New owner of 2800 CS in SF Bay Area

Berkeley Bob

Reaction score
Greetings from Northern CA!

So happy with my recent purchase of a Tundra green 1970 2800 CS. I attached a few photos of my new ride.

It is a clean and straight California car with no rust issues. Never thought I would own a car so nice!!

As a much younger person I had a bunch of 2002s including an awesome orange 1969 my friends dubbed the "Bavarian pumpkin".

I was thinking of getting another one to relive those glory days and then l realized that I should really treat myself right and get an E9!

I had pretty good luck getting this particular car. It was up for auction online and then the auction site crashed and people couldn't place their bids. It was sold right before I bought it but then the buyer backed out because of a oil leak (timing chain cover ).

There was some other good mojo including the long time owner of this car lived in my hometown. I remember seeing this specific car from the bus window as a teenager!

I have an old friend who owns an independent BMW shop and he's brought the Ancient Mariner back to life. It runs great, drives like a dream but of course there are a still a few problems yet to be addressed to keep it interesting.

My wife and I also have a new 2017 330e with every technological feature you could possibly think of. I much prefer driving my 2800 CS ! Such a much more tactile and satisfying driving experience.

I've enjoyed reading this forum for the last month or so and look forward to learning more about these unbelievable cars.

I do have a specific question that I'm hoping someone can answer for me. It has to do with seatbelt anchors.

I replaced the old seatbelts with new retractable ones mounted using the existing anchors behind the backseat. One of my picture shows this. The reel is almost completely maxed out in this position and the belt rubs against the backseat so it is not ideal.

I've read about different ways to do the seatbelts. I don't want to bolt anything into the roof (don't have an anchor up there) and go that route.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the set up shown in the last two pictures which are not from my car. My mechanic friend thinks this is the way to go with some type of extension from the anchors that gets it passed the backseat.

Are those extension straps available? Has anyone else done it that way?

Lastly, from what I have gleaned from this crowd so far I think you guys might enjoy this hilarious and campy German ad for the 2800 that I found on YouTube:

Thanks again for reading my post!

~Berkeley Bob

Attachments

• IMG_3762.JPG
    IMG_3762.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3763.JPG
    IMG_3763.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3764.JPG
    IMG_3764.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3769.JPG
    IMG_3769.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3770.JPG
    IMG_3770.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3774.JPG
    IMG_3774.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3778.JPG
    IMG_3778.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3788.JPG
    IMG_3788.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3787.JPG
    IMG_3787.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 181

Berkeley Bob

Reaction score
Your coupe was discussed here several times over the last two years, hope you got a great deal. There are a couple pics before paint here.

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/sfbay-1970-2800cs-29k.23683/#post-174571

Thanks for the heads up about the prior discussions about the Tundra coupe. I read the old posts with interest and was impressed with the level of analysis and detail. You guys really get into the weeds on these cars which is awesome!

Anyhow, most of the discussion had to do with the fairness of the price for the car. That made me think about how a market for any item is made between a willing buyer and a willing seller.

For me, there was an emotional component with the backstory of the car, and I wasn't strictly focused on the economics of the transaction. Sure, I didn't want to overpay and wanted to get a good deal, but a couple thousand bucks either way wasn't going to dissuade me.

There was some time pressure and I didn't want to lose the car since it was about to go to the Mecum auction in Monterey if I didn't buy it. The car was really in good shape and needed pretty minor work given the deferred maintenance. Beyond the pretty pictures, I was able to have my expert mechanic review a professional pre-inspection which verified the low miles and rust free condition.

I also was able to buy it off a reputable classic car lot (as opposed to some potentially sketchy private party) and it included a cool binder with good provenance and documentation for the 80,000 miles. The lot was local and the car was delivered to my door so it was a also very convenient transaction. My point being that there were a lot of small factors on the plus side of the ledger that led my decision.

I still feel like I got a good deal on the car. Without getting into the specifics, the car landed very near the price discussed here which felt fair to me in the moment.

For what it's worth, and be sure to add a few grains of salt here, the salesman was pretty confident that the car would land in the mid to high 30s in Monterey and we had an interesting discussion about the relative collectibility of the 2800 versus the 3.0 models.

Lastly, I was not trying to end up with a concourse car just a fun daily driver so I can live with the blemishes. It has a really strong powertrain and I'm looking forward to putting the next 100,000 plus miles on it!

~ Berkeley Bob

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like you went into the transaction with knowledge and a plan. You can't ask for more than that. :)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like you went into the transaction with knowledge and a plan. You can't ask for more than that. :)
Bob, you have given future potential buyers some real insight into the buying of a coupe or any other classic car. You are right, attitude, expectations and pair of cold eyes are imperative to a successful outcome like yours. PS: love your car. Steve