New member in Phoenix, Arizona

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi all! I am the proud owner of this 1972 BMW 3.0csi which I purchased in Holland earlier this year. Within weeks of making the purchase, a new job opportunity came up in the US and I decided to leave London and return to the US. So I never got around to registering the car in Europe and it is now awaiting a travel buddy to join it in a container shipment. In any case, I can't wait to have it here with me in Phoenix sometime in the next few months. I look forward to participating in this forum and learning from, and eventually contributing to, from the wealth of information found here. Thanks and more soon!
Sid
dae48c3f63f20b19b4708b79ae56bc8b.jpg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Beautiful, love that color!!!

I fixed up a blue '75 2002 a few years back and drove with friends out in the Texas hill country one weekend. Here it is with a lovely blue CS...

IMG_4782.JPG

Hope yours has AC :)

Ed

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately no A/C. That is one among a (hopefully short) list of things I need to sort out... in addition to worn door seals, rough idling and leaky fuel tank vent (apologies for the non-technical descriptions :). Otherwise I believe she's in fine shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks nice. Welcome to the forum. There are usually a few car events in CA that might work for you.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately no A/C. That is one among a (hopefully short) list of things I need to sort out...

While the car is stationary you may want to think about sourcing those parts in Europe and throwing them in the trunk. The evaporator and the fragile plastic duct is the hardest part to source stateside. I spot them in Europe for a few hundred euros somewhat regularly. Several members have spare console sides as well as face plates in mixed conditions. Everything under the hood can be sourced new or used from other cars. There is a small fan behind the kidney that has a special mount. I don't think I've ever seen one for sale.

Beautiful car. If you have any interior pics feel free to share!

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I don't think I'll be attempting the AC install myself. But maybe I will start keeping an eye out for the parts.

Here are some interior shots. There are a couple things I'd like to improve over time

- glove box, under dash panel, fuse box panel are not in great shape

- door panels are missing some original details (e.g. Bottom Chrome trim)

- door wood trim does not match dash trim as closely as I would like

- I really like the Petri steering... but I wonder if it goes with the character of this car... any opinions?

Cheers
Sid

d36d152e710aab08b4ba91cb09c24db4.jpg
7a303c2378f44f08a822d866e63571f0.jpg
93ce65d69f66dfc51bb8146d5b9d8e31.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lovely car and easy fixes to the small details you mention, except for the a/c, it will take some time and $$$ to source those pieces nice enough to match your interior. I like tha steering wheel, much better than the US bus wheel, but nothing beats a Petri imho.

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Stevehose. I think you are right, the Petri steering is best. Add that to the shopping list!

BTW - does anybody know of a shop in the Phoenix area with strong experience in our cars?

Thanks
Sid

uter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sid,
While not an E9 owner (yet), I follow them closely. Here in Phoenix you could contact Alex Vaughan at Vaughan Motorworks in Tempe (602) 380-8262. He's extremely knowledgeable and honest. He has serviced my E30, E31 and E28.

Vaughan Motor Works
906 South Priest
Suite 103
Tempe AZ 85281
United States

As someone who's always looking to learn more about BMWs, I'd love the chance to see your car when it arrives. I'm getting close to purchasing an E9 and would jump at the opportunity to learn first hand about the car. Andy Carter, Scottsdale. Andrew.W.CARTER at me.com

Last edited:

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Andy! I will give you a holler when she arrives and would love to meet up.

uter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sid, did your car arrive?
Now that there's an E9 in my garage, we'll need to get together!
-Andy (in Scottsdale)

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Andy
I had my car sent straight to La Jolla Independent. Should be here before Christmas! What did you get? Would love to see pics!
Sid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk