One Beer Crazy Talk? 73 Bav

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm sitting here daydreaming about actually working on the resto of my 73 Bavaria (like I do all the time) and I'm realizing that it's been sitting, mid project, for a couple years now...:-(. I dragged it all the way to Atlanta with me last summer, and I'm realizing that, with two young kids, I may not have time to work on it for years.... I mean like 5-10 years.. Ugh. Would I be a complete idiot to try and sell a Bav that's in pieces? I would never part it out as I have zero time to deal with that, but I'm wondering if it would be worth anything to someone....I bought it running, but in need of clean up love and attention, for $3k maybe 4 years ago? I bought a bunch of new parts for it, maybe $2k worth, and rebuilt the engine and wrapped it in plastic. Body is sanded and I've been smoothing out all the little areas..only rust is a couple small spots on the leading edge of the hood and trunk. I'm cutting that out and welding in new metal...SoCal car all its life. I don't know...probably dumb to even think it, but I figured I'd let the other patients at this asylum give their .02...LOL. Thanks for hearing me out.

-Stephen

Bavman

Reaction score
Give up the kardashians and work on it when you can....give those kids the Mr. Mayogyi treatment, have them sand the car out.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You will definitely take a haircut if you try to sell a bag and tag project, especially an e3. I’m in the same boat as you with kiddos and lack of time. It is a big driver for dragging my feet about taking mine apart. I worry that I’ll need to sell the disassembled project.

If you are paying for storage, sell it. If you have a place to keep it, chip away as time permits. For me anyway, I think that if you make your intentions known in a public setting, you tend to feel obligated to show progress. The fact is however that many many quiet folks are spendings years to or decades on the process.

Do you like the work or do you like the driving? I like the work more than driving...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
don't sell it, drink a couple of more beers ... great e3's are on the rise. my e9 has been in the paint shop for a couple of years ... i am hopeful that i can get it out soon so we can start putting it back together. i agree with Markos, you will take a haircut ... the rest of his advice is quite sound.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen, where are you in the Cumming area. i know that area quite well, i set up a lot of TSD rallies NW of Cumming. there are some amazing roads up there

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I started work on a 2002 when my son was about four. I put a kiddie chair next to the car so he could stand on it and gave him a wrench. I figured it would entertain him for a while. Well, I happened to give him a 10mm wrench and noticed five minutes later he'd taken all the fender bolts off! Nothing like knowing your son is a "car guy" at four years old. :)

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Keep it if you have room. I've been sitting on my E9 for about 10 years now. One of these days I will get after it. E3s are a real pleasure to drive. I like to take the approach that even if I do a single thing each day...as simple as moving parts around or ordering something, or getting the car up on stands, or sorting nuts and bolts, even just a single thing will knock one more thing to do off the list. Any effort, no matter how small, is something that needs to get done eventually by somebody. So, just chip away...

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep it if you have room. I've been sitting on my E9 for about 10 years now. One of these days I will get after it. E3s are a real pleasure to drive. I like to take the approach that even if I do a single thing each day...as simple as moving parts around or ordering something, or getting the car up on stands, or sorting nuts and bolts, even just a single thing will knock one more thing to do off the list. Any effort, no matter how small, is something that needs to get done eventually by somebody. So, just chip away...
You are further along than many, the finish line, while aways away is in sight. There are guys on here who would love to be where you are. Keep it!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats, first step, recognizing the obvious. But do not despair! As others have offered you are on the right track, do not impose an unreasonable timeline upon yourself. We have all adjusted this. I currently have an Austin Healey Bugeyed Sprite, FINALLY, at the restoration shop getting the floors welded in, bought that in 2006! I have photos of my young sons sitting in it when it was towed home. I am hopeful that 1 year from now, they can not only sit in it, but perhaps drive it! These things take time, take a breath, you came to the right place, we support you and your project. Hang in there, you and your family will be very proud when you finish! :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

That is a very pragmatic approach to the subject. There are no set timelines that we must all follow in this journey. It is the enthusiasm that matters!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
You bought it because it is a passion, you even said you think about it daily. You should always find time to work on it, even for just a few min here and there. Raising children is the hardest thing I have ever done and I am glad I had my restoration as an outlet. You need to have some things to keep yourself mentally healthy. Besides, it teaches the kids important lessons...good work ethic, how to problem solve, perseverance, focus etc.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh Man!! Thank you all for the outpouring of support!!! It was a moment of weakness and you all helped me get through it. VERY much appreciated. You're all correct with your advice and I've taken a breath and will start doing little bits of work on it soon. I've already restored a few cars from the ground up (including a 69 1600), but was much more fortunate to have had time and flexibility with work, as I was self employed for a long time. I do love having my two boys (6 and 11) help out wherever they can...heck, I taught my oldest to mig weld at age 7..:).
Thanks again to everyone. What a fantastic resource for support, as well as knowledge. I will try to start updating my old build thread as soon as anything interesting happens. I just need to finish some bodywork/metal patch and get prepping for primer and block sanding...should only take a year or 20....LOL
-Stephen

shanon

Reaction score
Hang on and hang in there Stephen.

If you have a place to store and chip away it when life allows, you'll be glad you did. Brought my POS coupe home in 2002 and put my 2 yr old son in the bouncy saucer seat next to me as I chipped away. He was sanding the car at two after watching me do it for months ;)

I set realistic goals (both time and money) for the project and persevered thru a lot of life's unplanned BS. Years later, I'm finally able to check off those some of those larger project dreams that were stalled during Purgatory and moving toward completing the original vision. (custom roll bar in!) I can now hand him the keys so he can enjoy/taste his Dads's and uncles' shared madness/joy.

Good luck and be realistic of what is possible's and when. Some things can wait in order to hang on to the dream ;)

Attachments

• 0001.JPG
    0001.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 148
  • 20181222_110621.jpg
    20181222_110621.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 158

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hang on and hang in there Stephen.

If you have a place to store and chip away it when life allows, you'll be glad you did. Brought my POS coupe home in 2002 and put my 2 yr old son in the bouncy saucer seat next to me as I chipped away. He was sanding the car at two after watching me do it for months ;)

I set realistic goals (both time and money) for the project and persevered thru a lot of life's unplanned BS. Years later, I'm finally able to check off those some of those larger project dreams that were stalled during Purgatory and moving toward completing the original vision. (custom roll bar in!) I can now hand him the keys so he can enjoy/taste his Dads's and uncles' shared madness/joy.

Good luck and be realistic of what is possible's and when. Some things can wait in order to hang on to the dream ;)

I love your story!! I have to admit that this isn't my first go'round with restoring a BMW...when my oldest was little, I picked up a 1600 and completely redid it from ground up...all my myself (except the actual machine work on the engine and the blasting of the body)...it was an unbelievable amount of work, but my little fella was out there with me for a lot of it. Here are a few really quick pics of that one..I have hundreds more pictures, but you get the idea...:)...I spent a year and a half fully doing it, drove it 400 miles, then sold it for the cost of parts...sooooo stupid..big regret with that one...So, I am definitely keeping the Bavaria and I will slowly chip away at it...and keep it forever...:)

BMW 1600 when I bought it..jpg
IMG_4695.jpg
IMG_5419.jpg
IMG_5711 3.jpg
IMG_4922 2.jpg
IMG_6420.jpg
IMG_6406.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I spent a year and a half fully doing it, drove it 400 miles, then sold it for the cost of parts...sooooo stupid..big regret with that one...So, I am definitely keeping the Bavaria and I will slowly chip away at it...and keep it forever...:)

I told myself for my first 5-6 collector cars that "This is the one...I'm keeping it for life". I discovered, however, that it was the project I loved. With my garage full and my bank account empty and the lust building for another project, it was time to sell each of them (probably 30 at this point). For sure I had fun with the completed cars. Long distance trips, car shows, etc., but that fun didn't beat the fun of finding the next one, networking for parts and advice, learning, and most of all the satisfaction of doing.

I don't fool myself any longer in thinking "This is the one for life". Everybody is different, however. I have a buddy that has the same 50 Olds hot rod he had in high school in 1960. He has just as much fun as I do with the hobby...but in a different way.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I told myself for my first 5-6 collector cars that "This is the one...I'm keeping it for life". I discovered, however, that it was the project I loved. With my garage full and my bank account empty and the lust building for another project, it was time to sell each of them (probably 30 at this point). For sure I had fun with the completed cars. Long distance trips, car shows, etc., but that fun didn't beat the fun of finding the next one, networking for parts and advice, learning, and most of all the satisfaction of doing.

I don't fool myself any longer in thinking "This is the one for life". Everybody is different, however. I have a buddy that has the same 50 Olds hot rod he had in high school in 1960. He has just as much fun as I do with the hobby...but in a different way.

Haha! Yes, I do agree with that. I love working on things... I have since I was a little kid with a dirtbike. I think my 'forever' with cars means a number of years until I find the next must have project..:).
Man, a 30 car collection sounds pretty awesome! I always said that if (when) I have the money for any car, I would still be getting old project cars to work on myself because it's like a therapy of sorts. I have a friend who has a $7-$8 million dollar collection of cars, that I used to 'manage' for a while, and while he is a very handy guy, he just didn't have the time to do it...so he just enjoyed buying them and driving them when he could...Funny, he always jokes, "If I have time to play with all my cars, my career has tanked.." LOL. Very true...

I'd love to see a list of the collection you had, though. Would be interesting, I imagine.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd love to see a list of the collection you had, though. Would be interesting, I imagine.

Here are some...

I don't much like to do the same model multiple times. Not a big enough challenge I guess. Others stick with one make, model and similar years and have just as much fun. So many ways to enjoy the hobby.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are some...

I don't much like to do the same model multiple times. Not a big enough challenge I guess. Others stick with one make, model and similar years and have just as much fun. So many ways to enjoy the hobby.

WOW! That's absolutely fantastic!!! So many cars I love in there! I love that so many aren't the 'standard' classics...;-)..I'm similar in that I tend to get different cars, (my ADHD) but I have gotten some repeats over the years...I've gone through 20 or so, but not at the same time..Amazing! I am looking forward to doing an MGB GT one day. I've always loved those...