Ok, here is what I need to do...

tripower

Reaction score
I've got a 72 CSI that I will be restoring. I need to be able to move around under its own power from time to time. The engine is strong, but a few key parts were let go before I bought it.
1. fuel tank
2. radiator
3. EFI brain box
4. Air cleaner

Ok, Air cleaner is no problem I can put something together, I think I have a radiator that fits, I was thinking I could use a gas can for fuel(?), what about the brain box? Is there a way to get the car running (even rough) without one?

Honolulu

Reaction score
how you gonna...

run the motor without the brain? What will control the fuel? this motor won't function without SOMETHING there, and that means something that will do more than just idle... This will be the major snag. IMHO Task 1 will be to get a brain.

I can imagine a rig for fuel (can and return) assuming you have the fuel pump.

Just to move it around the driveway you won't need a radiator (keep those runs real short).

The air cleaner is negligible, run without it.

Philip Slate

Reaction score
the brain issue would seem to indicate FI. So the fuel tank should be a closed circuit with an output and return line. Might work if both lines are simply submerged in a closeable container. Any other thoughts on this?

corsachili

Reaction score
Even the fairly simple D-Jet fuel injection doesn't like big vacuum leaks at the "goesinta" and "goesoutta" portions of the fuel tank. You're going to need a fuel tank anyway, might as well just do it the right way.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could stick carbs on it for the short term while you're doing the resto. Doesn't need to run well, right, just start and move?

Tony

tripower

Reaction score
You could stick carbs on it for the short term while you're doing the resto. Doesn't need to run well, right, just start and move?

Tony

Yeah but then I gotta buy a carb setup, I might as well track down an EFi box. There has to be a way to rig up the EFi so that it runs short term. Those boxes were relatively primative compared to today's systems.