NMNA: neat valve cover

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s almost cliche to call it a fake but in this case I’m pretty certain that it is. I’ve been searching for an Alpina B10 valve cover for a while. I had the opportunity to buy one local this summer, but he wouldn’t let it go for less than $1K. He also had the turbos and the intake/exhaust manifolds. I ran the whole package past Don and he asked me if I want to die young? :D

It’s not advertised as a B10 manifold but it looks like one. As Donnie Brasco would say, “It’s a fugazi!”.

Ebay cover “ALPINA BMW”:
C9BC2D65-57D8-41EE-A9C2-FBB19662E6F4.jpeg

M30 cover it is based on:
24B6BEB2-8149-4640-9374-2BFEB2D2911F.jpeg

Real early model Alpina B10 cover “Alpina”:
E6C9FE59-E15B-4123-BAD0-34E73E6BD921.jpeg

Real late model Alpina B10 cover “BMW Alpina”:
BA5788B9-8BC9-48B8-9724-183EE464A616.jpeg

Lastly, the one that got away. I couldn’t stomach a $1,000 valve cover:
26C823B9-1427-4EEF-9559-D8CD3D5C7876.jpeg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are more "real" Alpina valve covers now then were made back in the day.

This is true. One of the caveats of buying a real one. Everyone will assume it's fake! :D I'm ok with that as long as I know it's real, but not for $1,000.

shanon

Reaction score
.... from the peanut gallery:

As a builder of a known tribute or 'Fauxpina' ....where does it end?

1) When the vision/dream is complete
2) You finally find and can actually afford the real McCoy
3) You have the realization the 'authentic/real' parts are not worth the sticker price, are unreliable, or have a bad ROI. So substitutes are implemented at a fraction of the cost to accomplish goal. (see number 1) The result can actually superior the original real McCoy. Just take a look at the modern vintage race scene and resto mods....
4) When the 'real thing' becomes too valuable to truly enjoy and becomes a trailer/garage/show queen and rarely gets exercised.
5) You find or discover other interesting parts/solutions that are just 'too cool' not include/impliment
6) Life forces its sale...

My build falls under number 3 & 5. My vision has some real, not so real Alpina bits with some modern/traditional hot rodding tweaks.
I also discovered that a couple things are likely very rare early Schnitzer bits and not Alpina...so WTF!? It was a stray mutt anyway.
The experience has been very educational, practical and stress free. I have never claimed it to be the real deal, just an very entertaining and extremely practical homage with some personal touches.

When a replica or clone claims to be the real deal, that's where you definitely cross the line...

Again, thoughts from the Saturday morning, caffeinated, Fauxpina peanut gallery.:cool:

Rek

Reaction score
I sold parts from my B10 donor car at high prices or at least I thought so.

An air dam in two pieces for £200. Tiny b10 badge in poor condition for £100.

Someone even wanted to use s hairdryer for the stickers along the side.

Btw, mine did not have Alpina written on the valve cover, but it was built in the UK at Sytners so maybe they forgot.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that your car is “doing it right”. I agree that just throwing alpina badges on a car can be silly. The same can be said abkr valve covers, but I am attracted to rare parts.

I’m going to have a number of real and repro Alpina bits on my car. No apologies!

.... from the peanut gallery:

As a builder of a known tribute or 'Fauxpina' ....where does it end?

1) When the vision/dream is complete
2) You finally find and can actually afford the real McCoy
3) You have the realization the 'authentic/real' parts are not worth the sticker price, are unreliable, or have a bad ROI. So substitutes are implemented at a fraction of the cost to accomplish goal. (see number 1) The result can actually superior the original real McCoy. Just take a look at the modern vintage race scene and resto mods....
4) When the 'real thing' becomes too valuable to truly enjoy and becomes a trailer/garage/show queen and rarely gets exercised.
5) You find or discover other interesting parts/solutions that are just 'too cool' not include/impliment
6) Life forces its sale...

My build falls under number 3 & 5. My vision has some real, not so real Alpina bits with some modern/traditional hot rodding tweaks.
I also discovered that a couple things are likely very rare early Schnitzer bits and not Alpina...so WTF!? It was a stray mutt anyway.
The experience has been very educational, practical and stress free. I have never claimed it to be the real deal, just an very entertaining and extremely practical homage with some personal touches.

When a replica or clone claims to be the real deal, that's where you definitely cross the line...

Again, thoughts from the Saturday morning, caffeinated, Fauxpina peanut gallery.:cool:

Wladek

Reaction score
I personally think that putting just "rare/limited" single parts, something like valve cover doesn't have much sense. Putting just badges is at least silly, on classic car i would say is immature.
...but if someone made some more mods, that are pretty close to a role model like for example Alpina, Hartge - headers, carburetors/modified FI (later models turbo's), sport camshaft, LSD, sway bars etc., etc.; And that someone wants to emphasize that it is not just standard car - it's fine & it's for sure will make the car more unique & more desirable.