Patricia A. Mayer's 3.0 CS / Paul Cain's Fjord project / The 300 mile Test Drive / VIII / Final Punch List

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did not realize this was Patricia’s official coming out party and what a grand coming out it was. The car was memorizing in the fading desert light. The posted pictures do not do the amazing paint job justice. The Fjord blue seeming changed colors as you walked around the car captivating all the spectators. Everything on the car interior and exterior was perfection. What fitting coming out to win the peoples choice award.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you Gent's for your kind words. This has been a very, very fun and rewarding journey. I am now working the final punch list to get it as close to the showroom experience as possible.

One last photo from La Quinta and the gloating will stop. I promise. This photo credit goes to Kyle Van Hoften of the Bimmer Life and Roundel fame. He caught the car 20 minutes after my novice shots. Professional photographers - what a difference in quality.

Attachments

• Credit Kyle Van Hoften.jpg
    Credit Kyle Van Hoften.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 279

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris Macha organizes his annual October "Kustenfahrt' (coastal drive) in Big Sur and the central Calif. wine region. This year was particularly epic as it was my first time on the holy grail of sports car roads - Calif. Hwy 229. I feel as if I am the last guy in the sports car club to enjoy this unbelievable ribbon of blacktop. Yes, it is a two lane road, but allegedly one of the least travelled highways in Calif. Its worth clicking on:

Fast forward to 2 min 50 sec. on the Youtube clip to see the treats that Chris had in store for everyone. This was day 3 on a phenomenal tour of the most scenic parts of California.

A massive thanks to Chris for his organizing this event and to the wonderful conversations and friendships that solidified at Thatcher Winery on Saturday afternoon. One of the best quotes reflecting on the 229 hwy was that "it was like being on a skiing slalom course combined with moguls".

Why am I posting this hear? At this event it became public that Patricia Mayer's Coupe had sold. Three days before this event. It was not for sale, however the buyer was persuasive, a serious long term owner and one that will keep the car in great condition. It's going to a great home in the Pacific North West.

I am extremely grateful for all of your encouragement and support in this wonderful year in returning deep into E9's. Yes, I have dabbled with other marques'. But I know where my friends are. Here. An extremely sincere "thank you'' and in the words of the Terminator......''I'll be back".

Attachments

• IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3132.jpg
    IMG_3132.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1846.JPEG
    IMG_1846.JPEG
    433.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0782.JPEG
    IMG_0782.JPEG
    288.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3133.jpg
    IMG_3133.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3168.jpg
    IMG_3168.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 191

dpdapper

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris Macha organizes his annual October "Kustenfahrt' (coastal drive) in Big Sur and the central Calif. wine region. This year was particularly epic as it was my first time on the holy grail of sports car roads - Calif. Hwy 229. I feel as if I am the last guy in the sports car club to enjoy this unbelievable ribbon of blacktop. Yes, it is a two lane road, but allegedly one of the least travelled highways in Calif. Its worth clicking on:

Fast forward to 2 min 50 sec. on the Youtube clip to see the treats that Chris had in store for everyone. This was day 3 on a phenomenal tour of the most scenic parts of California.

A massive thanks to Chris for his organizing this event and to the wonderful conversations and friendships that solidified at Thatcher Winery on Saturday afternoon. One of the best quotes reflecting on the 229 hwy was that "it was like being on a skiing slalom course combined with moguls".

Why am I posting this hear? At this event it became public that Patricia Mayer's Coupe had sold. Three days before this event. It was not for sale, however the buyer was persuasive, a serious long term owner and one that will keep the car in great condition. It's going to a great home in the Pacific North West.

I am extremely grateful for all of your encouragement and support in this wonderful year in returning deep into E9's. Yes, I have dabbled with other marques'. But I know where my friends are. Here. An extremely sincere "thank you'' and in the words of the Terminator......''I'll be back".

Bummed to have missed it this year due to being on the other side of the world. Next year (again), if Chris will have me.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK Paul - congrats on your wonderful restoration, and for allowing another enthusiast to enjoy the fruits of your labor (I assume you were satisfactorily rewarded).

Now - your next project, if you accept is the challenge - is to purchase a well known car on this forum and make it into what it COULD become! Since we've been informed that it may be for sale, here's a link: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/4310316-begins.21172/

Good Luck,

Gary

PS: To Paul, et al: I was really just kidding. I'm not really sure who is going to undertake that project!!!!!!

Last edited:

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning the new owners of Patricia Mayer's coupe take delivery. The car is ready after ticking all the minor stuff of the final punch list. The car comes with a full complement of documentation, tools and literature. I kept dragging stuff out of the attic, until it filled the dining room table. This is what the car will come with for supporting documentation. Thought you would enjoy.

Attachments

• supporting documentation.jpg
    supporting documentation.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 147

ChasC

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning the new owners of Patricia Mayer's coupe take delivery. The car is ready after ticking all the minor stuff of the final punch list. The car comes with a full complement of documentation, tools and literature. I kept dragging stuff out of the attic, until it filled the dining room table. This is what the car will come with for supporting documentation. Thought you would enjoy.
Paul, I am a new comer here and just came across your thread - truly amazing reporting and gorgeous final product. Wow, as everyone has said! The very first entry actually caught my eye as I recently purchased my 74 CS and addressing all of its deficiencies. I have unconnected wires that I believe connect to the key buzzer, which was not present but I have been able to source here on the Forum - but how to wire it?! You noted that yours was still connected - do you recall how it was wired and by any chance have any photos of it?!

Thanks very much and congrats again!!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
"It was not for sale, however the buyer was persuasive,...."

Must've gotten a REAL GOOD OFFER to good to refuse!