Original factory leather CSL 38cm Petri and hub for sale

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've decided to sell my original factory CSL leather 38cm Petri and 4 ring extended CSL hub.

It is in fantastic conditon with only a small scuff to the plastic on horn button, and very slight scuff to the leather on the wheel. The plastic hub shroud is in excellent vintage condition with no cracks or chips.

It is one of the rarer unique items of the CSL, and virtually impossible to find in this condition.

I'll discuss the price with serious enquirers only by PM. Can ship worldwide

Attachments

• P1020843.JPG
    P1020843.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 400
  • P1020849.JPG
    P1020849.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 461
  • P1020850.JPG
    P1020850.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 393
  • P1020851.JPG
    P1020851.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 392
  • P1020852.JPG
    P1020852.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 395
  • P1020853.JPG
    P1020853.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 403
  • P1020854.JPG
    P1020854.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 387
  • P1020855.JPG
    P1020855.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 402
  • P1020856.JPG
    P1020856.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 386
  • P1020857.JPG
    P1020857.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 370
  • P1020858.JPG
    P1020858.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 363
  • P1020859.JPG
    P1020859.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 379
  • P1020860.JPG
    P1020860.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 374
  • P1020861.JPG
    P1020861.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 365
  • P1020862.JPG
    P1020862.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 357

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stunning item.

Is the leather wrapped Petri version, a special more rare option? I thought CSL Petri's were a composite rubber that looks very much like leather but is actually a synthetic hard black rubber foam based material, made out of a mould. It has a stitching effect only. My CSL has had such a Petri from new. I always thought it was original. It has alan key bolts.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Christopher, is it missing the turn signal cancellation part?

Thanks,
Rohan

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Christopher, is it missing the turn signal cancellation part?

Thanks,
Rohan
the horn cancellation part is a press fit piece (from BMW) that is true to all coupe wheels. it sits in the recess of the hub.
Thanks all, but the steering wheel is now sold, pending payment.
well bought to who ever bought this ... its a rare item in quite nice overall shape

Wladek

Reaction score
Very nice original condition wheel, new owner should be happy.
rsporsche is 100% right - horn cancellation part is a separate piece.
The only question is - why horn button bmw badge with silver ring aren't locked in place?

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've decided to sell my original factory CSL leather 38cm Petri and 4 ring extended CSL hub.

It is in fantastic conditon with only a small scuff to the plastic on horn button, and very slight scuff to the leather on the wheel. The plastic hub shroud is in excellent vintage condition with no cracks or chips.

It is one of the rarer unique items of the CSL, and virtually impossible to find in this condition.

I'll discuss the price with serious enquirers only by PM. Can ship worldwide
Pm sent, although sadly I may be too late:(

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Also seemed to be missing the horn contact mechanism at base of hub. The leather also looked very thick. Never seen one like that.

That is EXACTLY what a csl Petri wheel should be like. It is 100% correct, in every aspect. One has to have (had) a csl wheel to recognize one.

And yes, EVERY csl left the factory with a leather wrapped Petri with the 4 ring hub (except the carb csl’s with the Alpina wheel). The foam wheel is a replacement, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also seemed to be missing the horn contact mechanism at base of hub.

E9’s have a horn ring on the hub and a plunger on the steering column. I think you may be confusing e9’s with 2002’s which are the opposite.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Keshav, I think a lot if the early rhd csls left with the standard e9 wheel but I can't be sure!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Keshav, I think a lot if the early rhd csls left with the standard e9 wheel but I can't be sure!

It is pretty well documented that they came with 380mm prototipos. I wouldn’t put it past the UK market to do some one off though.

Interesting timing on this steering wheel zoo. Lorenzo was just helping me clear up some questions I had about the early CSL wheels. I’m going to necropost in an old thread about the subject today.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Hi Rohan, a happy to new year to you. You’ve mentioned that before too. There is only one guarantee, that there was no hard and fast rule regarding these cars.
Having said that, I find that whilst all the left hand csl’s were issued the leather Petri’s during the same production time and even before, it would have been odd if that infact happened. Specially if the RHD csl’s were also issued the leather csl 38cm Petris.
As an alternative, I can well imagine that some buyers might have opted for the ‘bus’ wheel as with A/C, regular E9 seats and any or all comfort options available. BMW would have done anything to sell those cars then.
Be safe
Keshav

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since this wheel is sold we can deviate somewhat on the csl idiocencracies like the very old discussion of sunroof csl’s.
Back in the day (alas) one could order a brand new E9 body from BMW which was delivered without a Vin. So if you had a totaled/ beyond repair E9, you could legally transfer the VIN from the damaged car to the new body, by showing the authorities that you had both, smashed car and new body from BMW with a bill.
And voila, you have a csl VIN legally on a E9 body with a sunroof. Hypothetically.
I’m not claiming that this is infact the answer to the sunroof csl’s, but it was surely a legal method available back then and has definitely taken place in many cases.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
While this topic is live, my curiosity has been sparked because majority of RHD Csl's I have looked at or seen photos of, has a Petri that seems to be like this one below - 40cm and the 'leather look black composite material'. However people on this thread have suggested they only came with 38cm leather wrapped Petri's.

As per the photo below of my wheel, I always thought it was the correct item for the car. Could it be that the RHD Csl's were issued with this type of wheel rather than the leather wrapped? or is the wheel I have just wrong?

Petri.jpeg

Wladek

Reaction score
While this topic is live, my curiosity has been sparked because majority of RHD Csl's I have looked at or seen photos of, has a Petri that seems to be like this one below - 40cm and the 'leather look black composite material'. However people on this thread have suggested they only came with 38cm leather wrapped Petri's.

As per the photo below of my wheel, I always thought it was the correct item for the car. Could it be that the RHD Csl's were issued with this type of wheel rather than the leather wrapped? or is the wheel I have just wrong?

View attachment 38790
Sorry Mal, but that one is incorrect BMW Petri 38 - this is actually VW Petri 38 with probably BMW hub (not sure because can't see, i only see proper hub cover for regular 3 ring hub). Horn button is Chinese Jet brand or so.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A true leather csl wheel with the longer 4 ring hub is so extremely rare that you pretty much have to accept the sellers price. The CSL Petri is like the Csl’s business card of introduction, a must for any sorted out csl.

More or less like the 5 black slat kidney. Another must for a csl.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
14A0F014-1AF4-4FBD-B46F-597CA9BA276A.jpeg
Appears to be a 38cm instead of a 40, judging the spacing between the lower spoke holes and the grip This pic will show the difference. It is the easiest way to differentiate a 38 and a 40 Petri. There have been instances where a seller doesn’t even know what size Petri they have. The spacing between the drilled hole and grip knob is as follows: 38cm- approx. 8mm, 40cm- 18mm.

Last edited: