Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Is anyone planning on going to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix? The local chapter guy says there are plenty of coupes coming but I haven't heard much about it otherwise. I plan to go if I am not out of the country, but I would only go for the Saturday and maybe Sunday sessions (7/18-19).

KHB

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm going, but most likely in the daily driver (05 Passat TDI). This will be my fourth year and wouldn't miss it. I plan on leaving Friday afternoon and returning Sunday evening (7/19). Seeing the cars race on Sunday is a highlight for me.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I'm really afraid I will not be able to make it. Business is events are looking more and more like I need to take an extended trip to China. I probably can't weasel out to attend but if there is any way to pull it off I will go.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The lawyers have fiddle-farted around and delayed my deal in Asia for a few days. It looks like I can make the Grand Prix! :D

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I counted 8 coupes and probably 300 BMWs. This included 2 M1s, 2 Isettas, and about 6 really old BMWs. Lots of '02s and a a Z1, a handful of Z8's. Us Marylanders made a good showing.

The highlight of the day may have been the toolkit feeler gauge discussions. I think Steve Bingham (84E24) may be on a quest to make replicas. I gave him my old nasty, rusty feeler gauges and we found a near perfect set to photograph to get the sizes, order, fonts, etc. For anyone who is interested, the sizes in order are: 70, 20, 40, 60. If Steve does pursue production of replicas I would encourage him to make the sizes meaningful for the coupe; points, intake valves, exhaust valves, and perhaps stacked up for the plugs.

The crowd was not as sophisticated as the V&V crowd. I determine this by how many people ask me what GOT DREIKUGALWIRBELWANNENBRENNRAUMEN? means; only two inquiries.

fo2grfr

Reaction score
2010 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Are y'all headed to the PVGP this year?
The 2010 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix is a great place to connect with fellow BMW owners. There were more than 300 BMWs on display in 2009 and the local chapter of the BMW Club is hoping to get as many again this year. Get your car on the track at BeaveRun July 16-18. The Allegheny BMW chapter will host a reception and BMW destination drive on Friday, July 23. Then July 24-25 we'll have the BMW pavilion in Schenley Park. All of our BMW activities are taking place with PVGP's historic races as a backdrop and acres of multi-marque car shows all weekend in Schenley Park. Cars came all the way from California last year so this is truly a national event. You can get more information here: http://www.pvgp.org/ or give me a shout if you want to know more.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
I will be driving up again this year...cant wait. last year was my first time attending and it was not disappointed. We should try to get as many folks from the area as possible to go and caravan together. Great times...

runner

Reaction score
It's still too soon for me to now for sure, but I am going to try to make, as I really want too. Great location and events from what I have heard. As it get closer to the time, any suggestions for places to stay will be welcome, along with "safe" and perhaps "dry" place for our coupes overnight.