One of the most impressive tools I've bought

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last week I embarked on making some steel mounts to get two boats I acquired this year about 3 feet above the current water level. I made six steel mounts out of mostly 1/4" and 3/16 " steel. I had to drill 5/8 " holes through them. Lots of holes(44 in all) I knew I had a very limited time to get this done as freezup at the marina is imminent and the boats are now on an island for the winter. I did the first hole with a 5/8" hole saw. It was miserably slow and i'd estimate it would wear out out in 4 holes. I knew I had this Blair Rotabroach kit somewhere at home. Dug it out and drilled my first hole through 1/4". It went through like butter. They say their wax lube is critical to getting longevity out of the cutter. This cutter did all 44 holes and is still going strong. The whole lot cost $68 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008...6_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=blair+rotabroach
Made in the USA, fantastic performance. I'm going to buy the bigger kit so I can easily punch one inch or bigger holes through plate. Game changer for the hobbyist. Make sure you buy the lubricant if you get some.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wish I had this a couple weeks ago when I was grinding spot welds in the rockers... :(

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
An air driven 1/2" belt sander works very well for cutting spot welds, and leaves the underside of the part you are cutting out intact and without holes.

Last edited:

pat cooks

Reaction score
I had a spot weld drill just like this, had a spring loaded center pin so no holes, it just drilled around the spot welds leaving a raised pimple to sand down later, provided you found the center of the weld first.... Pat