Patricia A. Mayer's 3.0 CS Preservation 2021 / BaT / Paul Cain's new 1974 Fjord project

paul cain

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Image 8695 bares repeating. Note just how dark the un-UV damaged Fjord blue paint is. This shadow line is from the rubber accordion side cover protecting this paint for the past 48 years.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 51

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After that he’ll have to put the hood grilles on then drink a cold one

Steve - I laughed out loud at that comment, because I knew it was absolutely true.

In the late '70's, I was in Munich on business, and had a half day of leisure time, so - owning an e3 and an e9 at the time I arranged a factory tour at the BMW plant. From the assembly line through the engine assembly area, etc. every work station had a bench almost within arms reach of the workers station with an open beer bottle on it. In case any of you have found some error or part mis-alignment in your e-9, you shouldn't necessarily blame it on the PO, it could just have been assembled at the end of the day in Munchen!!

Fast forward to tours I took of both a Mercedes C class and a VW Phaeton plant in Germany about 5 years ago, and there was no alcohol to be seen anywhere.

Gary

Keshav

Site Donor $
Reaction score
From the assembly line through the engine assembly area, etc. every work station had a bench almost within arms reach of the workers station with an open beer bottle on it.

“Was als Nationalgetränk der Deutschen gilt, ist in Bayern Grundnahrungsmittel – das Bier, auch „flüssiges Brot“ genannt. Kein Wunder, dass zu einem traditionellen bayerischen Weißwurstfrühstück, neben süßem Senf und einer Brezen, das Weißbier nicht fehlen darf.”

Translated: “What is considered the national drink of Germans is a staple food in Bavaria - beer, also known as“ liquid bread ”. No wonder that a traditional Bavarian veal sausage breakfast, along with sweet mustard and a pretzel, should not be missing a wheat beer. "

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone done a study of the quality of E9 production by build date correlated to the outcome of Bayern Munchen matches the day before? I have a feeling both major victories and stunning losses might have contributed to the care and attention found in construction.

paul cain

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Converting the shifter consoles from automatic to stick shift. 11 simple steps:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 21
  • 8.8.jpg
    8.8.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 9.1.JPG
    9.1.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 21
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8744.jpg
    IMG_8744.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8745.JPG
    IMG_8745.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 25

paul cain

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pinstripe,
It was hidden in broad daylight:
There were actually two long term owners. I am still working on building the provenance book. I can now confirm that Patricia A. Mayer (original owner) was an avid water skier - into her seventies! This is going to be an interesting story.