old guy, new member, UK

pat cooks

Reaction score
Hi All, UK based, just north of London, just joined, having just retired from working on customers BMW's for the last 40 years, I have just bought a 1971 3.0CS manual and a 1972 3.0 CSL that I sold 12 years ago, and maybe a 3.0csi bitsa, not actually bought it yet, only want one but they were offered and it seemed rude not to, The 71CS has stood in a damp garage for 35 years so the (incorrect 2800cc) engine is stuck, I have a spare CSi engine so I am thinking of dropping that in and converting to injection, those carbs are such a pain, needs a full restoration but is very sound apart from the A posts and lower left front wing plus the usual wing mount area along the top, rockers and rear arches are good as is the boot and bonnet, The CSL has been modified over the years, wrong colour, 5 speed OD gearbox, 3500cc engine, and comfort seats, I am thinking that I will have to restore it to factory correct specification,
emerging from shed.jpg
35years in here.jpg
35years in here.jpg
the CSi is a bitsa, it has E24 seats, auto transmission and rust in unusual places but looks good externally, I get the feeling that it was once very rusty and the exterior panels were replaced but no cavity wax was used, I have quite a few E9 parts to swop for bits that I need, Pat

pat cooks

Reaction score
ok, that did not quite go to plan, but does anything on an E9?
this is the 1971 CS 4 speed manual emerging from a 35 year slumber, they are still out there if you ask around...........

pat cooks

Reaction score
Had it up on the car lift today, very solid, needs two small (4" square) patches in the front corners of the floor pans, one small patch in the left outer sill (rocker) plus the inner wing top rails and braces plus some other work to the top of the A posts, the right outer front wing will need a fair bit of work but the left is new, well 35 years ago.... was welded on over rust though! Pat

Wladek

Reaction score
The CSL has been modified over the years, wrong colour, 5 speed OD gearbox, 3500cc engine, and comfort seats, I am thinking that I will have to restore it to factory correct specification, the CSi is a bitsa, it has E24 seats, auto transmission and rust in unusual places but looks good externally, I get the feeling that it was once very rusty and the exterior panels were replaced but no cavity wax was used, I have quite a few E9 parts to swop for bits that I need, Pat
Wrong colour, 3.5 Engine (if later type (not racing 3.5 CSL)), comfort seats - no good.
But 265/6 gearbox is ultimate for any road version m30 (m30b30 also) - so if you are not making CSL just for sale you should consider leaving it in a car. You can always put 262 4-speed gearbox with stock prop shaft in a trunk, so just in case everybody knew that you have stock option.

Last edited:

BarnE9

Reaction score
Hi Pat from fellow north London E9 owner. Are you by any chance the Cooks from Cooks Ferry?
Cheers
Simon

pat cooks

Reaction score
yup, was cooksferry for the last 35 years give or take, took a good few van loads of classic parts home with me, all my tools, and the DIS, now going to restore my own cars and Matchless motorcycles, re post from Wladek, I will probably end up selling the CSL as I don't feel happy driving and parking a £120,000 car so will probably fit the 265/6 gearbox into the blue CS and maybe the 3.5 engine, I think it is an E12 engine, I prefer cars that I can drive hard and not cry if it goes a bit wrong, will be converting my 2002 touring to full Tii spec with 5 speed box, Pat

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Good to see you on here Pat, hopefully you can share some of that knowledge and hoarding with all the other members!

I'll grab you a kebab when I next come up to see you.

Ahmet.

pat cooks

Reaction score
kebab, ok, but none of that Enfield coffee, thick as mud with grit in the bottom!
Pat

damienh

Reaction score
Hi Pat,

Good to see you on here.

Did you ever get anywhere with my old dark blue automatic ?

Cheers,

Damien

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Pat

Time to have some fun restoring your E9 cars !!

If the weather holds up, you have some spare time, I can pop through and meet you in person , over tea & carrot cake.
I visit family & friends in the West London area

And I will come up in my dads Csl and you can give me your opinion on it !!!

pat cooks

Reaction score
Hi Damien, your car is not one I kept, yours went to the UAE, well it may have, or it might be in Stoke, sold the sad remains to an Arab who used to store some cars on the first floor,together with a bonnet and a few other parts as I needed to reduce the number of cars I took home when I retired, problem is I was offered a 71 CS manual the last week I was in Alma rd. and the car was in a back garden garage down a narrow alley full of rubbish, sound familiar? Oh and it was in Alma Rd, for the last 35 years, 200 yards from my old premises, and then a customer with a CSiL gave up driving and offered me his car, not much of a reduction then....

Sandhu, I am based in Theydon Bois, just south of Epping, pop me a message when you plan to come over, Pat

damienh

Reaction score
Yes that does sound familiar Pat, when I saw your photo I had to do a double take, I thought it was my sister's garage for a second !

I would have loved to have seen that car restored, but it was in a pretty bad state, certainly beyond my budget and level of bravery.

pat cooks

Reaction score
as I told you, I wanted a CS to use after I retired and when I ended up with four I am afraid your old one lost out, but it did not get scrapped, if it had been a choice between me keeping it or going to the crusher I would have kept it, and the latest car was less than 2 miles from your sisters house, just how many CS's are there in back gardens in Enfield, or have I got them all! Pat

readie

Reaction score
hi Pat, good to see you on the site. I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed dealing with you over the years on the e28 and the e9.
Hope you enjoy your 'retirement'
simon

Simufly

Reaction score
Small world. I had some parts from Cooks Ferry in the past, and e32 door if memory serves!
Enjoy the retirement, I do!
Another Simon!

pat cooks

Reaction score
Hi Simon and Simon, is there anyone I don't know? I have a habit of bumping into people I know, I went to South Africa for a motorcycle run, the DJ for pre 1935 motorcycles, 600km on old roads from Durban to Johannesburg in 1 1/2 days and the following weekend there was a swop meet at the piston ring club in so I stayed on and went to the meet, I bumped into an English guy I knew from school and a few years after, he bought an MGA twincam about the same time I bought my 1600 mk1, 1973, he now lives in Cape town , a few thousand km from Joburg and still has the twincam, I bought my Dodge DA in Durban...............

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome Pat! It's always exciting to have such a knowledgeable guy join the ranks. If you can, start a restoration thread and add as you go. The world is watching!

pat cooks

Reaction score
I am about finished extending and insulating the shed, everyone needs a shed, 1st third is vintage bikes and two or maybe three cars arranged like a small museum, not vehicles in everyday use, next third is workshop with car lift, bench, sheet metal machinery, 3 foot guillotine, 4 foot folder, 4 foot rollers, denbeigh No6 fly press, 60 ton workshop press, treadle operated spot welder, etc. most at least 50 years old, massive 300 amp TIG welder, BOC MIG welder, next 1/6th is machine shop, two lathes, Colchester student, a Harrison, surface grinder, Hayes diemaster mill, etc. last 1/6th is classic BMW parts store, the last 3rd has loft space full of more recent BMW parts, the 1st third loft has vintage Matchless motorcycle spares / projects, Pat

Attachments

• shed almost done.jpg
    shed almost done.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 341