One word. Plastics

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Couldn't resist that great line from The Graduate.
hqdefault.jpg

I have been plating my own parts with good results. Most of my system is based on Caswell, but there are a few tweaks. I have a 1.5 gallon system which lives in 2 gallon buckets. But I've had (3) buckets leak. These are nasty chemicals that can cause harm to my garage and/or those who hang out in it (me). All three leaks came from the exact same place - the 'belly button" at the bottom of the buckets. I have buckets from three different sources, and two of the three brands have leaked. I think it is only a matter of time before they all leak. I plan on setting each 2 gallon bucket within a second, larger bucket as a spill prevention technique. But I'd love to find better buckets - ones that would not leak at the belly button. I don't think it is the chemicals reacting with the plastic. Rather, I think the little nub pushes up on the plastic and eventually it cracks.
20220618-bucket 1.jpg20220618-bucket 2.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations for "a better bucket"?

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
How about putting the plastic bucket, into a metal bucket or even a plaster or event garden container?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! As I understand it, the acid solutions must only be stored in plastic containers. It will eat through a metal container in short order. Not sure about the chromates.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can use a water heater pan under the buckets to keep from etching your concrete when the buckets fail.

Keep in mind that highly caustic acid is sold in plastic jugs. It must just be the plastic used in those buckets.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am very interested in zinc plating at home, but haven’t pulled the trigger for a few reasons, one of which is limited space.

I was reading the forum posts on pelican parts and one of the posts discusses using large food storage containers from ikea.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To @Markos and @boonies , I agree that a secondary catch basin is a prudent safety measure. I'd want something that can contain a full 1.5 gallons of liquid because I've learned that when these go, they go. My current plan was to store my 2 gallon buckets in, say, a 5 gallon bucket. The 5 gallon buckets seem much more robust and shouldn't fail.

The fact that acids are sold in plastic containers is why I believe that plastic buckets are the correct vessel. This is backed up by Caswell themselves. In fact, Caswell sells buckets for much more than one can buy them at a big box store. But I have had a Caswell bucket fail, so not worth the extra cost.

I have read many forums on this, and also watched many YouTubes (that makes me an expert, right?). One poster that gets amazing results swears by the buckets sold at Lowes. Thus, that is where I purchased most of my buckets (and also had two of them fail).

My hope is that there is a "really good" 2 gallon bucket that I can find and buy. If I could find one that has the same construction as a 5 gallon bucket, I think that would work well. In absence of that, the redundant bucket scenario may be my only solution at this time. I might look at home brewing sources or other food-grade containment sources - perhaps they have good buckets.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
When we first started out making the side draft linkage systems (https://www.2002sonly.com/weber-dcoe-carburetor-family), I used the Caswell system and made a plating station with the 1.5 gallon buckets and a large fiberglass sink with the drain holes plugged. We insulated the sink to keep the chemicals at a constant temperature and, on the top, fitted a countertop with holes cut out to hold the buckets. This worked well until the volume of linkage systems we were making became so large that we had to start using a commercial plating company. Here are a few pics of the setup.

20190820_170702.jpg
20190820_170735.jpg
20190820_171541.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When we first started out making the side draft linkage systems (https://www.2002sonly.com/weber-dcoe-carburetor-family), I used the Caswell system and made a plating station with the 1.5 gallon buckets and a large fiberglass sink with the drain holes plugged. We insulated the sink to keep the chemicals at a constant temperature and, on the top, fitted a countertop with holes cut out to hold the buckets. This worked well until the volume of linkage systems we were making became so large that we had to start using a commercial plating company. Here are a few pics of the setup.
Very nice setup. I have contemplated putting a "station" together like this (the YouTube guy I mentioned previously had a similar setup). The only drawback is that it will take up a fixed amount of space in my tiny shop, whereas the loose buckets can conceivably be stacked and stowed in more corners of the space. But I may reconsider. That looks like a slick solution!

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
You might not need 8 buckets but we decided to use a separate distilled water rinse bucket for each step of the process.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
We finally invested in a 1 gallon water distiller because we were using so much of it. Saved us about $.95 a gallon.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
We finally invested in a 1 gallon water distiller because we were using so much of it. Saved us about $.95 a gallon.
I'm capturing the condensate from our AC system and for now watering the lawn with it. About 10 gallons a day currently.

The best buckets I've found are grey pickle buckets. The big box store buckets are thin and by choosing bright color plastic material, they are not including pigments that can help make the plastic stronger. Can't help with a supplier though as these were outside a restaurant in Austin, but were clearly pickle buckets because of the residual smell, which did eventually dissipate.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hah, hah - fair enough (wise guys). ;) I certainly enjoy my garage shop space dearly. But don't be fooled by early, wide angled, mostly empty photos. I encourage you to take what equates to "almost" 2 parking spaces, bring in a car and take it apart, storing its parts along along with (many) spares. Add a work bench, tool box, compressor, various rolling tools, metal fabrication tools, engine hoist, engine stand, some "garage items" that your wife insists don't fit where she parks her car..., and then consider inserting a relatively fixed object that measures at least 24"x48" plus some circulation/working space. I wish I had the extra real estate!

That said, I might finagle a utility sink setup on wheels similar to Hal's. If I can place 8 buckets and have 4 add'l rotating chromate buckets, the safety and convenience of not crouching on the floor may outweigh the lost floor space.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hah, hah - fair enough (wise guys). ;) I certainly enjoy my garage shop space dearly. But don't be fooled by early, wide angled, mostly empty photos. I encourage you to take what equates to "almost" 2 parking spaces, bring in a car and take it apart, storing its parts along along with (many) spares. Add a work bench, tool box, compressor, various rolling tools, metal fabrication tools, engine hoist, engine stand, some "garage items" that your wife insists don't fit where she parks her car..., and then consider inserting a relatively fixed object that measures at least 24"x48" plus some circulation/working space. I wish I had the extra real estate!

That said, I might finagle a utility sink setup on wheels similar to Hal's. If I can place 8 buckets and have 4 add'l rotating chromate buckets, the safety and convenience of not crouching on the floor may outweigh the lost floor space.
Do you mind sharing the size of your workspace? I'm on the cusp of building a 1+ garage bay on the end of my house and am trying to finalize the size and cost. Ideal wishes are bumping up against budget and setback constraints.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Not at all. I've attached a plan of Raven's Nest. As you'll see, almost half of our 24' x 40' structure is my workspace. The floorspace of the work area is approximately 18' x 22'. The equipment and storage is illustrated as well (including the proposed plating station). I think anyone ( @Markos ) would agree that there's not a lot of floor space to "work" in. More than some but less than others for sure.
Ravens Nest plan.jpg

Not sure about your area, but construction costs are as high as ever right now. It is a tough time to build - hard to see the value. But that doesn't seem to be slowing down our clients. Much of the cost is in the excavation and concrete. Of course, building larger will cost more, but the mobilization costs and the ticket price to get underway is a majority. Which is to say, build a little bigger if you can. You'll be thankful later.
Stephen

Attachments

• Ravens Nest plan.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited: