Okay guys how about a new tool box for the trunk???

hplug

Reaction score
I know this is a highly desired piece and there are few to be had. I am looking at making some. It is a pretty intensive project and will cost a pretty penny as it is some type of vacuum mold. Anyway just a feeler here but how many, not to hold your feet to the fire but an approx haw many would be interested in purchacing one of these. Lets say a ball park figure of $75. Of course I am trying to do them for less $$ but just an idea. Thanks.

P.S. Hey Sooner I might need to borrow yours from the virgin.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
at 75 bucks each I'd buy 2 or 3 .... dozen.

seriously aren't you looking at several thousand dollars for tooling, and then the time rate for use of the equipment, and then the cost per item to the manufacturer? I'd reckon these would have to be injection moulded, not "vacuum"

Having done consulting to injection molding facilities in the past, I can tell you that relatively inexpensive plastics can be done provided you produce (for pieces of this size) HUNDREDS.

I suppose that whole biz could have changed radically though, and costs have plumetted. Let us know whatcha find out

hplug

Reaction score
no checks please

I might have jumped the gun but if it could work I would like to have an idea of how many. Thanks,
H

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm also in, although I believe I could effect a pretty good repair around the screws on mine with grey Kydex, which seems to be right on in terms of color and texture.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
tool time

I tend to agree with dp, but I also tend to be optimistic that there are still a lot of smart folks out there to build a better mouse-trap, especially with some of the solid modelling cnc machines on the market. I'd be in for at least one , and if you can make them break as readily as the old ones, then I might take a couple...heheheh.

larkinca

Reaction score
Drop down toolbox

I would be in even if it cost over $100. Maybe it could be re-designed with some metal reinforcements molded in!

Thanks!

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hate to be the one to bust all these bubbles, but having designed injection molded parts for many, many years and being conversant with current technologies as well I can say with certainty that the only means of duplicating the boxes exactly would be in injection molded ABS with two injection molded polypropylene living hinge sections heat staked to the drop down "lid". There is also the self skinning foam tool tray that requires matched metal molds to make. My estimate for tooling would be well over $200,000, even with cheap aluminum molds. Part prices would be reasonable, but with amortization of the injection molds over a hundred or so boxes you are probably looking at several grand per. Preserve your old ones, don't carry tools while driving or even when garaged, the weight will kill the thirty five year old plastic and hinges. Perhaps BMW will some day wise up and make them available, but not unless they can locate the original molds. New tooling would be staggering even for them.

hplug

Reaction score
Well my bad

As so of the guys here thought, I was a little too anxious. This type of mold is a little to pricey to make it worth a run at it. I do have a solution for a select few though, how about a new OEM BMW M1 leather tool bag? I only have a hand full and I thought it would be a good way to get those tools out of the nonreplacable fragile trays. I do have some pictures available just email me. Thanks,
Hayes