Plastic Bags are Great again

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was in Austria this past September. They do not litter in rural Austria. Italy next door litters. Lot's of floating plastic on Lake Como. Not a cigarette butt or gum on the sidewalk in Hintertux, Austria

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a few friends that admit to me that they don't recycle...anything. Everything goes into the garbage. Everything. Seriously!? That's embarrassing, or at least should be. Just Effing lazy. Makes me very sad. One planet, one chance for the kids, and their kids, etc...I love where we live..it's beautiful, and surprisingly clean, so I take it personally when others treat it like chit. I used to spend a lot of time inThailand for several years, and one of the good things there (many aren't..) is that many of the grocery stores have "plastic" bags made of corn-based whatever that is totally compostable. There is a little of that currently happening in the US, but mostly here, its still LCD...lowest common denominator, i.e. the cheapest crap still wins, no matter the long range effects. My rant for today. Pray for the Republic, we need it.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a few friends that admit to me that they don't recycle...anything. Everything goes into the garbage. Everything. Seriously!? That's embarrassing, or at least should be. Just Effing lazy. Makes me very sad. One planet, one chance for the kids, and their kids, etc...
Even here in California where everything appears to about recycling, many people where I work throw their garbage in the recycling bins. And I work mostly with people in their 20s and 30s! They should know WAYYY better! They will pay for their stupidity for much longer than I will. I'll often go into the kitchen and open the bins and separate recyclables from trash myself. It drives me nuts.
At least plastic bags are finally banned almost everywhere.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
In many jurisdictions in Canada, the separated recycling is now just getting mixed back with the garbage in landfills because China has new more restrictive rules about taking our recycling and doing something with it. How can shipping a plastic bag across the ocean be better than burying or burning it in a pollution controlled incinerator and reclaiming some energy?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just a consideration; in the EU it is forbidden to export waste. Law is to treat it in your own country. So the solution to the problem is forced to be located in the country that is the originator of the problem.
Not sure if good or not, just another style of reasoning....

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the county where I live they separate recycling at the waste facility so most everyone just throws all the cans and bottles, etc in the garbage. This method is probably more affective since it all gets looked at...