O'Fest - anyone attending, 1980 front fender recall?

coupelady

Reaction score
Hello, We have been following BaT lately so have seen many coupes come and go. the latest '73 interestingly states that the front fenders were replaced by a recall from BMW. Can't say as I have heard of that, maybe in British Columbia only?

Also curious to know how many of us will be attending O'Fest this year? We will be there playing with cars. Been a member since 1981, thought this event would be the one. My 5th.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am putting the final touches on the '67 in preparations for attending O-Fest. Several folks from the Austin area, but there are 37 people in 22 cars leaving out of Houston! Not sure how many of those are e9 owners, but most are vintage BMW folks.

Ed

coupelady

Reaction score
Look forward to meeting you and seeing your car! May the trip be trouble free!

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Look forward to meeting you and seeing your car! May the trip be trouble free!

Thanks so much, I have some business obligations that are interfering with my prep time, but I am confident to get everything complete. I've been offered a trailer, but had planned to drive the CS. I didn't build this car as a trailer queen, the weather may play a role in my decision, though. I do have to keep up with Iron-Butt Andrew! :)

Ed

coupelady

Reaction score
We have done the big drives in the CS in the past Atlanta to O'Fest in CO, O'Fest in NH (not as hot a drive), O'Fest in FL.

Yes, these cars are meant to drive, I just have to plan on time to do the concours detailing when we get there. We don't own a truck nor trailer ever. After O'Fest this year we are showing at Hilton Head in the inaugural "Women Driving America" gathering. Das Coupe and I hope to make a good showing for the BMW community, especially the CS community. From what I understand this will not be a judged class, I will be judged in another class but be parked with the women. Yup big month but I am very excited about it. Wanted to share this good fortune with those who feel the same about their cars. It is a true honor.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello, We have been following BaT lately so have seen many coupes come and go. the latest '73 interestingly states that the front fenders were replaced by a recall from BMW. Can't say as I have heard of that, maybe in British Columbia only?

Also curious to know how many of us will be attending O'Fest this year? We will be there playing with cars. Been a member since 1981, thought this event would be the one. My 5th.
Well my Coupe and I live in British Columbia, and as I recall back in the 90's, after some minor incident that resulted in some other vehicle pulling into my left side front fender generating a "wrinkle", I returned my car to the site of its restoration, and the proprietor was rather skillful in, as he put it " helping the insurance adjuster see things his way" .
New fender, new belt line trim, new paint. The technicians took delight in admiring that the work they had done years previous had held up, and no rust was evident once that "wrinkled" fender was removed for the new BMW factory replacement. Lucky me. ;) BTW, wish I could take in your O'fest some year!

coupelady

Reaction score
Can't wait! Being the 50th anniversary of the BMW CCA's formation, it otta be a great time.

Mpower5266

Reaction score
I will be there but not in the E9, its far from ready. I think am I going to give the 2002 a break since I took it to the Icon Finale and The Vintage this year. I will be there in one of these cars, I haven't decided which one yet.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul Cain told me there are 60 judged cars this year, quite a turnout. It took me a few years but I finally realized that displaying my coupe is more fun and relaxing than being judged. And why not give others a chance to win an award, after all, how many trophies does one need? I hope everyone has a great time and post lots of photos here.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Gang - Given the size of this event, and the fact that we are likely to be at numerous hotels, I would like to organize time and place for participating e9 coupsters to meet and greet. I know several people will be participating in the Classic event Wed, Th and into Fr, so my suggestion is that we meet later Fr afternoon as the various events are winding down and before the BMWCCA dinner. The main hotel parking lot is something of a crap shoot, and after chatting with BMW CCA, it looks like the CCA HQ, Performance Center and Foundation parking lots are not good options.

Accordingly, I suggest we meet from 5 to 7 at the BMW Factory along the driveway to the Zentrum. The factory is located at 1400 Highway 101 South Greer, SC 29651. I think we should initially line up along the fence near the interstate. After we have a quorum, maybe we can get a snapshot of the cars in the circular drive near the Zentrum. Come as you are.

Dohn

Reaction score
I'm signed up for the Performance Driving School at noon on Friday, but am not sure how long that runs. Should be able to come over after. Just need time to get cleaned up before the dinner at 7.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm signed up for the Performance Driving School at noon on Friday, but am not sure how long that runs. Should be able to come over after. Just need time to get cleaned up before the dinner at 7.

There is a Festival/Exhibition/Demos at the Performance Driving Center on Friday afternoon -- no Performance Driving School that day -- that runs from 2 until 5. They are expecting several hundred people and are expecting to fill both the Performance Center parking lot and the Foundation parking lot for this event. I had wanted to use one of these lots for our gathering, but after talking with CCA I decided against it.

As to timing, I scheduled around the Festival, and also the fact that the last factory tour ends at 3. Our gathering will be about 20 minutes from the hotel, and I suspect there will be others who also are planning to leave in time to get ready and attend the dinner.

In any event, I hope you can join us.

coupelady

Reaction score
Thank you Chris for doing this organizing. It should be a very pleasant time. Wayne and I look forward to it.

Dohn

Reaction score
There is a Festival/Exhibition/Demos at the Performance Driving Center on Friday afternoon -- no Performance Driving School that day -- that runs from 2 until 5. They are expecting several hundred people and are expecting to fill both the Performance Center parking lot and the Foundation parking lot for this event. I had wanted to use one of these lots for our gathering, but after talking with CCA I decided against it.

As to timing, I scheduled around the Festival, and also the fact that the last factory tour ends at 3. Our gathering will be about 20 minutes from the hotel, and I suspect there will be others who also are planning to leave in time to get ready and attend the dinner.

In any event, I hope you can join us.

Chris, You are correct; I misspoke. I am signed up for the Festival/Exhibition/Demo activities that are scheduled to end by 5. See you after that!