Overheating Me and my 75 E9

nathanegger

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new member and new owner of a 1975 CS Euro. Thought it would be cheaper then therapy but after it started overheating this weekend I don't know. I have seen some things about upgrading the fans and water pump? I figure if I am going in I should redo all new? Any help would be great. Oh and I probably should have kept my 72 CS I restored 22 years ago feels like I'm starting all over. Good news is selling it for some Huggies was worth it since she is a fine scholar at CSU, bad news is she keeps asking me when my car will be all fixed up for her. ;-)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you don't the age of these vital parts I would replace the water pump. See if you have the fan with the most number of blades. Belts tight and turning pullys? And don't forget the magic screw on the thermostat housing. I believe you bleed it until there is a constant flow of antifreeze but double check that with others who know more about it.

It will still be cheaper than therapy and much more enjoyable.

tmason

Reaction score
If you have air in the line's (low water) I think it over heats as well. This happen to me?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My hot climate running regimen:

1. Drill thermostat at the 12 oclock posiiton

2. Lock the fan clutch to always on (depending on the one you have)-no risk of blowing the head up because of some crappy clutch failure

3. Park the car with the engine a little higher up than the back, turn the heater on for a minute or so, then open the bleed hole when idling (i put a wad of paper towel by the opening to catch coolant) for a few seconds. Close and repeat.

4. When engine is cool, disconnect the overflow hose at the tank, attach another hose to the tank fitting, hold the one from the radiator up in the air and gently blow into the other one until coolant comes up out of the hose. Put your finger over it and reattach to the tank.

There are other posts on this.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I always ream out the expansion tank nipple and then verify good flow to the expansion tank.

MMercury

Reaction score
owner of a 1975 CS Euro. Thought it would be cheaper then therapy but after it started overheating this weekend I don't know. I have seen some things about upgrading the fans and water pump? ;-)

Others' suggestions are all excellent, yet you might want to start at the beginning by describing the patient's general mechanical condition and the specific symptoms. For example, are you assuming that the engine is overheating because of the gauge? Notwithstanding a few reports to the contrary, the temp gauge can prove deceptively inaccurate and "twitchy." A thermometer may be your best friend. http://e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2808

Of course, a gauge is unnecessary if your engine is exhibiting symptoms of being steam powered. If this is the case, are you loosing coolant? Does the expansion tank cap hold pressure? With the cap removed, or with the translucent tank, can you see coolant flow? As noted, the other suggestions are excellent, but unless you wish to replace all parts as an unpgrade or preventative maintenance, you need to determine what is causing the problem. Generally speaking, replacing a water pump and fan clutch will not correct a plugged radiator.

100_2211.jpg
jsm0qc.jpg