New Old member re-doing '67 2000CA

jalo111

Reaction score
Hi all, I used to follow the Forum several years ago when I was working on restoring a '67 2000 CA. I bought a house and spent a year working on that, then another house. Then lost interest in working on the car. So it has been up on jack stands for 5 years now.

Recently decided to get back into and finish it up - I bought it exactly 10 years ago from a guy out in Northern California and had shipped here to Florida. Drove it around about 4 times and was very impressed with how well it handled. Then took it apart in March of 2000 to restore it. Bought many parts, had many parts re-chromed, other parts polished - I had parts at 4 different places getting redone, i found a local wood guy and redid all the wood in Rosewood - came out stunning, I had all the seats restuffed with new horse hair and the flat vinyl redone, the guy i found in Delray Beach FL did an amazing job, he was able to keep the original patterned vinyl in the middle of the seats and only replace the flat. Apparently his father was one of the legendary apholstery guys in California doing all those custom cars back in the 60's, his son moved over here and has been doing cars here...
Luckily there wasnt much rust on the car. The guy who painted it/ body work mainly does Mercedes but also BMWs and did a beautiful job on the door sills and door bottoms. It wasnt a rotisserie job, because i left the engine in, but pretty thorough paint an body work job.
The one nice thing about BMWs is that you can still get new parts from BMW (at least you could 8 years ago) I found it amazing to go to the local BMW part department., give them the number and they order it up. BMW actually made several parts for me - since they make all their own rubber and plastic. The online resources are great too. I bought many parts from guys out in California. Also, at the time I had the Blue parts binder - unfortunately its gone, so now i am at loss for those exploded view diagrams to help in the re-assembly.

The engine didnt need much work other than clean-up and replacement of some items for vanity reasons. My BMW mechanic, Rennie from Redline here in Pompano FL, said the engine was in remarkable shape and not to touch the carburators as they were set properly and in sync. He said he owned several of them over the years.

Now I am working on getting the carpets in - why did they make them in 15 pieces in stead of 4 ? well thats BMW for you. Next is the under dash items, then all the chrome trim, door panels and finally the seats.

i just snapped a few with my phone. The outside ones are from 7 years ago after the car came back from the body shop with the new silver paint. and the ones with the car in white are from 10 years ago from the seller in california. At the time my 750 was white and i had seen Don Defleson's 3.0 CS car in silver in the Roundel so I was convinced on making it silver. Now, 10 years latter, probably should have kept it white.

Anyhow, thats the basic story, i will be back on here asking questions and answering anything or if anyone needs a close up picture while the interior and doors are still open just let me know.

Jim Lawson - Pompano Beach FL
'67 2000 CA
'89 750 IL

Attachments

• JAL_2000CA_Front.jpg
    JAL_2000CA_Front.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 168
  • JAL_2000CA_rear.jpg
    JAL_2000CA_rear.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 150
  • JAL_2000CA_side.jpg
    JAL_2000CA_side.jpg