New Norm: $15K+ Square Tail 2002’s

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the square tail 2002 gaining in value faster than any other BMW. It seems like just two years ago one could find a decent square tail driver for $6K, and one in great shape for $10-$12K. Now I am seeing many a mediocre square tail for $15K+. Have I not been paying attention?

Granted, some of these are pretty nice...

$15K

$16K

$16.5K

$17K

$23K (WANT!)

$48K

$13K “Amazing Price!”

$9K - For the speculators

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, this is working into my procrastination plan quite nicely. I'll keep working on my E3, then move to my next project, then on to my 2002's. By then the '02 market will have crashed and I won't feel so pressured to do a nice job.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got my '02 now my 2000CS.... and wouldn't sell either of them. I've watched the '02s climb in popularity and price for the last decade.

I'm in early with my '88, 535i... I see the e28s as the next classic BMW, myself. They are undervalued most of the time; only the very best ones draw any decent money, but M5s are already out of reach for most folks.

... don't plan to sell the e28 either, but who knows?

Ed

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I get my 75 automatic reassembled as it has just been painted I will be testing the market, I want it to find a good home. New motor with Tii pistons, brakes, suspension, etc. Anthracite paint.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
e28’s are very attainable for the general enthusiast, but they have “arrived” IMO. An e28 costs 2x as much as a corresponding e34 of equal mileage and condition.

Got my '02 now my 2000CS.... and wouldn't sell either of them. I've watched the '02s climb in popularity and price for the last decade.

I'm in early with my '88, 535i... I see the e28s as the next classic BMW, myself. They are undervalued most of the time; only the very best ones draw any decent money, but M5s are already out of reach for most folks.

... don't plan to sell the e28 either, but who knows?

Ed

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
e28’s are very attainable for the general enthusiast, but they have “arrived” IMO. An e28 costs 2x as much as a corresponding e34 of equal mileage and condition.
So why did the black 74 on BaT that looked pretty solid top out at $12,500. not even reach its reserve?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m not following...
Markos, except for one car, all the ones you list above sold for more and in a few cases much more than the black one I referred to. It only reached $12,500. If I had a Glock in my mouth and was forced to buy a big busted, square taillight 2002 I would have looked closely at that baby.
Fortunately I was not and just checked the new dehumidifier I bought for my CSi.

Steve

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, except for one car, all the ones you list above sold for more and in a few cases much more than the black one I referred to. It only reached $12,500. If I had a Glock in my mouth and was forced to buy a big busted, square taillight 2002 I would have looked closely at that baby.
Fortunately I was not and just checked the new dehumidifier I bought for my CSi.

Steve

Oh I see. I posted listing prices not sale prices. ebay and BaT are a better test of actual appetite for a $15K square tail. Perhaps the folks on CO are still a bit optimistic.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Gotta say, I don't understand why the e34 doesn't get any love. I really liked my son's 92 525 5 speed. I know the door card delamination thing is a pain in the ass (they are impossible to fix) and on the east coast rust killed off an entire generation, but it is a very nice platform.

Then again, I own an e39, so there is that...

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gotta say, I don't understand why the e34 doesn't get any love. I really liked my son's 92 525 5 speed. I know the door card delamination thing is a pain in the ass (they are impossible to fix) and on the east coast rust killed off an entire generation, but it is a very nice platform.

Then again, I own an e39, so there is that...
The New Norm may have dropped to $10k twenty minutes ago. A black 74 2002 just hammered at $10,000 on BaT. It looked like a nice car to me. But I last owned a 71 1600 49 years ago! I suppose my buddy's 72 golf tii in original condition and very good shape has piqued my interest.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't like it - as I am still hoping to find a roundie that fits my "project appetite", for much less than your square light estimation. ;)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't like it - as I am still hoping to find a roundie that fits my "project appetite", for much less than your square light estimation. ;)
You can probably find one for less. "Much less" may be a tad optimistic. But things do pop up.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here’s your cheap Roundie.

81156DD8-2118-441E-A013-4ED54936A082.jpeg

Early Tii, even...
It’s been posted for a few days now, I’d bet he’s been inundated with calls.

Ed

Last edited:

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You wouldn’t think so. An ad like this gets so much attention, the seller sometimes retreats and realizes he may have something special. Typically, first money that steps up the driveway gets it.

I hope the new owner shows up on FAQ, though

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You wouldn’t think so. An ad like this gets so much attention, the seller sometimes retreats and realizes he may have something special. Typically, first money that steps up the driveway gets it.

I hope the new owner shows up on FAQ, though
Anyone in North Jersey that can at least find out what happened? Autokunst's wet dream car.