Paint code plate?

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just got this today and planning to get the bottom line stamped with paint code.

For accuracy should I stamp just two digits ie 72 or three 072? Also should the stamped numbers be in the middle box or to the RH side of box?

I have read some old posts and seems to be that Karman never stamped the top row on E9s ie NR? Is that still the forum consensus? Or did they perhaps stamp the VIN here?

Also has anyone got a photo so I can install mine in the right position inside the door. I have tried to find some photos on google/forum but they are not clear re specific position.

Cheers

37277244_10215301822012977_3386052474140884992_n.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No NR numbers were stamped, paint code on bottom and usually haphazardly stamped. Under this tag there is a number stamped into the body which apparently is a Karmann number which generally follows build sequence, e.g. later cars have the highest numbers.

jeme9

Reaction score
Mal,
FYI mine says just 37 (for my blue).
Here is a photo, sorry car in shed and could not open door very far !)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1809.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1809.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 284

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I looked at my stored pics, and this is what I have; barely enough I think to decide on.
I can make a specific one tomorrow, and post Thursday if needed.

Roughly it looks to be centered below the doorswitch, with a horizontal band of ~5 mm of paint visible between switch and top of paint code plate.

Attachments

• 20180313_215724.jpg
    20180313_215724.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 273

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
O
I looked at my stored pics, and this is what I have; barely enough I think to decide on.
I can make a specific one tomorrow, and post Thursday if needed.

Roughly it looks to be centered below the doorswitch, with a horizontal band of ~5 mm of paint visible between switch and top of paint code plate.

That’s great, that’s what I needed, to know the mounting position. Many thanks!

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s pretty beat up but original.

Just 72 roughly centered in the box and haphazardly as Chris mentioned.

34B3FC66-F61A-415B-A706-DFD2BCB4B40F.jpeg

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Mal

I appreciate I'm late to the party but FWIW I attach a photo of mine, which confirms what others have said.
The Karmann operatives can't have had a straight edge- the digits are sloppily punched.

Marco
IMG_4778.JPG
IMG_4778.JPG

Judging by my photo I need to learn how to focus (sounds like my old school report)!!!

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input. I managed to installed my new paint plate today.

The mountings pins are really tiny so not the easiest thing in the world to mount.

These paint code plates are available from cs-werk.de if anyone needs one. The guy Chris who runs it sells lots of other obscure little e9 items for the detail obsessed.

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input. I managed to installed my new paint plate today.

The mountings pins are really tiny so not the easiest thing in the world to mount.

These paint code plates are available from cs-werk.de if anyone needs one. The guy Chris who runs it sells lots of other obscure little e9 items for the detail obsessed.

Mal,
What mounting pins did you use, and where did you find them? I’m about to install a plate on my car aswell, but haven’t got around to it since I haven’t found any original-looking pins.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mal,
What mounting pins did you use, and where did you find them? I’m about to install a plate on my car aswell, but haven’t got around to it since I haven’t found any original-looking pins.

The mounting pins came with the plate when I bought it. Tiny little steel pins.

(In fact 1 of mine went missing, and therefore I only used 3, so I actually need to find another pin somewhere.

plate.png

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
The mounting pins came with the plate when I bought it. Tiny little steel pins.

(In fact 1 of mine went missing, and therefore I only used 3, so I actually need to find another pin somewhere.

View attachment 49386

Ah, I see.
I bought the same plate from Chris, but it’s a while ago and no pins came with it. Have to send him an email and check if he has more in stock.
Thank you!