Poll: Car show folks - Hood open or closed?

Do you prop your hood open at car shows?

• Total voters

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what you guys typically do. I rarely go to car shows, spectator or otherwise.

The reason that I am asking is that some 3D printed materials are UV sensitive, particularly PolyJet printed plastics. I haven't printed anything with PolyJet other than prototypes, but they have some amazing simulated rubber options and colored translucents.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At CCA National Concours events, we have rules to open hoods at the request of the judges. After that you can leave it open if you want.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think folks w/nasty engine compartments needs to leave the hood/bonnet down. I see too much of that at shows.

dbower

Reaction score
Keith Martin has opined against open hoods in general as a distraction from enjoying the design of the vehicle. I'm happy to open mine if someone has a question but I generally leave it down. Added advantage: less likely to decapitate someone in a stiff wind.

Don

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
People seem to want to know what's under the hood and I like to look at others' so I just do it, but I agree it ruins the lines.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I happen to have two BMW's with interesting engines and very clean compartments.
IMG_7361.JPG

The coupe with triple side draft Webers and headers. Soon to be a new engine compartment. IMG_4778.JPG

With that said I know a BMW owner that has a 328, 507, M1 and others. He is adamant against hoods up because it destroys the line of the car. I totally understand.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hood up not as good for other people taking pictures I have found. By request only makes sense. Of course same goes for trunk/boot. Unless triple Webers LOL.