New Year Resolution Update No 2

Malc

Reaction score
Update No 2

Well finally welded in the RHS rear panels which were a bu**er to fit. Lots of cleaning up required....
Other stuff like patching all the holes in the rear wheel arches, a slow and tedious process but at least it's done. Next clean all this up and sort out the boot floor and add all the required brackets, spare wheel carrier hold down thing etc etc etc :roll:

d769398ebf6b5ce0b6300d3fb01c3de0.jpg

4f9bc3ffb3701e086ca3392531717941.jpg

Well the relatives have gone....
I have eaten and drunk too much over the last few days...
Rather than fight the cat for the the sofa to watch bad movies on the telly I thought I had try to keep a new year resolution to.....
Get on with the bucket! (Actually kind of promised Mrs Malc to get it finished this year) :oops:
So out into the shed and cleaned up the rusty RHS wheel arch. Start to fix those tin worm holes that started to appear. Hence the patches at the rear of the arch

d5276df90bdc47ee9b9c9a87c3c74b23.jpg

Same at the front, though more "frilly" and to patch the holes caused by repairs to the inner, middle, outer sills.

d2dd374bdad447400ec52a23b0d916c2.jpg

Next bit is to dress off the welds and fix the lower wing, arch and rear lower valance panel - Only another 365 days to go, thank goodness it's a leap year! Hope you all had a good Hogmanay

Friday 5th Jan
I am just going to try and update the same post over and over again
(Is that OK moderators?????)

Anyway the horrors of pattern parts came to light today as the lower rear wing repair section just would not fit. I got the swage line in the right place, but I needed to adjust the fitting with my trusty angle grinder :roll:

038153266ea62d8c7a007aae645dce48.jpg

Once that was all done I welded a fabricated section in, which will need a couple of hours work with a panel beating hammer set to get it to look right. I slapped some paint on it to stop it going rusty, and to get an idea of the finishing work required.

37bd60453a79e4bc948045d0531e1aca.jpg

Malc

Malc

Reaction score
Nice work, Malc! Now, I don't want to startle you, but I think someone flipped your car upside down... :shock: :p

Yeap sure is, best thing I ever made was a couple of "rollers", £20 worth of steel and a couple of ratchet straps!
Certainly makes life easier :wink:
Malc

Dave B

Reaction score
New Years Resolution / Restorations

Malc,

Shed still in place? - must be windy where you are cos its windy enough further down the coast!

My New Years Resolution - use the bluetooth headset and NEVER use my mobile phone when driving. And play more golf, drink less beer. 2 out of 3 aint bad!

Malc

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
Happy new Year, hope the Hogmania celibrations were fun. It is a little breezy... the slates are chattering the shed roof is clattering and as my farming neighbours say...
"Aye, it's a disagreeable wind today"
Cheers
Malc

gazzol

Reaction score
Those'd be Jaymic pattern parts then!!! :lol:

I got some floor pans from the guy who supplies Jaymic and they are definatly interesting the first time you offer them up to the car :shock:

chicane

Reaction score
Malc;

Can you give a short indexed list of how you are prioritizing your restoration project? It looks great by the way!

Malc

Reaction score
Chicane,
ER never thought about a priority list before but this is kind of how I planned it and plan to continue:
Most important thing I decided to do is to take lots of pictures and write notes so that I stood a better chance of putting it back together years :roll: down the line! Also bagged up all nuts, bolts, fasteners, and small items in "ziplock" bags labeled with indelible pen and safety store

1.. Remove doors bonnet and boot, strip Interior
2.. Remove glass, belt trim
3.. Remove engine, gearbox, suspension, subframes
4.. remove fuel/ brake lines
5.. remove dash, heater, steering column, and pedal box
6.. remove wiring harness/ FI harness

Now down to a bare shell I did the following, Note I only did one side at a time so the shell did not distort. In addition I dry grit blasted areas where I was replacing metal to get rid of as much rust as possible. I treated cleaned areas with "Bonda" primer. You can use any good weld through primer.

7.. Replaced front floor panels (Jaymic patterns)
8.. Remove Outer and middle sills on RHS, replaced/repaired patched inner sill
9.. Repaired RHS A-pillar
10. Repeat on LHS

Car now structurally sound at the critcial points.

11.. Repaired inner front wings, triangulation panels, trial fit new front wings
12.. Remove and rebuild front nose cone, built one good one out of 2 (Thanks Rohan)
13.. Trial fit nose cone wings and bonnet

At this point I decide I was going to put the shell on my "spit roller", however because the boot floor was mainly none existant or bodged up with fibreglass I need to repair it first

14.. Cut out rotten boot floor and replace with parts from W&N
15.. Cut off rear panel and replace.

Now I put the shell on my spit I decided to basically work from the back of the car to the front...

16.. First repair holes in the main floor pan, seam weld all the joints I could find!
17.. Rebuild LHS rear inner and outer wheel arch
18.. Rebuild RHS rear inner and out wheel arch

OK this is about as far as I have got. I need to tidy up the panel distortion where I have fixed the rear arches. However I am going to try to get the repairs as smooth as possible using panel beating techniques to minimise the amount of lead loading etc I will need to do.

Going forward, well

19.. Repair front bulkhead and other parts of the inner front wings
20.. Mount front nose cone
21.. Mount front wings
22.. Clean up interior of shell, seam weld where I can
23.. Weld in all the little brackets, tabs and bits and pieces, such as relay holders etc
24..Get the whole shell in at least two coats of bonda primer.
At this point I can start to think about the following:

Mounting of new braking system, remember my bucket is right hand drive. I hope to use the system I salvaged out of my E28. This is things like cross links etc

Once any modifications of the shell, if required, are done its complete repairs to the doors bonnet and boot lids

Then paint - Mrs Malc's decision :wink:

Next will come the refurbishment of the bits taken off! Wiring I will probably make my own harnesses, I have done it before and it's not that difficult and add modifications like relays for the windows

The most problematic issue for me is the interior carpets, none existent and the seats which are finished in cloth which are in very poor shape.

Malc

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Velocewest,of course it's upside down,it's on the other side of the Globe!!
Hey Malc and DaveB and all others... Happy Happy...drove St Jude a sum total of about 20 metres this pm, just rotating those wheels etc.
The Kinnel beater has promised to collect her and the Bonnet and the Bootlid on Thursday for the Wet shot and clear and bake in the oven. (Sounds Kinky I know)

I cant wait!!!! 2.5 years and next is the interior,then a new Body shell,then a new engine then..........there will be something else.
I am seriously considering Lemans w/e or the GT series in Portugal as a spectator.
Time and essence,probably a fly in and Avis cheapest you have car type of Long weekend.
Merry Merry guys