Points heel/rubbing block melting

Mango

Reaction score
Hi all

Some help with my CSL points please – the heel/rubbing block that contacts the cam has melted and bent backwards at the joint with the metal points “arm”. This obviously led to huge problems with spark and therefore running (difficult to diagnose with all new stock components too!).

I figure that too much current must be going through and overhearing the points – what are likely reasons? Ignition switch not cutting off current?

Ideas much appreciated

Thanks

Malc

Reaction score
Mango,
I have had this happen on other cars so it is not just your car. there are serveral possibilities, I'll list all the ones I can remember!

If the point contacts are badly pitted or burnt then a lot of heat is being generated. Check that your condensor is good
Make sure that the "spring" part that pushes the heel against the cam is seated correctly otherwise "over pressure" will cause it to wear the heel. Sometimes pattern parts have too high a spring force.
When putting in the points make sure that there is no binding at the pivot point.
When installing make sure they seat properly on the base plate.
Smear a liitle dab of high temp grease on the cam to lubricate the heel.
HTH
Malc

Mango

Reaction score
The ballast resistor doesn't get hot - isnt that the normal sign that it's on the way out?

Philip Slate

Reaction score
My suggestion is (as usual) is to ditch the ballast resistor and accompanying coil and replace with a Bosche Blue coil that does not need the resistor, assuming that originality is not an issue.