nurburgring record - shattered

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you need to watch this video on a porsche 919 tribute - hybrid ... go around the nurburgring. unbelievable how this car accelerates out of the corners

all i can say is WOW. this was from friday morning on the Nordschleife. 5 minutes 19.546 seconds. that is very fast. i think chevy was ecstatic when the Z07 vette did it around 7 minutes and change. the porsche gt2 rs did it last year in 6 min 47.25 seconds. the mclaren P1 xp1 LM prototype did it in 6:43.22 minutes. be sure to watch it on 'full' screen

gwittman

Reaction score
It is obvious that driver has been around that track a few times. Looks like the driver did everything about a perfect as can be done.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes Timo Bernhardt has driven the ring many times. as an ALMS driver, he has finished on the podium numerous times on the 24 hours of the ring ... more importantly been on the winning team 5 times on the 24 hours of the ring. when he goes through the carousel on the ring it looks so effortless. more importantly, he knows the 919 as he drove it many years at LeMans including a win last year. probably not a better choice.

think about it, the record was set 35 years ago by a porsche 956 in 1983 w/ a time of 6:11,13 in a race. so beating a record by 52 seconds ... WOW

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's jaw-dropping! At some parts I didn't know if it was a video game or for real. Full respect! :)

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The acceleration and deceleration is so dramatic... thanks to huge power, light weight and an incredible amount of grip. ...and a driver with nerves of steel. One commentor calculated an average speed of 154mph? other-wordly...

Here's a good write up on the car at Spa a few months ago. Unbridled from sanctioning body regulations, Porsche was able to remove weight and increase power to make this race car so incredibly fast. Magnificent...

http://autoweek.com/article/racing/...-beats-f1-lap-record-around-spa-francorchamps

Ed

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I read a different article on this car and I am not sure it is a legal street or race car. Seems it was made lighter and more powerful than race division regs allow? I would hope there is some magic happening if it is so effortlessly breaking track records across Europe.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I read a different article on this car and I am not sure it is a legal street or race car. Seems it was made lighter and more powerful than race division regs allow? I would hope there is some magic happening if it is so effortlessly breaking track records across Europe.

It isn't legal for racing and not legal for the street. It is faster than an F1 car and has active aerodynamics (which is banned from F1). So the car is an engineering and driver exercise to push the limits. As a result it isfaster than anything else out there at the moment.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes, Porsche wanted to show what their LeMans car was capable of if it didn't needed to be according the race spec's…..( no fuel restriction and more electric power)

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
another article explaining what the car was and now is...

https://jalopnik.com/onboard-view-shows-how-porsche-destroyed-the-all-time-n-1827235601

here's the important bit:

"The Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo is a technological marvel based on Porsche’s Le Mans prototype that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans from 2015-2017, but is now freed from any one racing series’ restrictions. That means that its hybrid powertrain now churns out 1160 horsepower, its active aerodynamics produce over 50 percent more downforce, and weight has been dropped to only 1872 pounds. "

So, it was a World Endurance Champ car, Porsche retired it, then took all the limiters off the car to see how fast it could go.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is it just me or are all of these really fast cars on the Nurburgring WAY too fast for the safety level of that track? Scary stuff...

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
But you don't have to go that fast to get hurt, obviously.

Lots of 2002s in this clip and an NSU Prinz at 1:15 !

lloyd

Reaction score
1972 Nurburgring
tumblr_m2639ucYHf1qm6egko1_1280.jpg

'73
4ef2d7f729e81b1f4d0e11d2fdd4fc8b--f-racing-formula-.jpg
cfaea56123a0306154b1ecc48c97aa53--auto-poster-lol.jpg

542b96932e62b04f2f3f8f28c69e5889--bmw-racing-bmw-s.jpg
9f7bea39d7cbb64563005d47be2a73b3--bmw-racing-bmw-motorsport.jpg
032e97a42c058f2a3fbdd7cbc7ed449f--motor-bmw-bmw-racing.jpg