Outer cill cover removal

mr bump

Reaction score
Is there a thread on how the outer cill covers are removed? If not, can somone direct me on how it's done? It's time to take them off and see what's hiding and then a liberal blast of waxoyl.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there a thread on how the outer cill covers are removed? If not, can somone direct me on how it's done? It's time to take them off and see what's hiding and then a liberal blast of waxoyl.

They held on by about 10 phillips screws. You need to remove the stainless door sill also. It’s very straight forward. Good to see what is under there but removing them to spray wax isn’t necessary. You can acccess the rocker cavities with the cover in place. I found holes in my outer rocker so it is worthwhile to remove them and inspect the rockers.

mr bump

Reaction score
Hi Markos, thank you for the reply, I've got the x2 holes in the inner cill, but I've discovered a little bit of rot on the joint of the inner cill and floor, so il need to have a look just in case.
So there held on only by the screws, how does the cill trim come off?

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
how does the cill trim come off?

The sill trim is hold in place with plastic tabs - do not remove if not absolutely necessary, as they will break.
You don't have to remove the trim to remove the sill cover from the car.

IMG_0389.JPG IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0393.JPG

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
if they break set them with kbquick
and if the trim ones come off you need to set a washer behind them
set w jbquick so they stand up high enuff to catch and slide the rail on
or they wont catch and stay

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The sill trim is hold in place with plastic tabs - do not remove if not absolutely necessary, as they will break.
You don't have to remove the trim to remove the sill cover from the car.

MY sill trim has bolts going through it but it seems like a common workaround. They also had big globs of silicone on the backside. Definitely fiddled with.

Just so you know that I’m not crazy (my excuse for being wrong)... I’ll start with a quote from @Sven. He knows his way around an e9. Then I’ll show pics of my rocker cover.

My cover panel has a bunch of screws. You need to remove the stainless steel door threshold trim (4 screws) first. Then under that should be 4 screws the connect the top leg of the trim into the rocker behind. Along the bottom I had 5-6 very small screws. These were hard to see under the paint. Use the correct size screwdriver as these stripped easily. At the rear wheel well there was a screw into the panel flange. I do not recall if the front end had a screw. Be prepared for all the dirt and rust to fall out...

Good luck.

Now, here is what I have. A rocker cover held in place with 14 screws, and a lip that requires one to remove the sill prior to removing the rocker. No plastic tabs to speak of. They are also made of steel.

10 tiny screw holes like this along the rocker cover, four more by the door sill.
E7D124DE-6B61-4E10-91A4-26BB152D129C.jpeg

In case this isn't clear, this it the top of the rocker cover, where the door sill sits.
74DC2E60-40FB-4CCA-89C9-1B1E63763614.jpeg

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
MY sill trim has bolts going through it but it seems like a common workaround. They also had big globs of silicone on the backside. Definitely fiddled with.

Just so you know that I’m not crazy (my excuse for being wrong)... I’ll start with a quote from @Sven. He knows his way around an e9. Then I’ll show pics of my rocker cover.

Now, here is what I have. A rocker cover held in place with 14 screws, and a lip that requires one to remove the sill prior to removing the rocker. No plastic tabs to speak of. They are also made of steel.

10 tiny screw holes like this along the rocker cover, four more by the door sill.
View attachment 52912

In case this isn't clear, this it the top of the rocker cover, where the door sill sits.
View attachment 52914

Ah, yes the outer SS lower door trim has to be removed to be able to remove the rocker cover, I thought the question was about the rocker cover trim.

Pictures to clear it up a bit, first remove:
IMG_20181009_093301.jpg

Then these rocker cover screws are exposed:
IMG_20181009_093352.jpg

How it looks with rocker cover removed:
2015-08-27 15.24.17.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not sure what the OP is asking about. :D I think part of it is semantics. I'll provide my definitions for the OP, and see if this makes sense. I'm not sure if they are the real terminology. I'm not going to the garage to get my parts book, even if it is sitting on the hood of my car. :D

1. Rocker Cover: Outer cover that collects water and hides the giant hole in your outer rocker. Contains two large drain holes/jacking points that I will never ever use.
2. Outer Rocker: The exterior sheetmetal of yoru rocker panel. May contain rust holes. Also contains two large drain holes/jacking points that I will never ever use.
3. Rocker Structure: I don't know what to call this thing. I've only seen it in pictures and through the rust hole in my outer rocker. This piece has holes on purpose and provides structural rigidity.
4. Inner Rocker: This is inside the car, the outer lip of the floor. It doesn't seem to rust much but the floor board can separate from this rocker. It also has a few holes that are supposed to be there. You can use them to spray wax in if you desire.
5. Outer door sill: Stainless steel trim piece that sits under the door when it is closed and makes the car look pretty.
6. Inner door sill: Stainless steel trim that holds the carpet down and makes the car look pretty.

BaT CSI - Outer Sill, Inner Sill, and rocker cover.
E36B3236-0E1A-405C-B106-F1B74B4B8143.jpeg

My project car. Rocker cover and outer sill removed.
E22066AD-636F-41AF-8D49-2E94BAB83EEE.jpeg

So what I gathered. The rocker covers are held on with 14 screws. The rocker cover trim is held on by extremely fragile plastic clips that may have been haphazardly replaced with bolts. The Stainless trim is screwed in place, and the outer one must be removed to take off the rocker cover. There is no real reason to remove the inner sill trim unless you are trying to peel back the carpet to access the inner rocker holes. You may run into some terribly strong carpet glue that will cause your carpet to rip apart if you pull too hard, especially near the door jamb.

Ah, yes the outer SS lower door trim has to be removed to be able to remove the rocker cover, I thought the question was about the rocker cover trim.

Hi Markos, thank you for the reply, I've got the x2 holes in the inner cill, but I've discovered a little bit of rot on the joint of the inner cill and floor, so il need to have a look just in case.
So there held on only by the screws, how does the cill trim come off?

Last edited:

mr bump

Reaction score
Terminology is clouding here I think. UK we call them cills, USA call them rockers. We call the engine cover a rocker cover.

So it's the outer rocker cover I'm removing which is held in by 14 screws.
Great tip about the rocker cover trim clips if they break.

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
both 'cill' and 'sill' turn out to be correct english it seems...
It was also new for me!
#learningeveryday