Plastic weld project - what kind of plastic is the windshield fluid reservoir made of?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is cracking along the seam where it mounts into the bracket and I'd like to plastic weld it together, it's in otherwise nice patina'd condition and I prefer not to put a shiney new one in there. Apparently you need to know the type of plastic in order to match the welding rod material. Epoxy and JB Weld have both failed due to the slippery texture of the plastic and the heat. Is it polyethylene?

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, I have a nice bottle that you can have, and it has a nice patina.

Funny timing. I’m holding one in my hand now. Agreed on the patina. This one is for the Polaris car on BaT right now. I would say that the plastic is ABS. It is still soft and bendy after 45 years.

55332D78-2AC9-45FA-A99C-12F1F5FB1F85.jpeg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've plastic welded many things over the years but never a washer bottle. My gut tells me you won't be able to weld it. Plastics like that tend to melt and burn away before softening and running together. You'd have to be able to "stitch" it first, or press a flat tipped soldering iron at an angle along the crack lines in an over-lapping line and form a stitch pattern. This welds the material together, then you can go back over it for aesthetics. I would say it would be nice to practice on a bad bottle first but it may not matter.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, this is probably the way to go, I am sure to screw mine up given Dan's description. I'll message you, thanks much. And a shoutout to Keshav who also offered to send me his. This forum never ceases to amaze. I may take a shot at welding this anyway now that I have a replacement, I'll post my findings.

The crack:

jYquPS0u6vhgVeooYFZWuekLqdLP2a8r40gHH7Mzc2kmQ9PNihqsKWaYb6sJKuQ4fFG5HECbGfe00lxf06KrqAPqcO4MoFetsSH8G303__JcV_iOe_aPfzUpZFXon3tAqZwFQuzqeLoKLsI0oqPcwNZnWyKcHV77t1hgFq5ze-kAvFyxN69GPBCj_i7PfsEl5NbK5EWw3FDY-JALZWPDGEyidy_c6Ue45v2KZmSh1O0uuqSLVhJ1k3-CIBnA71kjdL6NENDoUqvQeF3Xn-F1RBYMz0X1REuLgWjk-kl4DapYrpqOUlyNzifN3RmEeK4XZsgdFvlOeklVqe20Cy6TfgDa5oPbgY1e-gmSHPXIK7nt72KhRaCFKAdLyoVLajm0zIvUxxt8rfx4MJyJg8cB-sxJUwbnmlk--TWOMtQ2hioUaWgy8JPcZNmIDOJxvlqC53Ihai_ev4wyNHTRdQVbxj3Bdu47ji1pPfHwDAxt7xF4u4VNHKXCGU0-pXLsWDWjskpPgPNaBb0O1lI4s7sHU7jkfwSm6GURiJ3_GfWq67NsBsNVxD0MvQBl1UICuT1BqqPWRXDUED8vN1N5T5ziUB5zthLCdIMoeYXi4-LTLvmn70GRXk3KoLRENYgx-CsRRj9ST3Hc1jBlM5bNSgQhYms9ofVO78M=w586-h781-no

Patina:

J426WXKm3V5ZbgDtGvacSBJIDL97kujMBH9P5KW4jRPCfZEfKDwxpGuVY4k4FPLSMV0QrPrOu71fWaCYS7Vs3LsJkvvbn76d_4sLxHcQDrjXNjBEu71ZFt9SpP3-Ylo9131zExOisFxX3OYviVKjKHxSZVVAJywraZDmc2RUUMUTHaRGJWczlCFDCIDeTvCbSHd-oNuBCDBjdoW9bDOG43O1tE6dqUlrCIoMiopSvzB3S-HFu2XoqO8j7_ikKTjdvjFZ_I1aOMamc68noBzqvTbV1NfWgfzNWUbAWywbIk3zI-aV_PSiMECfIVaOTgMf5PagK-9F5smZhQl4n0dwRuQkFD7MU2kdqVPpKxlG_FrPSp72baYkbP8m0mWd23ygEpS0-WNSNC4o8fajxg9XxIOIXxejWa3cHvzTDBL9YwcqyQMFTMHzSTYvUzY7VO72Qns3ah0_UTbTsYWHVaFef4nKtNyC5yzWMzfw9J5KQq9oXEH4GJ8szNYu0GUtXonP5HuGWsfMDNse9LyHLMhIdzjHHUQ8PASOHMkbr14wZR0uPCi4Xt9S3Jv8Sy9yGw1t6G5TypJ0LBAjDUbFxmVov3ttJOETkiwLFF_B1HCEMtZw5e0Ma1-KkuWqRJFIUp1gXI_MjwjqQRB96iY94OSBAHgdBY9Iapk=w1042-h781-no

Steve, I have a nice bottle that you can have, and it has a nice patina.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tank seems like the crack seems manageable, but I’m no plastic welder. Kudos to @HB Chris and @Keshav for the freebie!

I had to get a new tank with dual prongs. It is
so stark white, it reminds me of when Ross
had his teeth whitened on Friends. Patina
FTW!

39013CB1-5BBC-4D10-8DB2-DA7C8B70CD8A.jpeg

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, off topic but it looks like this thread is done anyway. I laughed the other day because my son was assembling his '01 S2000 after paint and complaining about the plastic fasteners breaking. At the same time, I was installing the plastic straps that hold the wire and windshield wiper hoses on the bulkhead of my E3. Those straps are 50 years old and every one of them came out and went back in without a problem. Still very pliable after all these years.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I actually did weld mine. It lasted for 2 years driving 5000 Kms/year untill i drove it up a carlift 6 years ago that it hasnt left ever since.

The plastic i think is indeed PE, thats why it feels so slippery, almost fatty. (Chemically PE is not unlike candlewax... ) I welded it with PP welding rod and it did hold, but not very strong. PE welding rod would have been better. I used a welder that preheates the material with the nozzle being in contact with the object. The temperature must be accurately controlled, as it becomes too soft quickly. Then as it liquifies into peanut butter like consistency shake the tip of the welder to mix the rod into the base matetial. This ensures mechanical mixing of the molecules.

PE is the material of choice for milk cans and the like, choose a thicker one to practice on.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The plastic i think is indeed PE, thats why it feels so slippery, almost fatty. (Chemically PE is not unlike candlewax... )

That is a very accurate description of the way the factory tank feels. Almost like it never dried completely.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Why not buy a new one? I think Jaymic have them and W&N.
For what's worth I just fixed a broken heater box, which is also plastic but different to this.
I found a really good two part epoxy that sets hard but is elastic so will not crack/let go in the face of vibration.
You can also use it in combination with fiber glass weave or carbon matting.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My engine compartment has a nice "mellowed" look to it and I like the look of an original matching tank. They don't make new tops right so that would clash? Anyway I think in my repair attempts it was the slippery nature of the plastic and the heat from the exhaust that make for a quick failure. It's also in a tight spot where it fits into the bracket so not easy to build up and still have it fit. HBChris has kindly offered up a vintage replacement.

Why not buy a new one? I think Jaymic have them and W&N.
For what's worth I just fixed a broken heater box, which is also plastic but different to this.
I found a really good two part epoxy that sets hard but is elastic so will not crack/let go in the face of vibration.
You can also use it in combination with fiber glass weave or carbon matting.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Okay, off topic but it looks like this thread is done anyway. I laughed the other day because my son was assembling his '01 S2000 after paint and complaining about the plastic fasteners breaking. At the same time, I was installing the plastic straps that hold the wire and windshield wiper hoses on the bulkhead of my E3. Those straps are 50 years old and every one of them came out and went back in without a problem. Still very pliable after all these years.

Family gave us a 2006 Lexus for my daughter. I drove it and tried to decline. Repair estimate just to make it safe was $5k, so I dug in. Every other piece of plastic I've touched is broken or about to break. Compared to E9 where all the extra door card clips and the like I've purchased are now spares b/c the originals are strong and pliable. Lexus has 125k and every suspension bushing/boot is trashed and vacuum hoses splitting.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lexus has 125k and every suspension bushing/boot is trashed and vacuum hoses splitting.
And probably still better than most other 2006 vehicles on the road. :) I have an 05 Scion xB as our family back-up car, the X-Box car. I got it because they can literally run forever. I just bought another 05 for my work and my son and I have decided to flip it since I have all the parts it needs to do the repairs. It has 91k and when I raised it up on the forklift the underside was completely clean, not one drop of oil anywhere.