Nightmare E3 Seller

Haseeb

Reaction score
I'll just put this story here since I don't really know where else to put it and who else to talk about it with...

I'm sure you guys saw that post last week about that parts car I've been trying to get, I've been working really hard to get the money to afford it and confirmed with the buyer to get it this Saturday. It didn't happen. He's been so rude to me, he yelled at me for not showing up last week (even though he said he couldn't move it anyway), and it keeps getting delayed. The car is located behind a lot with quite a few cars surrounding it, so as part of the agreement he said he would move it to somewhere open so I can get it towed. He is relying on a friend to tow it somewhere open but that friend always seems to be busy. I offered him some of the cash upfront so I can take some parts out tomorrow and pay the rest later the moment I get the full car on a triple aaa truck, but he wouldn't have any of it and said I can't touch it unless I paid him in full first. It's stressing me out so much and I feel pressure because I want to get the parts to members here who have made offers and been patient with the situation. The whole thing just made me so upset, I don't even know if it's worth the stupid 575 he's asking me to pay. I wanted it because I sorta needed a few things (possibly the hood, gas pedal, caliper bolt), but I just don't know what to do anymore. Is is worth it to wait till next week when he said he will definitely do it or just leave this shit show behind. Whatever comments you guys have are appreciated, anyway thanks for reading guys, I might just sign off for the night

Attachments

• IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 262

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
9815A19F-F332-4416-B21C-82D1314D8FA4.jpeg
Haseeb,

I had a flaky seller last year with an e12 parts car. Kept putting me off then sold it to someone else.

I’ve got a 73 parts car. I have a pretty rust free hood, the dash is spoken for but the wood is available as are the caliper bolts and factory alloys. No engine, trans or bumpers. The best news is I’m in Bergen County.
PM me for things you may need.

John

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Walk away Hasseb. Nothing is worthy enough for being yelled at.
Rather get parts from our members like John and surely others who have what you need.

Keshav

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There was a recent conversation elsewhere just within the past week or so regarding lousy sellers (different words were used). I think @dang had some good comments about in many of those situations, finally getting the car in your driveway makes the bad part of the experience worth it. But that it doesn't sound like the case here. Seems like a lot of headache for not much of a reward. Despite the fact that a handful of members here could use a few bits off this car, those parts will surface elsewhere. Not sure it is worth your anguish. And it is definitely not worth getting yelled at. That's BS.

Haseeb

Reaction score
Thank you guys all for the nice comments
A little update: the seller called me again today and we ended up screaming at each other, he keeps trying to make it seem like he's doing me a favor when I'm the one paying him for the car. He told me I'm a stupid kid and I told him to go fuck himself. This deal is completely off, the car is no more. Sorry to everyone in the forum :(

Haseeb

Reaction score
View attachment 48101 Haseeb,

I had a flaky seller last year with an e12 parts car. Kept putting me off then sold it to someone else.

I’ve got a 73 parts car. I have a pretty rust free hood, the dash is spoken for but the wood is available as are the caliper bolts and factory alloys. No engine, trans or bumpers. The best news is I’m in Bergen County.
PM me for things you may need.

John
I had no idea anyone was in the forum was in NJ! I'm gonna PM you my number!

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
take joy in telling the guy to eat a bag of dicks and move on. don't worry about hooking us up with parts if it's going to cause you problems. not worth it one bit.

jefftepper

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you found your self in this situation. Life has many learning moments, some pleasant and others not so much. The take-aways from this failed deal that come to mind include:

As a buyer, you must first convince the seller that you are "real". For every legit buyer, there are many wannabes that have no qualms wasting everyone's time and really have no intention of closing the deal. Having cash in hand ready to buy on the spot often goes a long way toward establishing credibility. Sometimes putting the cash on the table in front of the seller where he can see it with the statement "pick it up and we have a deal" can be persuasive. Walking away from a solid buyer is usually difficult, even for an difficult seller. In my experience, I have heard and used the phrase "Cash talks, BS walks" many times. It does tend to separate the real buyers from everyone else.

Some folks have very poor people skills and may not be particularly bright. Pissing you off is not necessarily the seller's intent though it was clearly the result. Try and be philosophical about this transaction, "It was not meant to be". While this door of opportunity appears to have closed, the next opportunity might actually be a better deal for you.

Good luck.

Haseeb

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you found your self in this situation. Life has many learning moments, some pleasant and others not so much. The take-aways from this failed deal that come to mind include:

As a buyer, you must first convince the seller that you are "real". For every legit buyer, there are many wannabes that have no qualms wasting everyone's time and really have no intention of closing the deal. Having cash in hand ready to buy on the spot often goes a long way toward establishing credibility. Sometimes putting the cash on the table in front of the seller where he can see it with the statement "pick it up and we have a deal" can be persuasive. Walking away from a solid buyer is usually difficult, even for an difficult seller. In my experience, I have heard and used the phrase "Cash talks, BS walks" many times. It does tend to separate the real buyers from everyone else.

Some folks have very poor people skills and may not be particularly bright. Pissing you off is not necessarily the seller's intent though it was clearly the result. Try and be philosophical about this transaction, "It was not meant to be". While this door of opportunity appears to have closed, the next opportunity might actually be a better deal for you.

Good luck.
That's actually a really good way of looking at it :) thank you for that! I'm hoping something good comes my way soon (fingers crossed for a Delorean lmao)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The thing that you need to remember is that any sub-$1K car on CL is going to bring about crazy-ass buyer's and sellers. Selling a sub-$1K car on CL sucks. Most of the buyers you don't want anywhere near your home. Expect offers to trade stereo equipment or a bag of weed plus cash that they will have next week. Sellers who have a whole back yard full of cars don't really want to sell their cars. They want to restore them "someday".

If you want the car you need to roll with the punches. You aren't in a rush. Short of a handful of folks on here prepping for the summer car show schedule, the members here aren't in a rush either. These are garage queens and Sunday driver's, not commuters. We can wait. I would tell the guy that you have cash in hand but you won't hand over the money until the car is unobstructed and ready for pickup. The guy listed the car on CL, if he really wants to sell it, he needs to move it. I'm banking that the car doesn't move and he doesn't sell it.

Sub $1K e3's aren't rare. If you don't get this one, get the next one!

Haseeb

Reaction score
The thing that you need to remember is that any sub-$1K car on CL is going to bring about crazy-ass buyer's and sellers. Selling a sub-$1K car on CL sucks. Most of the buyers you don't want anywhere near your home. Expect offers to trade stereo equipment or a bag of weed plus cash that they will have next week. Sellers who have a whole back yard full of cars don't really want to sell their cars. They want to restore them "someday".

If you want the car you need to roll with the punches. You aren't in a rush. Short of a handful of folks on here prepping for the summer car show schedule, the members here aren't in a rush either. These are garage queens and Sunday driver's, not commuters. We can wait. I would tell the guy that you have cash in hand but you won't hand over the money until the car is unobstructed and ready for pickup. The guy listed the car on CL, if he really wants to sell it, he needs to move it. I'm banking that the car doesn't move and he doesn't sell it.

Sub $1K e3's aren't rare. If you don't get this one, get the next one!

If I see something good I'll try to more patient from here on out (so long as the guy isn't this crazy lol!) If you say it's not too rare then I'll wait for the next one to come my way (and I'll get you that part you wanted :))

Bouliac

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dear Haseeb,

I sorry that you got into a pissing match. Some people are simply crazy, and it is difficult for someone without clinical experience to know how to manage a relationship with a crazy person. I would disagree with Markos on one thing : it is not always a matter of value. When I was looking for an Alfa spider I had a conversation with a dealer -- a professional -- owner of a specialized Alfa shop in Niagara Ont. He wanted 14,000 for an 84, which is a very good price. I asked him if he had documentation, service records and so forth, and somehow that insulted him. In the end he refused t0 even consider selling me the car, simply because I asked what I thought was a fairly reasonable question in a very reasonable way. Told me that I was "not his kind of customer". Jeff is right, simply putting cash on the table is always a good strategy for capturing and holding a sellers attention. You might have made a mistake offering partial payment. But the seller sounds as though he has a difficult personality, and you are right to simply walk away rather than trying to reason with crazy.