Paul's Folly: A Great White North Restoration

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello Gang,

This will likely be slowly meandering thread on the restoration of a '74 3.0 CS that I picked up from California this past fall. I'm new to e9's and don't fancy myself handy with a wrench ( failing on both aspects of Red Green's quote "if women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" ), so the results should be interesting.

The ad:
74 e9 3.0CS.jpg

Looks great doesn't it?!
Well that was at the car's peak in 2014. Wasn't used much since that picture, sat around and got flabby, or maybe I'm confusing what happened to me when we had kids...

It received the papal blessing from none other that sfdon, who said it had good potential. (Just like my grade school teachers would say when they were trying to be nice to my parents about my school performance.) Anyhoo, I didn't grow up to become a criminal, so Don's advice was well taken, and I purchased the car.

My son and I smuggled it across the border one weekend and I managed to get it licenced in BC with only a few hiccups, none that were insurmountable. The plan is to buff it up a bit and keep it going as a driver. Being born with all thumbs and living in the frozen tundra will limit what I can do, but ignorance is bliss.

Driving a 40+ car is a new experience for me. Being raised on fuel injection, the whole choke thing takes some getting used to. It seems to start cold fairly well and driving is fine. However it tends to stall when slowing down at lights, leaving me wondering why I never learned to heel-toe. I've overshot the stop line once or twice when I stall her and lose the power braking, but no harm done yet. The idle will return slowly and she can sit at a light once it has returned, it's just losing those rpm's on the way to stopping and wondering if they will completely go, or if they will return to a slow idle that is a bit disconcerting. So likely first order will be a idle adjustment!

The car:
IMG_2822.jpg

She has seen better times, but hopefully there will be many more to come. One bad eye, vinyl interior missing a few bits and '74 bumpers, but good structure.

It has a dark blue headliner. Has anyone noticed that before? I've only seen white on other cars, but what do I know.
IMG_2833.jpg

The previous owner was very practical. Did a great job re-upholstering everything, but chose vinyl.
IMG_2818.jpg

Also chose map pocket delete, no door chrome strips and later model door arm rests. Oh well...

The engine bay is messy, but I hope that messy is something I can do!
IMG_2820.jpg

The trunk is also missing a few things, but the journey is part of the fun.

IMG_2855.jpg

I have a malleable plan: spit and polish for now, and in a few years replace engine with 3.5 fuel injection and 5 spd LSD and redo the interior in leather.

Realistically, I'll do what she-whom-must-be-obeyed will allow me to do.

This forum has been a great resource, and I apologise in advance for being such a needy bast*rdo, but the kinship has inspired me to try something new, try and keep my son out of video gaming if not for a few minutes, and hopefully have something we can be proud of for years to come.
Please bear with me...

IMG_2867.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 110

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Proof that it's the journey and not the destination...

Enjoy the hell out of your journey!

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lol, Thanks Don.
The journey will likely lead to sending you a '74 3.0 CS in bits and pieces and asking for you to fix it!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like you found a great car to start with!

I've seen a couple other e9:s with dark headliner, but that has to be custom/aftermarket since I think they all came with white from the factory.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With your sense of (self) humor you simply can't go wrong. Some of us have been doing this for over 30 years and still loving the challenges, of which there is no shortage! As per the pics, you have a great starting point, and yes, the headliner should be white.
Enjoy. Keshav

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
check your fuel system - because it's been sitting, clean out the tank and sender unit, new fuel hose, check the pump, and ensure the carb floats are operating correctly (those are Weber DGAV's yes?) as well as are clean on the inside. They may need a rebuild. This should solve your stalling. Keep the posts coming, good luck!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul,

Thanks for posting the pix of your acquisition. With Don's approval before the purchase, and again above, you can't go wrong. I too love the 'journey' almost as much as the destination, both in car purchase/improvement and in travel. Keep that great sense of humor and it will be a lot of fun and very rewarding.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
if you need any help with the car send me a note
i know every square in of that car including the wiring!!!
see my post in restoration
4310316 BEGINS

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW - your armrests look normal to me. Have any closeup pics? The aluminum strips are very hard to find, but map pockets shouldn't be too bad. I'll have my hands on a tan set from an early e24 in a week or two. Your seats are missing the aluminum trip strip that wraps around the seat back and sides. along with the lever for folding the bakcs forward (as you probably guessed).

If you decide that you want to ditch the single DIN radio for something period-correct let me know. I am reproducing the AC face plate for 1/3rd the cost of a clean original.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'll sum it up by adding "welcome to the madness"!! I hope your son proves to be more interested in the e9 than my son- but that could be because my son "knows everything" and yours is just learning :)

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice looking Coupe. I like the headliner. I'd second Steve's advice.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like you found a great car to start with!

I've seen a couple other e9:s with dark headliner, but that has to be custom/aftermarket since I think they all came with white from the factory.

The forum taught me that CSL's came from the factory with a black headliner. Agreed that the headliner looks good.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice looking car! Your stalling might be related to your brake booster. Does it stall when you are stationary in your driveway and you push the brake pedal?

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
check your fuel system - because it's been sitting, clean out the tank and sender unit, new fuel hose, check the pump, and ensure the carb floats are operating correctly (those are Weber DGAV's yes?) as well as are clean on the inside. They may need a rebuild. This should solve your stalling. Keep the posts coming, good luck!

Thanks for the tips Steve. Yes, I think I can make out 32/36 DGAV on the base of the webers. I've put some 94 octane Chevron super juice in and the car is running better. I'll see what a few tanks of fresh gas does for her.

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
if you need any help with the car send me a note
i know every square in of that car including the wiring!!!
see my post in restoration
4310316 BEGINS

Haha. Thanks Alan. I have been watching your restoration for a long time. You do know the '74's inside out - literally!

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BTW - your armrests look normal to me. Have any closeup pics? The aluminum strips are very hard to find, but map pockets shouldn't be too bad. I'll have my hands on a tan set from an early e24 in a week or two. Your seats are missing the aluminum trip strip that wraps around the seat back and sides. along with the lever for folding the bakcs forward (as you probably guessed).

If you decide that you want to ditch the single DIN radio for something period-correct let me know. I am reproducing the AC face plate for 1/3rd the cost of a clean original.

Thanks Markos, your grasp of the internet marketplace and value of all things e9 is astounding.

The armrests and the ashtrays are black (shouldn't they be blue?) The armrests are kind of hanging off the panel a bit. Haven't even tried to tighten up anything though. Could just be a loose bolt?
IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

I found the map pockets in a box that came with the car. Looks like someone tried another type of vinyl on them, so they don't match.
The vinyl panels are also just plain-Jane. The fish-scaley bit is missing off the top.

Ahh, I now see there was supposed to be the chrome trim between the vinyl seam on the sides.
IMG_2875.jpg

I wish I had a better way to search ebay! I search under e9, but get a lot of crap for e9x etc. Is there a secret way to exclude the models you don't want?

Your 3d printed face plate is amazing Markos. It was already on my list for Santa:).

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'll sum it up by adding "welcome to the madness"!! I hope your son proves to be more interested in the e9 than my son- but that could be because my son "knows everything" and yours is just learning :)
Lol. They've got it all figured out, don't they.

My son just wants to get the job done. It will be interesting to see how that works out with an obessive-complusive father.

He wanted a Porsche Turbo S to work on, so the car already has one strike against it!
Then again, one more excuse to avoid homework...;)

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice looking car! Your stalling might be related to your brake booster. Does it stall when you are stationary in your driveway and you push the brake pedal?

I haven't noticed that. When I'm stopped at a light with the brake on it will idle - if I haven't already stalled it.
I'll test that theory out next drive. Thanks.