Opinions wanted about this GMC truck...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
On craigslist in my area. I'm trying figure out how much my truck should be priced at and this is the closest truck I've found to mine as far as being stock and having a faux-patina with clear coat. I'll reserve my opinion for later...

------

FOR SALE 1951 GMC 100 TRUCK RUNS, DRIVES, VERY CLEAN, LOTS OF NEW STUFF DONE TO IT, BODY WAS SANDED AND CLEAR COAT WAS SPRAYED, HEATER WORKS,RADIO WORKS, GAUGES WORK , STRAIGHT SIX MOTOR, 4- SPEED TRANS ON THE FLOOR, VERY COOL TRUCK, PRICED TO SELL

$13,200
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1951-gmc-truck/6727757029.html

Attachments

• 01616_dUm9VAoWebV_1200x900.jpg
    01616_dUm9VAoWebV_1200x900.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 00404_7yEosikreOa_1200x900.jpg
    00404_7yEosikreOa_1200x900.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 01414_l7fvTBmyETx_1200x900.jpg
    01414_l7fvTBmyETx_1200x900.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 00Z0Z_7YqmjeMy0dD_1200x900.jpg
    00Z0Z_7YqmjeMy0dD_1200x900.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 00g0g_gfI4eCrJIlC_1200x900.jpg
    00g0g_gfI4eCrJIlC_1200x900.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 00h0h_beJhvW96D0N_1200x900.jpg
    00h0h_beJhvW96D0N_1200x900.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 01111_agO4RbWC1lz_1200x900.jpg
    01111_agO4RbWC1lz_1200x900.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 121
  • 00303_9mVFNp1WjnD_1200x900.jpg
    00303_9mVFNp1WjnD_1200x900.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 01313_hwrXBcGXSXO_1200x900.jpg
    01313_hwrXBcGXSXO_1200x900.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
Without providing a link to the Craigslist ad, or telling us the asking price, it's sort of hard to respond re: value.

I just can't resist commenting on the truck on CL:

- I am sort of OK with the faux patina thing, but doing it to a car (or truck) with shiny paint is a little too obvious. I would assign negative value to this truck's exterior finish.

- To my eye, the aftermarket wheels look wrong on a truck the seller is trying to give the "hillbilly funky look", but that could be easily corrected.

- And, while I'm nitpicking, I just love the stock steering wheels that came with these trucks - substituting that little aftermarket wheel just looks silly. Plus these trucks need a bus-sized wheel since there is no power steering. Again, this could easily be corrected.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Without providing a link to the Craigslist ad, or telling us the asking price, it's sort of hard to comment.

I am sort of OK with the faux patina thing, but doing it to a car (or truck) with shiny paint is a little too obvious. I would assign negative value to this truck's exterior finish.

Oops, sorry, I'll add the link and price. The link goes bad fairly quickly so I always post photos...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not knowing anything about the truck or the “stuff done”, it looks like a $6K truck to me, not a $13k truck. I don’t know the market for these things. I see sweat equity from a DIY guy, no hints of costly restoration work. What are we paying for exactly? Show me receipts and let me see that this was a $6k car with $10k in upgrades, and they are reluctantly selling at a loss. :)

Your truck looks way nicer btw. If you coat your patina (which seems unnnecessary), use satin clear...

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i thinks it's nice to look at the "retro" style….. but does it "drive" ? I don't think it can keep up with modern traffic ? That's sometimes my problem , even a S38 BMW M5 you have to rev hard trough the gears to keep up with a little modern VW Golf diesel.... times are changing :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've had two people give a price and $6k was both numbers. That was also my number.

Haseeb

Reaction score
I’d honestly say closer to 8-10k for these “blue chip” GMC’s . they are rarer than the Fords of those days and thus values have gone up accordingly. A quick search in my area showed good examples at no less that 13k, but there’s more rust feee in California then NJ so the NJ ones might be commanding a higher price. Just my 2 cents! I think they had power steering and power brakes stock? (Also, Hagerty had something about these trucks posted today)

jmackro

Reaction score
I’d honestly say closer to 8-10k for these “blue chip” GMC’s .

Agree. The days of the $6,000 classic car (or truck) are over

I think they had power steering and power brakes stock?

Ha! These trucks were really "bare bones". In their day, only Cadillac / Lincoln -level cars had power steering and brakes. The pick-up truck market in the early 1950's was contractors and farmers; not wealthy suburbanites.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the paint on this truck is horrible. I'm taking a long time making the faux-patina on my truck and I'm still questioning whether I should be doing it. Kinda committed now, but it's not easy to make it look natural. That truck looks like someone took a D/A to it and painted it all in one afternoon.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Entirely my opinion: Price bump (perhaps not much) for being a GMC. Price ding for the paint--even if one likes the faux effect in concept, this one's way over done and too busy. Needs steel wheels with hubs, especially with 6-banger. Needs the front badge, which is probably super expensive. 6-banger limits ability to do much more than ding around town or farm. I'd say around $10k, depending on frame.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Entirely my opinion: Price bump (perhaps not much) for being a GMC. Price ding for the paint--even if one likes the faux effect in concept, this one's way over done and too busy. Needs steel wheels with hubs, especially with 6-banger. Needs the front badge, which is probably super expensive. 6-banger limits ability to do much more than ding around town or farm. I'd say around $10k, depending on frame.

Wow. Sooooo you interested in a '51 GMC 1/2? :D

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow. Sooooo you interested in a '51 GMC 1/2? :D

Nope. Grandpa worked for Ford and would haunt me if I bought a GM truck. But old "5-window" (why do they call them that?) trucks have stupid prices on them lately here. Probably only thing more expensive here than there.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nope. Grandpa worked for Ford and would haunt me if I bought a GM truck. But old "5-window" (why do they call them that?) trucks have stupid prices on them lately here. Probably only thing more expensive here than there.

Yeah, that's why I'm having trouble with pricing. They are all over the place here. I think there's two price ranges... stock-ish trucks with 6cyl drive trains from rusty and missing engines to nice drivers go from $3k to around $6-7k out here. Then there's a gap in the price and starts back up around $20k and up to a lot more. Those are stock trucks completely restored or modified trucks with more modern drive trains and suspensions, basically making them more driveable. I feel like I'm getting close to the top of the lower range and any additional time I put into it won't get me anymore in return. If I were keeping it it wouldn't matter.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I'm having trouble with pricing. They are all over the place here. I think there's two price ranges... stock-ish trucks with 6cyl drive trains from rusty and missing engines to nice drivers go from $3k to around $6-7k out here. Then there's a gap in the price and starts back up around $20k and up to a lot more. Those are stock trucks completely restored or modified trucks with more modern ....

You know a lot more about car markets—I’m talking out my Arsenio generally. I looked last night at the Leake auction results for the last couple years, which is an OK go-by for my part of the world. Confirms prices all over the place. Truck restorations are big right now, and that might be part of it. Saw a $120k restoration of a C10 I still can’t understand. I think my optimism comes from living with truck people & thinking a not insignificant # of those buyers like trendy or, in my opinion, garish mods. So, I’m thinking there’s some single, 25 yr-old welders or roughnecks out there with a pocketful of cash who would pay almost asking price for the truck pictured above, if that’s their thing. Might take a while to find that match. Certainly isn’t the regular commoditized market value and may be complete BS, but I usually learn things from saying stupid things.