Paul Cain's new project

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Paul is a nearby neighbor of mine--seeing is believing!!

Another long BLUMAX or related story follows--

observation of the little "peeks" at the project--an awesome engineering undertaking with awesome outcome--by sheer coincidence happened by when Satch Carlson and photo gal Kelley from Roundel were in town for pic session--coming soon I suspect in a featured Roundel article--so if not a BMWCCA member get on board to get your personal copy and 11 others each year and much more--some of you may not be members so to get on board--Call the Roundel folks at 864-250-0022--they will sign you up--you can use my membership #88131 to get "special" treatment--

I just made up that last part--truth be known--all warm bodies are well treated by the Roundel team.

many of the of pics of the "project vehicle" were taken on a hoist at--one of my favorite stops and a collaborator to the project--so a shameless plug follows--

at Black Forest Independent BMW service in Costa Mesa--owner is Randy Nelson--whom I have known since he was a fuzzy cheeked lad hangin' out with my younger son--the BLUMAX became the first BMW he had ever touched in about 1975 or '76--to increase the idle speed when BLUMAX was also much younger--my son and Randy shared rent for a house with Dan Gurneys older son--also a fine mechanic--and a couple of years later we convinced Randy there would be many BMW's in the future and he should learn from a pro--introduced him to one of the first BMW Master Mechanics here in Orange County and 10 years later he opened his own Independent BMW service business near what has become one of the largest concentrations of BMW's in the USA with 3 of the largest BMW new car "stealers"--eerrr centers in the country within 10 miles--yes the numbers of BMW's have grown hugely in this coastal area of SoCal--so on at least one rare occasion my crystal ball was clear and accurate--the rest of this story is a result of his hard work, diligence and integrity in successfully building a loyal following of several hundred customers by referral--providing quality service at reasonable prices for early, later, and the newer BMW's--no advertising budget required

BLUMAX has had many touches from Randy since--hence his continued good health as he approaches 37 years and just over 405K miles.

BTW--'m sworn to secrecy as to the results of the "project"--so don't ask-- as after I told you I would have to kill you!!

Dave L

Reaction score
PC's project

Many pic's of the finished product are in an article in the current Roundel from the CCA. Murray make a reference to this, but it is actually in the latest issue. No more speculation about it, it's in full color baby! Sounds like it was a MAJOR undertaking.

Roger S

Reaction score
Word and article are out and images are being ...

supplied straight from the source. Praise is well deserved. BMW should sponsor guys like Paul. One can only imagine how many of us will dream up ideas for our cars/be inspired based on their detailed work, and shell out more funds toward the project(s). Keith Kreeger (www.my2002tii.com) is another enthusiast that comes to mind who also shares information, resources, and ideas freely. If you haven't checked out the restoration of Stella, a square tail tii, it's a phenomenal site.

I have been reading a lot of great tech posts on this site; thanks to all for sharing your ideas and knowledge in a supportive and mature forum. Its great to be able to come on and learn so much and feel confident about the sources. Often times one must take with a grain of salt what others post on most boards.

Congrats again Paul! Cannot wait to see the Fjord family rather stable photo. More images can be found at this link: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,276338/

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is a massive leak in the pics dam! Cat is out of bag

Check your mailboxes for the July issue of the roundel. The mystery is over. Cat is completely out of bag.

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another One

I had met Paul and Mike Self at Crystal Cove the morning of the "unveiling" and had heard rumors of the project, but I was not prepared for the Roundel article. All I can say is WOW!

Paul Cain has produced another outstanding example of where the marque might have gone by applying modern technology to yesterday's body styles. Why go "Retro" when you can use the real thing?

Highest congratulations to Paul, Tom and everyone else involved in the project.

Now for Paul's next project . . . .

Reaction score
3002... hummmm... factory-like engineering... huhummmm...

Was this the inspiration, Paul?
A one-off factory 3002, half 2800CS and half '02, supposed to have been run by Rauno Aaltonen in german Touring Car or european Rallies...

[Broken External Image]:http://forum.autohoje.com/uploaded/Lino Marques/200532021735_BMW 3002.jpg

Check the front end, it's undoubtedly E9, slightly narrowed to fit the '02 windscreen base. Underneath it should be full E9 on a shortened wheelbase.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What was the inspiration? Factory turbo racing photo reply

Actually, somewhat yes, the factory racing turbos were (as I recall) 270 hp and had very exotic cooling systems.

I just wanted a high specific output 6 cyl with the minimum weight, thats what drove the M54 motor selection. The trans was a wild idea to get the best weight distribution and I wanted a bigger technical challenge than the coupe (relearning "be careful what you ask for......) . Two turbos, engine management and a transaxle seemed tough, but do-able, in bit size chunks. It turned out to be a lot of chunks!

P.S. I think in the photo we ARE looking at an E10 (2002). Someone has just glued on a coupe blinker on an '02 fender (top edge still clamshells to the hood). It is very visually decieving though.

Reaction score
Hummm...

Not so sure about that being just an E10 with a different blinker. Look at the angle of the front grille, look at the lip where the license plate and extra lights are fixed (even has those two rows of rectangular openings), these are CS features and I had never seen these on a competition '02.
By the way, your car looks awesome. Should drive accordingly!