New member needs advice

Tundra

Reaction score
Hi. I recently stumbled on this site and was truly impressed by the contents and the restoration projects posted. I have a 74 coupe that needs restoration. My immediate concern are the fram rails. They are totaly rusted from approximately the firewall to the end of the floor panels. They will need to be changed as well. Any advice on the fram rails? Do they need to be changed completly or is fixing only the rusted sections good enough? If completly where could I get them? Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Andre

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think most everyone in the know on these vehicles will tell you that if your frame rails are shot then you should carefully examine the rest of your ride before you start throwing good money after bad. Your sweetheart may have you writing bad checks before you know it! You gotta probe DEEP into wheel wells, under front fender, into rockers. Oftentimes, small surface bubbles are an indication of rust gone rampant.

Frame rails are structural and if welded up, should be done carefully. I would not risk a fix and opt for new if they are as you describe.

Left part# 41 11 1 809 681
Right part# 41 11 1 809 682

Best way I have found to ID and baseline price parts is download Walloth and Nesch catalogue and price list. Go to-

http://www.wallothnesch.com/e/catalog/framecatdown.htm

Fill out the form and download both files. Catalogue is 8 megs and will take a little while. For your phone # use 001+area code+ number with no dashes

Many swear by other reputable sources you will find in the link section....

Good Luck!

Malc

Reaction score
Andre,
Agree with Ed that you must examine the rest of the coupe to see what's needed.
Yes you can repair the frame rails but you must ensure that all the rust and rot is removed before welding in new sections. To be honest anything can be fixed, its just how much time, effort and money you are prepared to invest.
I do not know which part of the world you are in but check you country regulations, In the UK the vehicle test is known as a MOT. In Germany it is the TUV and the testing is getting stricter every year in regard to whether the car can be on the road.
If you could post some pictures of the area effected I am sure we could help out
Malc