Pebra Re-key

Henrik

Reaction score
Hi,
I have several old Pebra locks and keyes for doors, ignition and boot. Keys dosent fit locks so all in all, it's just a bunch of scrap.
I will try to re-key these locks. Does anyone know how this can be done? Any information or description of the principles out there (and hopefully a procedure of how to do it)?

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pebras are high security keys and require special equipment to make them. Mike can do it from codes and also rekey tumblers.

Henrik

Reaction score
I have managed to re-key a couple of locks now. A time consuming process and one needs a lot of patience:). Springs, tumblers and buckets lives their own life, constantly trying to fall to the floor where they can hide among old car parts. Too bad there are no new tumblers and other parts for these locks.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Henrik.
Good to see you managed.
How did you remove and reinstall the steel retaining plate? ( the ~1x5x20 mm thingy keeping the springs down)

I tried it myself a year or three ago, and started by purchasing some old locks to gather pins of various lengths.
I found that opening them up isnt that easy, as i tried to get the retaining plate out without to much damage. It needs to go back in when all is finished, and you need some metal left to 'crimp' it back in place.
You can't just remove material.
Figuring out how to reset them is easy. The pins have various lengths depending on the size of the hole in the key. I have a list somewhere.
Springs and balls are all the same if I remember well.

So I shelved it halfway in the process as I couldn't really figure out how to refit the retaining plate. How did you go about it? Would soldering it work?

(On holiday, so I have no pics to add umfortunately. If I remember this when I'm back I'll add some pics and the pin length list)

Wladek

Reaction score
Hi Henrik.
Good to see you managed.
How did you remove and reinstall the steel retaining plate? ( the ~1x5x20 mm thingy keeping the springs down)

I tried it myself a year or three ago, and started by purchasing some old locks to gather pins of various lengths.
I found that opening them up isnt that easy, as i tried to get the retaining plate out without to much damage. It needs to go back in when all is finished, and you need some metal left to 'crimp' it back in place.
You can't just remove material.
Figuring out how to reset them is easy. The pins have various lengths depending on the size of the hole in the key. I have a list somewhere.
Springs and balls are all the same if I remember well.

So I shelved it halfway in the process as I couldn't really figure out how to refit the retaining plate. How did you go about it? Would soldering it work?

(On holiday, so I have no pics to add umfortunately. If I remember this when I'm back I'll add some pics and the pin length list)
Try to slide that plate outside direction first.
If sliding will not work, you might also try to bend the plate from inside with tiny flat screwdriver or knife. You can bend, but you can't broke anything, so you have to be gentle & patient.
Already made it both ways on 2 locks & it worked for me.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have managed to re-key a couple of locks now. A time consuming process and one needs a lot of patience:). Springs, tumblers and buckets lives their own life, constantly trying to fall to the floor where they can hide among old car parts. Too bad there are no new tumblers and other parts for these locks.
Well done!

Do you have any parts left over? I'm hoping to get my car all working off one key, but i don't have any lock parts with which to take the job on.

Cheers

Henrik

Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, it´s vacation time even from e9 work:)
There are two different retaining plates or steel cover. One stainless steel cover which is secured by fingers which clip into slots and for some reason there are another steel plate type without fingers. I have one door lock of each type. I guess there have been a change of design at a point??
I slided out the steel plate without fingers quite easily using a small screwdriver and hammer. I also managed to assemble it the same way but to be sure it was safely secured I used a drill center pin to make some marks in the stator to keep it down. The plate with fingers don´t need any extra measures, only bend them a bit from each other before you push them into the slots.
IMG_0378.JPGIMG_0379.JPG
Do you have any parts left over? I'm hoping to get my car all working off one key, but i don't have any lock parts with which to take the job on.
Some parts still in the box, but hopefully I will repeat the re-keying nightmare for my other e9 which has 4 different keys. So it´s not time get rid of them yet:)

Henrik

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I also performed the same re-key to end up with two keys -trunk and door /ignition. Tedious work keeping the springs, pins and clips in order. I tested each lock cylinder with the key to make sure the pins fit into the key holes before final assembly. I used a small amount of 2 part epoxy on top of the clips as my clip legs did not seat well to assure they did not loosen after assembly. All works quite well.

Good luck.

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that strip down and match locks to keys, lots of our restos have several keys and it's so much nicer to have a single key.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone who does this as a service, however I think a key-cutting place would know if any company does this. It's not a bad DIY though. Spread out a big sheet of white paper or card, to spot the errant springs etc. as they fly off