Porsche 928

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
+ 10 years ago i started to make a copy of Carl Fausett's 928 ( https://928motorsports.com/ ) as one of my projects , but did not complete it due other projects as rallying a E9 :D

Got that car from under the dust and plan to finish it now... IF the engine is OK which i bought at the time , the latest 16V from '86. If that doesn't work out i sure have no plans to look further in the past '86 32V engines.
Biggest change is to run the engine with 4 IDA48's carbs instead of the "old" injection stuff, that's why the opening in the hood , for the trumpets . :cool:

PS the grey one is a old race car which i bought years ago to have a spare body....

SAM_2780.JPG
SAM_2781.JPG
SAM_2782.JPG

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Barry,

Carl has obviously had a lot of success with his car. I recently drove from the bottom to the top of Pike's Peak in Colorado for the first time (unfortunately, a rental Camry!). But, that trip gave me even greater respect for Car's achievements in the hill climb race with his modified 928. It will be great to have TWO such capable cars - one on each side of the Atlantic. Good luck and keep us (at least me) advised of progress. I drove 928's for 15 years, an '89 S4 for the Porsche Club 'High Performance Driving' program on road tracks, and for the last 6 years a '94 GTS for highway driving. Truly GREAT cars and still much under-appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
thanks Gary for reply. Yes, we have cars in common, E9,850,928...
Suspension, brakes, wheels, etc is copy of Carl's car at around 2010. I even made the complete nose demountable as on his car. I test drove it with the oem engine ( '82) with IDA48's but that engine was worn .

92819.jpg

Plan was that a Belgian Porsche racing shop would build me a new engine , a 6 liter with sleeves, new 944 heads ( bigger valves) , GTS crankshaft, custom made pistons , dry sump, solid valves, injection with ITB's, etc... a real race engine bought for at least 480 HP.... yep, they went broke and disappeared with my almost finished engine …. i had 25K in it so far.... you understand that i lost interest in that project for some years…...:(
I did bought a fresh low mileage '86 16V (the latest version 16V ) at the time as spare , so i will build that one in the car.
Engine will stay oem , except windage tray in sump, headers and all the old injection stuff removed for IDA48's ! ( i like carb's :D ) Hope to have 320 HP or a bit more.... believe Carl is now playing around 900-1000 HP.... with supercharger of course.
A personal touch is my trunk lid : i replaced the (heavy) glass by a alu piece made as "Ferrari look" …

SAM_2784.JPG

o well, i must say i lost interest track racing meanwhile, i prefer much more rallying. I get bored after 5 laps .
So we will see, either i sell this one when completed, or keep it as a souvenir because all those hours that i spend on it .

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
this is the grey one (years ago :D ) racing in the Belgian Bravo Championship …. a '90 928 GT , ever bought as a spare body and the later years transaxle … but the engine was beaten hard on the tracks.
928grijs.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
my build is a '82 928 , bought as a oem street car .
9281.jpg

92810.jpg
9288.jpg
9289.jpg
92812.jpg
92813.jpg

installing a later type transaxle , which are better than the first build years...

92817.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
so far so good…. the engine has perfect compression and oil pressure. Could not test it on the engine stand as the starter crown wheel is on the clutch , not the flywheel. Also starter motor mounts on bellhousing , not engine. So crane and supports .
SAM_2816.JPG

now a bit fiddling with carbs and gas system setup... more easy than with engine in car ...

SAM_2815.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
pulled the car on the lift …. and started some inspection/cleaning parts. I was lucky to still have a new front big brake kit … rotors on the car were 300 mm , now 320 mm. Think those are the "Turbo" brakes as called among Porsche guys. Brake pads are same length but of course 10 mm higher.
I have the wheels in 9",11" and 13".... so can drive sets 9&11 or 11&13.

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
all my CCW wheels have the polished alu centers.... but i do like the way Carl Fausett has painted his in dark grey… matt black ?
But i would paint also the bolts to let them less "visible" .

Carl Fausset.jpg

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Barry,

Are the front rotors from a GTS? The GTS fronts and the 911 turbo rear were the same rotors as I recall (been out of the 928 world for about 5 years, so may be wrong). I put GTS rotors on my '89 S4. The only mod I needed to do was put a 10mm spacer between the calipers and their mounting surface (and 10 mm longer bolts of course). With that setup, I did not have psf contact with the inner 10 mm of the rotor, but added 10 mm on the outer radius from that of the OE S4 brakes. Much greater braking surface as a result.

Lookin' good.

Cheers,

Gary

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
don't know Gary , i have them also for more than 10 years…. but i do have the right calipers also which take indeed brake pads that are 10 mm higher. I see what you did , placed your calipers/pads on the outer side , so in fact not more friction surface but working at a higher rotation speed of the rotor.
SAM_2825.JPG

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Barry,,
Yes - not more surface per se, as that is dictated by the pad size. But that 10mm outer radial surface cools a lot better 'I think' than that inner 10 mm of the rotor. Anyway, I liked the slowing effect better for the 6-8 road race tracks I was driving on with that car