New member, long-term owner

tmh

Reaction score
Hello,
A brief introduction and some random comments. I have owned my 73 CS since November 1978, 42 years. It was the first car I purchased after college and getting my first real job. At that time, I owned a 1973 2002 tii that I acquired in the summer of 1976, while in college. The tii was an amazing car, but that is another story. The CS was converted from an automatic to a 265 5 speed (rebuilt Metric Mechanic unit) in 1991 when the car went through a substantial renovation. For me, the change to a manual transmission transformed the car. Sometime around 1994 additional changes consisted of a 3.5 engine and a limited slip differential.
When I purchased the CS I was actually looking to buy a Bavaria or 3.0 sedan. I had not considered a CS as they were a bit more than I intended to spend. I called a local bank to inquire about a car loan and the loan officer asked if I might be interested in a 73 CS. He was currently driving the car and selling it for one of his customers. I bought it for $500 below loan value for $7,000. I did buy a 71 Bavaria about 15 years ago (no longer on the road) and then a nice low mileage 73 Bavaria in 2006. I put a 3.5 engine and 5 speed in the 73 Bavaria about 8-10 years ago and I still own it. My current other cars are a 2007 Z4 3.0si coupe and a 2008 Z4M coupe.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    564.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3366.JPG
    IMG_3366.JPG
    481.1 KB · Views: 162

tmh

Reaction score
And please share the vin and build date: [email protected]
I did register the VIN. I'm not sure how to determine the production date but I seem to recall it was July 1973. It was fairly close to yours at 2250630. The Bavaria is VIN 3104338, I see you have a 4 door. I tried to register on the E3 section but it wouldn't let me because I used my email for the E9 site. Perhaps you can assist in clarifying how to be part of both sections.
T.M. Hayes

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome @tmh. Your car is absolutely stunning! Kudos to you for cherishing it all these years.

uter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome! Love E86, too. The Z4MC, with hydraulic steering, brakes off the M3 CSL and the S54 motor, will go down as one of the last great "'analog" BMW's.

tmh

Reaction score
Welcome! Love E86, too. The Z4MC, with hydraulic steering, brakes off the M3 CSL and the S54 motor, will go down as one of the last great "'analog" BMW's.
The CS coupe is beautiful and elegant and in its day, all the way into the 1990's, it was a reasonably peppy car. I remember the first time I saw a CS parked on a street in 1974 while in college, walking all around it, gazing in the windows. I thought it was amazing. I had never seen one and knew nothing about them. And 4 years later I stumbled across the one I still own

I am quite enamored with the Z4M coupe. It appears some put them at the top of the M car hierarchy. The roof totally remedies the styling issues I always had with the Z4 roadsters. They have an extremely rigid chassis, the polar extreme to the flex in a CS. Instant throttle response to a smooth strong engine, a nice clutch, chunky steering wheel, hydraulic steering rack, and the traction control is easily turned off. A fast, intimate little 2 seater that has good headroom (I am 6'3"), the doors and windows seal up very well, the AC works effortlessly and is not intrusive, and the stereo is really respectable. They are extremely rare to the point that I have never seen a Z4M coupe driving down the road or in a parking lot. I like a 2 seater but many people find them to be impracticable. Drive one if you ever have the chance.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello,
A brief introduction and some random comments. I have owned my 73 CS since November 1978, 42 years. It was the first car I purchased after college and getting my first real job. At that time, I owned a 1973 2002 tii that I acquired in the summer of 1976, while in college. The tii was an amazing car, but that is another story. The CS was converted from an automatic to a 265 5 speed (rebuilt Metric Mechanic unit) in 1991 when the car went through a substantial renovation. For me, the change to a manual transmission transformed the car. Sometime around 1994 additional changes consisted of a 3.5 engine and a limited slip differential.
When I purchased the CS I was actually looking to buy a Bavaria or 3.0 sedan. I had not considered a CS as they were a bit more than I intended to spend. I called a local bank to inquire about a car loan and the loan officer asked if I might be interested in a 73 CS. He was currently driving the car and selling it for one of his customers. I bought it for $500 below loan value for $7,000. I did buy a 71 Bavaria about 15 years ago (no longer on the road) and then a nice low mileage 73 Bavaria in 2006. I put a 3.5 engine and 5 speed in the 73 Bavaria about 8-10 years ago and I still own it. My current other cars are a 2007 Z4 3.0si coupe and a 2008 Z4M coupe.
Do you know John Petitte. He has a Bavaria and an 850 and some other cars. Works at a boat dealer selling high end power boats.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@tmh .... welcome to the gruppe. great collection of cars. Scott (craterface) is a great resource and a great all-around-guy. looking forward to seeing more pics and more stories.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not that I remember. Does he live in or around Naples?
T.M.
Yes, he lives in Naples. 3rd Ave NW. If you want his number I can PM you. Really nice guy and a capable mechanic. Does a lot of his own work.
He sells high end power boats at Walkers Marine. Wife's name is Ellen.