Patricia A. Mayer's 3.0 CS / Paul Cain's Fjord project / The 300 mile Test Drive / VIII / Final Punch List

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful paint.

With the altered shut line gap on the hood looking so correct, wondering what the reasoning was on the stock shut gap distance. Finger access to open?

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul. good luck finding family members and keeping it original. I have so blessed finding the original owner of my 2800cs. Love hearing all the stories about the car and trying my best to restore every thing original. Its been a fun friendship and I have even had the opportunity to meet him live. Please keep posting your progress

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last thing I want to do is add more things to your plate but are you leaving the Fasten your seatbelt sign in?
Bmachine. Happy to reply. I will be keeping the Fasten Seat Belt Dome. The alternative of patching holes would not be successful and there is, I am sure, a permanent rectangular impression in the dash, begging the question 'what when there' ? BTW, the original seat belt buzzer was still attached and buzzing when I took delivery.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bmachine. Happy to reply. I will be keeping the Fasten Seat Belt Dome. The alternative of patching holes would not be successful and there is, I am sure, a permanent rectangular impression in the dash, begging the question 'what when there' ? BTW, the original seat belt buzzer was still attached and buzzing when I took delivery.
i think that is a smart decision. there will be a depression if its removed. its only worth doing that if you have cracks in the dash to fix - the easiest way to fix all of it is is to use vinyl welding - you have to cut stuff out and fill + sand - then top with padded dash filler - sand, create texture / paint. its a ton of work.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think that is a smart decision. there will be a depression if its removed. its only worth doing that if you have cracks in the dash to fix - the easiest way to fix all of it is is to use vinyl welding - you have to cut stuff out and fill + sand - then top with padded dash filler - sand, create texture / paint. its a ton of work.
...or send to Just Dashes

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
...or send to Just Dashes
Hmmm......Just Dashes. They are not on my Xmas card list. They will quote you 14 weeks and deliver in 23 weeks after repeated badgering. The much larger issue is the fit problems they unknowingly create when they layer their non-matching vinyl grain covering over your original. This is in the area forward of the defroster vents and it makes for nightmare fit issues with windscreen weather-stripping that no longer has a place to fit. And you can't get your windscreen back in after seven attempts. You have no choice but to resort to repeatedly forcing the entire dash down (with custom made fasteners) as the only solution along with scalpel trimming. The pressure pushing it down puts the entire assembly under serious stress. Then, the extreme R+L tail ends have no chance of getting back under the aluminum trim. Then you get the bill from Just Dashes. Quite possibly one of the most arrogant suppliers in the restoration world. No. thank. you.

If you have a 1967 Chevelle and need your door pulls recovered in light metallic blue, they are probably a good source.

Patricia Mayer's dash is crack free. The wood, as you will see in upcoming chapters, is pristine. There is no way in h*ll I am taking this dash out.

@rsporsche is correct. vinyl welding and localized fixes is a PITA, however this approach is much preferred if you have to do dash work.

Sorry, rant over.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Paul- Is there a way to change the "message" in the dome? Perhaps something cute or Patricias initials "PAM"...just an idea...

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
If leaving the "Fasten Seat Belts" message intact, it would be tempting to add a little timer so it lit up at ignition on but went off by itself a few seconds later, without the need to actually fasten your seatbelts (but you know you always will) to avoid dealing with vintage seatbelts and contacts.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's what i did on my 2002's ... just disconnected the buzzer. then the light bulb burned out and all was well.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some say.....Fjord Blue is not just a paint. It's a lifestyle!!

(This was another 'experiment' back in 2016, to see if I could successfully paint a bike. Using the paint coupon from the 3.8 CSi, I repainted this Trek Domane frame that was originally satin black).

Attachments

• IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 165

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know, I know, the black out at the "C" pillar is not stock. I think leaving this body color simply looks like overspray. I could not resist. Gas door alignment is a PITA, but now its in the bag. Euro plate mount after gold zinc plating. Euro plate will get covered with the Calif. blue plate. Fog lamp is going to require more work to make a cut out in the hard board rear wall panel.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg