Paul McCartney

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
What's going on with Paul McCartney? I'm probably in the minority but I have never been a Beatles fan, and I'm even less a fan of the Wings. I do think he is very talented. First, a week or two ago, he says John Lennon was responsible for their breakup. Ok. Now, he's comparing the Rolling Stones to a jazz cover band. Why now?

Personally, I much prefer that cover band to the Fab Four.

Maybe he needs a hobby, a rusty e9 could keep him busy for a long long time.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
An entertainer I respect always argues that rock starts should not live past 70 years old...nothing good comes of the mismatch between their essence and who they become...

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
McCartney has always had a tendency to “rewrite” history in his favor. Especially since George and John are not around to to call him out. He had as much to do with the break up as any one else. There are some good books on the subject.
Regarding the Stones, they started as a blues band In the London clubs in the early 60s. One of the reasons Brian Jones left the band in 1969 was because he felt they had gotten away from their blues roots. To call them a blues cover band now is idiotic.
When I’m 79 I hope I can keep saying stupid stuff to a minimum. (Its hard enough at 61)

Agreed that Paul needs a new hobby. Maybe he should learn how to weld.

Speaking of new hobbies. Has anyone seen Eric Clapton‘s and Van Morrison’s anti-vaccination stances? Wait, wrong thread, never mind. ;)

Last edited:

day66

Reaction score
You do get the feeling he has a huge chip on his shoulder... George always seemed to be the guy that would have been the best company

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Speaking of new hobbies. Has anyone seen Eric Clapton‘s and Van Morrison’s anti-vaccination stances? Wait, wrong thread, never mind. ;)
I can see Clapton singing:
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie,
Vaccine

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, he has a point on the blues cover band thing. The Stones covered a lot of really great blues material and provided huge support to US blues musicians once they became successful. They "introduced" a lot of us white guys to blues music, and took a lot of cues and tricks from those songs into their original material. I still listen to a lot of the stuff they listened to and covered.

Its also true that it wasn't as easy for the Stones to write songs the way Lennon and McCartney did. But there are very few song writing duos on the planet that can match those two. I remember the story about Mick being amazed at watching John and Paul sit down at a table in a pub and write an original song in less than half an hour.

All that said, I think Arde has a point. Old rockers don't get better with age. (Although Nick Mason, who is still racing his $30 million Ferrari 250 GTO, seems to be doing pretty well).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Man I saw the title and assumed he died. Sigh of relief! I’ll skip the drama. Totally agree with @Arde.

I definitely like the Beatles far more than the stones. I’ve really been appreciating the stones more lately however. I need to be in mood to put on the Beatles, especially their early stuff. I get the stones more frequently in one song doses. There are more stones songs that I don’t know than I do. They have been in the news lately but I won’t go down that rabbit hole.

In other music news:

My 12yo son recently asked me
why John Lennon was killed. We both watched this interview. I was around his age when it aired:

I’m sure @BarryG could appreciate this, but for some reason at 8:15AM this
morning, my kids are listening to Grateful Dead: Althea live at Nassau Coliseum). I think mom had something to do with it. :D

Lastly while on the subject of music and my injection of kids… The Cruela movie has an amazing 70’s soundtrack and was thoroughly entertaining Better in the movie than over audio. They used Tina and Ike covers numerous times, presumably for cost savings. Fantastic acting by the Emmas and Paul Hauser (guy who played suspected Atlanta bomber).