optima battery for the coupe

steve in reno

Reaction score
which red top Optima battery works for our coupe.
there is a limited amount of space above top battery posts. Or should I go to a side post?
Many of you have the optima.
Best $ , local parts places that carry the Optima?

thanks

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am using red optimas or E9, E24, E36.
On the E9 it was a bit taller that desirable but no shorts against the hood AFAIK.

I cannot opine on longevity vs. other brands, I just like the idea of no acid corrosion.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I too am using a red top Optima in my e9. I found a really good price over the net, delivered to my house, but I don't recall who I bought it through. I think I've had it for two years; and I regularly put it on a battery tender. I eliminated all parasitic battery drains two years ago, but remain concerned that one might pop up somewhere and I will become aware of this fact only when it kills another battery.

I know Don Lawrence is a big fan of Bosch batteries because they retain the original look. Obviously, with Triple Weber carbs and the associated changes to get those into the car, my car will never look original when you open the hood.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
“I know Don Lawrence is a big fan of Bosch batteries because they retain the original look.”

and Cheap! Don’t forget cheap!

Oreilly is 50 bucks more for an electric photon green battery!

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
There are other AGM (no acid leaks, if that's what you are seeking) batteries available bedside the Optima, with the added benefit of being the correct size/group code.

Such as this one, broadly available through Batteries Plus stores.

Duracell AGM Group 47

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
I too gave up on Optima batteries. Mine lasted only 3 years despite being on a tender during winter months.

I've switched to an ACDelco AGM. Size is not an issue as it's in a battery box in the trunk.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had an Optima battery in my Mustang for many years. The battery was encased to look like the OE battery from back in 1968....
It cost a TON of money but I liked the period look that it gave the car. When not driving, the car was kept on a BatteryMinder set for AGM batteries.
It lasted 16 years... just a month ago crapping out. I priced new versions of the battery I had - did NOT want to spend the $500+ they get for these new.
And... hearing the issues that Optima may have now, I just went down to NAPA and got a good old generic battery (as CR recommends for my size).
I have that on a charger now and will (I am sure) work fine...

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps do a trunk mount. I use an Odyssey battery, which has worked fine for six years. Note: don't let the battery run down or it dies deader than dead. . . ask me how I know (I leave the trickle charger connections on to remind me). The battery is 20cm by 17cm by 17.25 cm which is small. The battery has 540 cold cranking amps and does a good job starting the car.
TrunkInterior.jpg

taylorcom

Reaction score
I'm told the correct group size is 47. I just installed one (an Exide from Home Depot) and it seems to fit fine. It's 7.5" high. Before that, my e9 had a size 42 battery, which is shorter than the 47, and worked fine. Parts stores often recommend size 26R, which is 8" tall. I think that might be a bit tall for the small space available between the battery and the hood assembly.