eBay

I have made an offer for the Nachtblau coupe on eBay. It was not accepted.

Carl Nelson from La Jolla Independent looked at it and wrote back..."Compression tells me the engine is old and needs to be replaced. Do not see invoices after 2007, (did not look at all of them), thus the state of things will not be current. Again a good starter car".

So it needs engine rebuild, tie rods, full brake system overhaul, water pump, wiper motor/switch, AC charge/repair?, electrical work (right turn signal/parking light not working), service window lifters and motors, new windshield, rust abatement, paint.....looking at another 15K to start.

IMHO....it is a 20K car MAX!

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hunting Ridge Motors

The '73 Ruby Red 3.0 CS which is painted in a Porsche color and needs a lot of attention is listed on Hemmings for $42,900 was recently on eBay and bid up to $32,100 with reserve not met. It was actually bid up to about the same amount a week before that but magically delisted just before the auction ended?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141079551443?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

The "71 (listed as '72 on Hemmings and HRM site) Malaga 3.0CS which is listed at $68,900 was also just on eBay and bid up to only $38,900.

I am sure they are nice cars but the prices seem a bit frothy.

After all, Mark is running a business. I cannnot blame him.

Last edited:

rb1971

Reaction score
A lot of coupes sell privately rather than on ebay and values have been going up. Coupeguy has a nice-looking polaris/blue car for right at $35k now, no AC (can be retrofitted) or sunroof (which can't but is my personal preference).

http://www.coupeguy.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=14905044

Probably obvious, but you're way better off buying a car that has minimal rust and need mechanical work than anything else. If you want one that is very good to great in both areas I'd expect to spend near the top of your range.

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
1973 Euro 3,0 CSi Polaris/Navy velour

If it is such a "zero rust" example.....why hasn't it sold since it was offered in early July???

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
73 Ruby Red 3,0 CS - HRM

The paint on this car looks fantastic. It was originally In Verona Red but the Porsche Ruby Red looks similar to Granatrot. The non-chrome windshield surround as well as the mismatched wiper/arms ruin the external patina.

The trunk lid is missing both rhino skin covers and that tool box looks period incorrect.

Inside, the first thing that pops out is the black on the piece on the headrest support. The interior was originally black and redone in tan---God only knows why they did not redo those in tan.

The dash is cracked. And that Momo steering wheel looks like it's from Back to the Future---from an E28 perhaps?

And for 40 large, it ain't even got a period correct radio.

The triple carbs look cool though! Hopefully they don't need much attention.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If it is such a "zero rust" example.....why hasn't it sold since it was offered in early July???
no idea - my guess is that there were some beautifully photographed coupes when it came on the market ... and the photos of this one, while complete and showed everything, were not so perfect pics. if this coupe had a/c - i'd have probably called Dan and orchestrated a trade for mt black 2800cs.

i just looked at it again ... and was about to call Dan, but found the pic of no a/c. i live in hot 'lanta - gotta have a/c

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The obvious ...

Things to do

First, talk to the seller and express your concerns (I assume you've done this already).
Second, get a PPI by someone who knows coupe bodies. Don't worry if it costs you a few $$. It'll be money well spent if you get a good PPI.
Third, seems like you'd want to see a car before plunking down thirty odd $k

John

Bez

Site Donor
Reaction score
Things to do

....get a PPI by someone who knows coupe bodies. Don't worry if it costs you a few $$. It'll be money well spent if you get a good PPI.

John

Of course John. Who knows coupe bodies/performs PPIs for coupes in New England? Thanks in advance.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anybody checked out coupeguys CSI?

Link below in this thread.
From pics looks solid, original, and nice paint...
Paul