"Nigerian" coupe ad on CL

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is a Craigslist ad for a 72 CSI asking $12k.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/cto/4602535049.html
Pictures of a very pretty blue car attached.
Maybe sounds too good, right? Well here is reply I received:

"I am a pilot, at an European air charter service company and i am currently not in US.
Anyway, i already arranged with a shipping company that can compensate my absence so we could conclude this sell as soon as possible.
The title is on my name, already signed, ready to be registered by the next owner."

Classic, not quite English, scam language... So the popularity of E9s is spreading in a new realm.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The next thing we'll hear is some Indian guy telling us that the IRS wants us to sign over the titles to our cars and meet them in the parking lot of Walmart and they'll forgive the millions of dollars we owe them in back taxes.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, it was for sale in an ebay listing ... as i remember. maybe that's where the pix came from.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My business partner and I had a Nigerian guy interested in buying a bunch of collision parts from us in bulk. We said, "sure thing, cash only". Over about the next three months he spent about $15k with us, cash. ;-)

Since he's legitimate, he HATES dealing with the "Nigerian" thing all the time.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i finally got a response from the seller on this coupe. he lives outside the country and is a pilot with a european air charter service. he states that the car is in a sealed container in texas and is to be delivered to the buyer (free shipping in the US). but you can't personally see the car, inspect it or have a PPI done before hand ... but you have 3 days to reject the deal if you don't think its as described, etc. meanwhile, the money is out of the country and you are holding whatever is / is not in the container.

i don't know about you guys ... but i totally feel comfortable with this deal. yeah ... right, just what i figured.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, this sight unseen deal may have advantages -you are not likely to get a rusty car. OK, so maybe you don't get any car

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How does someone Flag a CL ad? It was in Honolulu last month!
get this - here is the guys response to my question about that ...
I paid someone to place me national ads with it because the shipping is free within US. Let me know if you are still interested.
Yes, it is registered as an antique in CA.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, this sight unseen deal may have advantages -you are not likely to get a rusty car. OK, so maybe you don't get any car

here is the end of the email chain ... start from the bottom and read up ...

• Today at 1:42 PM
To SCOTT PERKINS

Sir, if you don't have confidence lets end this here because i don't wanna waist our time. Thanks

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:35:31 -0700
Subject: Re: 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi $12000
To: steven.mckean

so, if the money is sitting in a third party escrow account here in the US ... maybe that works. otherwise it seems either too good to be true or its a complete scam.

To: SCOTT PERKINS
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:24 PM
Subject: RE: 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi $12000

I am sorry but the car is sealed in a container. Anyway, i understand you, thanks and hope you'll buy a good car

To McKean Steven

hmmm ... so you want somebody to pay for the car prior to shipping - sight unseen ... except for some pics? and you live out of the country. i'm afraid that doesn't sound like a deal i'm comfortable with. i live in georgia, but have vintage BMW friends in dallas, houston and austin ...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damn, Scott you blew it!!

here is the end of the email chain ... start from the bottom and read up ...

• Today at 1:42 PM
To SCOTT PERKINS

Sir, if you don't have confidence lets end this here because i don't wanna waist our time. Thanks

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:35:31 -0700
Subject: Re: 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi $12000
To: steven.mckean

so, if the money is sitting in a third party escrow account here in the US ... maybe that works. otherwise it seems either too good to be true or its a complete scam.

To: SCOTT PERKINS
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:24 PM
Subject: RE: 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi $12000

I am sorry but the car is sealed in a container. Anyway, i understand you, thanks and hope you'll buy a good car

To McKean Steven

hmmm ... so you want somebody to pay for the car prior to shipping - sight unseen ... except for some pics? and you live out of the country. i'm afraid that doesn't sound like a deal i'm comfortable with. i live in georgia, but have vintage BMW friends in dallas, houston and austin ...